Old 10-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashamutt View Post
Hello all.
Thanks for all of the great info.... have been reading for hours.

I hope that I am allowed to post here even though I do not have a Forest River TT.
My hubby and I almost bought one, but there was just not enough room for his wheelchair.

We ended up getting a "new" 2009 Dutchman Aerolite 25FK because the floorplan was perfect for his chair.

Now, on to why I "quoted" this message.

We purchased a wheelchair lift because we could no longer use ramps.
WWW.AUC-MAN.COM

(Our lift will not be this large and it will have 2 actuators.)

It will be about 30" wide and 44" long.
It will have about a 5' height. (as tall as me! )

It will weigh about 165lbs WITH the actuators attached.
I plan on removing both of them before travel.

Ours will be permanently welded together so no having to "assemble and dissemble" every time. (yeh)

Please bare with me....I am getting to the question.....

The only way for us to carry this with us is to load it on the back of the T.T.
And, from what I have been reading it does not sound like a good idea.

Mike, will the frame receiver hitch you posted work for this?
(The LIFT is 2" receiver ready.)
Our first camper was an Aerolite. Because of the frame(being used at the time), it would not support any hitch. The newer Aerolite trailers utilize an I-beam frame construction. Without actually looking at your frame, You'd have to direct your question to someone who can actually view it in person. A welder or fabrication shop should be able to help you out with that.

BTW, Welcome to FRF. We allow any brand RVers here; and am glad you stopped by to post this question.

Enjoy the forums,

Old 10-02-2010, 09:08 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondlady View Post
I'm trying to figure out how to carry my mobility scooter and am running into the same problems. For now, I am using 10' ramps to get it into the PU truck, but that sure is not ideal. If anybody figures out how I can attach it to either the truck or the RV, please let me know.
Jan,

Have you kicked around the idea of installing a Front Mounted Hitch on your truck ??

Old 10-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #43
Jan Goldfield

I have, Mike. I have the hitch and the platform/ramp is cheap enough. I suspect that will be what I do eventually. Another (and better way, I think), is to mount a foldable hoist on the side of the truck. I have been looking for someone who will install it for me, but have struck out so far. Uhaul and Topper World have declined. We are leaving tomorrow, so I am stuck with those 10' ramps from ground to truck bed until we return in a month. The ramps hook together sideways to give me a rather steep slope to drive the scooter up and are heavy as the dickens.
Expect pics from Arkansas and Missouri as we ramble around.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #44

Jan, if you find yourself near water, check out a marine/boat shop. Maybe a dinghy hoist will be suitable for you.

Check out something like this. Maybe try West Marine, too.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #45
Jan Goldfield

Yup, perfect. I got one of those already. Almost Harmar Mobility Products Lifts. Outside and Inside Power Lifts for Mobility Scooters, Power Chair and Wheelchair Carriers and Lifts from Harmar Mobility Products.

Trust me, I never looked like the blonde when I was winching the spinnaker or mainsail a few years ago.

Anyway I can't find anyone who will install it for me. If I could hammer it in, I could do it with ease, but I am not a welder. I have found a foldable hoist but it needs to be welded to the truck frame. I can check at West and see what they got.

Thanks a bunch. I never would have thought of it.

2009 Ford 150
Old 10-03-2010, 01:23 AM   #46
Mrs. Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondlady View Post
I'm trying to figure out how to carry my mobility scooter and am running into the same problems. For now, I am using 10' ramps to get it into the PU truck, but that sure is not ideal. If anybody figures out how I can attach it to either the truck or the RV, please let me know.

Are you wanting to carry it on the back of the T.T?
(like what we are wanting to do with the AUC-MAN wheelchair Lift?)

If so, you might be able to use this for your scooter...
Welcome to toppertowninc.com
Fusion Lift- Model AL300

The AL300 Fusion lift offers the convenience of being able to carry either a power chair or a scooter with one lift. This lift is compatible with virtually every scooter or power chair available and uses easy to operate retactors to secure the scooter or power chair.
Lifting Capacity - 350 lbs
Maximum Scooter Width - 27"
Max Scooter Wheelbase - 42"
Installed Weight - 105 lbs
Hitch Height - 5" - 19"
Hitch Class - II or III

They also have a smaller model called the Micro Scooter Lift - Model AL010

I am guessing – from all of the reading that I have been doing - you will need to have a "frame" mounted receiver hitch on your T.T. (?)

I do not know where to go to find out about Frame Mounted hitches...and I really want to speak with an expert.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I will be soooo happy and thankful.

We used to use 2 ramps on our old T.T., but since moving up in height to a “3 stepper” it will be just too steep for him to roll on them. (he would pop a wheelie on the way down, but too steep for that now)
That’s why we are getting the AUC-Man Lift and it is hitch-ready.

The man that invented and manufactures them carries them on the back of his 5th-wheel all over the country, but I have been reading that a 5th wheel and a T.T are 2 different birds altogether when it comes to carrying things on the back.
(?)
I am trying to read and learn all that I can about TT's & rear hitches, but I am on info-overload at the moment(lol) and I am just not sure what to do, where to go and who to talk to.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:39 AM   #47
Mrs. Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
Our first camper was an Aerolite. Because of the frame(being used at the time), it would not support any hitch. The newer Aerolite trailers utilize an I-beam frame construction. Without actually looking at your frame, You'd have to direct your question to someone who can actually view it in person. A welder or fabrication shop should be able to help you out with that.

BTW, Welcome to FRF. We allow any brand RVers here; and am glad you stopped by to post this question.

Enjoy the forums,

Thanks Mike, for the welcome.

I am a 2 year member over at t-shirtforums and they have a very similar forum set up as you all - so I feel at home already.

I will really try to do major reading first before I ask any questions, but this RV terminology is all new to me so please everyone forgive me if I ask newbie questions sometimes. (like, what does 5'r mean? lol...no, just kidding....it means 5th-wheel, right?) (or does it?)

Mike, what was the manufacture year of your Aerolite?
Ours is a 2009, and the brochure states that it does have the coated I-Beam frame.
(this is good,, right?)

I guess the first thing I should do on Monday is call Dutchmen and see if a frame mounted hitch is possible AND where to find the nearest Dutchmen approved welder-shop...so as not to void the 1 year warranty.

I will let you know how the call goes.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:58 AM   #48
Mrs. Bacon

Here is a good thread - with great pictures - about hauling things on the rear of a TT.
Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: hitch/carrier on rear of TT

If any of you experts out there read it, would you please give me your opinions on the matter when you have the time?

Me and my hubby(paralyzed vet) are totally new to carrying things on the rear of a TT.

I have read that bikes get a thrashing and I really want to make sure our wheelchair lift will be safe and secure. I do not want it falling off of the back and causing an accident!

If there are any threads that you all know of concerning this please let me know.

Ok…I am off to buy a SHERLINE Trailer Tongue Weight Scale right now.
(I love the net! 5am shopping, can’t beat it)
Old 10-03-2010, 06:53 AM   #49
Jan Goldfield

I think I am gonna stick to trying to carry my scooter in the PU truck. That way I will be able to tote it when I am not towing a trailer as well. I know how it can be done, just can't find anyone who wants to fool with doing it.

2009 Ford 150
Old 10-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

FWIW, on my Surveyor, adding 40 lbs. to the bumper takes 15 lbs. of weight off of the tongue. And that is on the bumper, not hanging further our which would take off more weight from the tongue. Be careful that you don't take too much weight off of the tongue and make the trailer prone to sway. You need to keep that at least 15% of the total trailer weight, and 12% would be better.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike