Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #1

bike hitch for my ultralight. is it advisable?

One of the most inconvenient things of our travels is getting the bikes in/out of the back of my truck. My manual says not to add any bike rack/hitch to trailer as it could void the warranty - yet I see hitches on trailers all the time. Anyone have firsthand experience with this?
1 wonderful wife
and too many Toys to bring along!
rvron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:19 PM   #2

I have a 2010 2607 that we purchased a bike carrier for that goes around the spare tire. It holds two bikes and we plan on trying it out this weekend. Wasn't hard to install and I agree taking the bikes in and out of the truck is a pain. I will let you know how it holds up.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I added bike racks to the bed rails of my truck, which keeps the bikes out of the bed, so other things can be carried there. See my signature photo.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
Site Team

you can find hundreds of posts about upset owners who put a bike rack on the rear bumper of their ultra-lite trailer, only to find that the bumper failed and their bikes/rack were bouncing down the road.

bigger, heavier trailers, like 5th wheels, have beefier frames and bumpers. ultralites don't.

the only successful way to do this, is to have a receiver welded AND braced to the frame and bumper. many have done it with success. but it will void most frame warranties.

there is the Toppoprails tongue-mounted bike rack system but it costs around $500.

personally, my bikes are worth, at least, $1000 each, so i refuse to put them where i can't see them.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastlakeRoo View Post
I have a 2010 2607 that we purchased a bike carrier for that goes around the spare tire. It holds two bikes and we plan on trying it out this weekend. Wasn't hard to install and I agree taking the bikes in and out of the truck is a pain. I will let you know how it holds up.

I took my tire mount bike hitch to Key West and back with no problem (I thought). I noticed the bumber caps were falling out at every gas stop but did not put 2+2 together until I contacted FR about it.

Those heavy bikes located 18 -24 inches from the bumber twist that flimsey tubular steel bumper like nobody's business. That twisting was working the rubber caps out of the ends of the tube.

I solved it (so far) by adding a reciever hitch to the front of the truck and bought another (!) bike carrier for the front hitch. I also bought a 4 inch bumper hitch that I bolted on the camper bumper just to hold the carrier when I am in camp so I can drive around the area without toting the bikes along. Not the best answer (BY FAR) but its what works right now.

My pin box is so flimsy I was worried about solutions that mount the bikes up there (not to mention clearance problems with my short bed). Oh did I mention climbing up there to mount the bikes and get em down? I think after a season it would be the end of carrying bikes!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
Site Team

remember, travel trailers don't have shocks. so they bounce.

bikes on the rear bumper will bounce and pull back on the rear bumper, since they are a distance away from the trailer.
this flexing will occur over and over, causing eventual failure on the bumper's welds.

whereas a spare tire is as close as possible. this lowers this type of movement.

adding bikes to a spare tire is even worse. you're adding the bikes weight to the spare tire's weight, all on one spot of the bumper.

and less expensive bikes weigh a lot more than expensive bikes.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:03 PM   #7

How about those bike carriers that hook on the ladder. Do they work? or do they present another set of problems?
Sagebrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush View Post
How about those bike carriers that hook on the ladder. Do they work? or do they present another set of problems?
My ladder is pretty shakey. It scares me when I have to go up there for maintenance. The only thing on my ladder is a flag bracket and it will "break away" in a wind strong enough to damage the ladder.

I really did look at those before I dropped a lot of money on a new carrier and fron hitch. If the ladder starts to pull loose, there is no way to re-attach it. The blocks are molded into the wall at just the right places.

If fact on a different post, someone stated that if you did not order the ladder at the factory, the blocks were MISSING and you could not install one aftermarket. I don't know if that is true, but having seen other crazyness it just might be.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #9

I think I saw that Thule has made a rack line which mounts across the back of the trailer. Then they sell different attachments; ie bike "hangers" for them to ride back there. I thought there could be weight distribution issues with this since added weight to the rear could significantly reduce the hitch weight. Transporting bikes seems to be a universal concern. I'm surprised that (so far) there are no easy answers. And FYI: I have a cap on my TV which makes even trickier to remove those bikes.
Anyone have any luck with securing them INSIDE the trailer? I am considering a tandem and thought this might be the way to go.
1 wonderful wife
Old 07-20-2010, 10:09 PM   #10

I have been carrying them in the backseat of the pick-up. A real pain getting them in and out,and replacing the front wheel.Then there is the "rattle" problem. I hate to hear rattles when I'm driving. I bungi them down as best I can.
Sagebrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:13 PM   #11

For your set-up.

Front mounted receiver hitch.
Receiver mounted bike rack.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:26 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post

Yep, that's what I have now.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:38 AM   #13
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
There is a potential solution for many folks who face this problem, but it will cost a bit of money. It is called a front mount receiver hitch or, in the old days, a spotting hitch. Here is a model that I think will fit your truck.

Front Mount Class III Receivers - JCWhitney

Google "front mount receiver hitch" for other options.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:00 AM   #14
Site Team - Lou

I also have a 4" bumper receiver on the back of the Ultralight.
I use it when we are AT camp to hold the truck's nose bike carrier.
This way I don't have to drive around town with the bike carrier stuck to the nose of the truck. The truck is long enough already.

The carrier goes back to the truck when we are ready to leave.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #15

I put one of those front receivers on my old f150. I always wondered if it was legal to have somewhat of a battering ram in the front of the truck. Since you guys do it, I guess it's OK???
1 wonderful wife
Old 07-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvron View Post
I put one of those front receivers on my old f150. I always wondered if it was legal to have somewhat of a battering ram in the front of the truck. Since you guys do it, I guess it's OK???
I guess every truck with a winch in front is breaking the law...

The idea is not to hit anyone with your truck
Old 07-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

The only problem I see with mounting the bikes on the front is blocking the headlights or turn signals, which may be an offense with some state traffic laws.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #18

I saw a tongue mounted bike rack I like. It is a A frame welded across the tongue frame between the battery box and the front of the trailer. The A frame has a hitch receiver socket welded on top. A receiver hitch bike rack mounts into the receiver socket. The height of the mount places the bikes above the propane tanks. The A frame looks like it is made of 2" square steel. Does anyone see a problem with mounting across the tongue?

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:14 PM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
The only problem I see with mounting the bikes on the front is blocking the headlights or turn signals, which may be an offense with some state traffic laws.
Wow, that's a good point.

I don't drive at night as a rule, and no one has stopped me yet during the day.

I guess if they did I could tell the officer I will move the bikes to the rear of the camper (Camping storage mount) to get me home.

Any state troopers out there in the ether who can weigh in on this?
Old 07-24-2010, 05:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Bikes, hanging on the front mounted rack, are long enough to interfere with the head lights and turn signals?

I just now went out and measured mine. They are 5' 1" long. Even at 6', I don't thing the spokes and tires will interfere with the effectiveness of the lighting.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike