Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #81

what about inside? Seems like that would be easier, less expensive, safer for your fancy bikes from a security standpoint, and less likely to result in damage to the camper or your bikes.
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #82

Thanks for the input. Here is something interesting. I may be kicked off the forum for saying this: Our best friends have a 2 inch receiver put on the bumper of their 26' fifth wheel. They have a Saris 2 bike Cycle-on Pro rack (which is no lightweight) and their two hybrid bikes. Have been hauling this set-up around for 8 years traveling 6 months of each year. Never a problem. Their camper is an Arctic Fox by Northwoods Mfg. He said he bought this camper because he knew it was "a tank".
BillyandKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:23 AM   #83

Your friend with a A-Fox and your X-Lite are not even in the same class. A-Fox has a H/D frame unlike X-Lite welded sheet metal frame. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #84
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Your friend with a A-Fox and your X-Lite are not even in the same class. A-Fox has a H/D frame unlike X-Lite welded sheet metal frame. Youroo!!
This is a very important point to make. It bears repeating that the thrust recently in RV manufacture is "Green." Lighter trailer products use less gas and can be towed with higher efficiency vehicles or "down classed" ones.

For example, camper lengths and floor plans that could only be towed by 3/4 ton class trucks are now advertised as 1/2 ton tow-able. How this is done is by reducing the weight of the camper by using materials and construction methods that limit the excess engineering in previous rigs. It also reduces the useful life of the product by removing that "over-engineering."

In the past car and truck manufacturer's used "planned obsolescence" in the design and construction of their products; targeting replacement at the 8 year point was just good business. In fact, most cars "rusted out" before they wore out and needed replacement every 5-8 years.
Older drivers know exactly what I am talking about.

TANSTAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

When compromises are made to achieve one result; it always results in unintended consequences.

Reducing frame weight to reduce overall weight, will by its nature reduce frame strength commensurate with that weight savings. This compromise will ultimately result in a shorter useful life and almost no additional functionality beyond what is delivered and stated in the brochure (payload and maximum gross weight).

"This is NOT A FLAW - It is a feature" (as Microsoft would say...)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #85
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyandKris View Post
This is my first time to post. I realize this message is very old. We have a 2013 Rockwood 26' Fifth Wheel and need to put 2" receiver to haul a Kuat two-bike rack weights 60 lbs. The two bikes are lightweight hybrids. So total about 130 lbs. bikes and rack. We were going to get a welder to beef up things a bit. After reading all these posts we are thinking we have messed up. Can you tell us more about how to do what you did. Our trailer is enclosed underneath with a membrane so you cannot see the frame. Our bikes are too expensive to hang on front of the truck catching bugs and what-all else. We were going to put a cover on them. Bike riding is one of our main pastimes. In the past have hauled them like this, but with a different type of bike rack that was just for a camper, but it was hooked to the bumper. This rack would go from truck to camper as needed while traveling. This camper seems a bit "bouncy".
if you are going to put a cover on the bikes anyway - why are you worried about bugs?

Next best alternative would be inside your 5er.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #86
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
if you are going to put a cover on the bikes anyway - why are you worried about bugs?

Next best alternative would be inside your 5er.
If put on the front of the truck, I believe covering them is a bad idea. My Alison trans temps ran about 4 degrees hotter with the bikes on the front. Blocking air flow completely would cause overheating, I think; not to mention blocking the full span of headlights and turn signals.

If truck front is out of the question; covering them with a moving blanket inside the camper would be my next choice.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #87
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
If put on the front of the truck, I believe covering them is a bad idea. My Alison trans temps ran about 4 degrees hotter with the bikes on the front. Blocking air flow completely would cause overheating, I think; not to mention blocking the full span of headlights and turn signals.

If truck front is out of the question; covering them with a moving blanket inside the camper would be my next choice.
good point...that might not have worked out so well.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike