Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #21
Another rat in the race

It also depends on the rack you have.

if you can get the bikes on the tongue it will work better but on my new trailer there is barely room for the tanks and battery.

When I bought the trailer we needed to put the bikes on the back but I didn't trust the bumper so we cut it off, welded a 20" rack with angled bracing that welded right to the frame, welded the bumper back on( People think its factory ), placed an alum. tool box on 1 side, then I made a 2" hitch that sat up above the rack and used a standard bike rack like this one.

things went fine for the first trips but then the rack it self failed and my bike fell down and back between the trailer and hitch (first dents are always the hardest) and the movement was so violent that the other 3 bikes almost came off and my sons bell just exploded.

Since then I added 1 stiffener to the hitch system (not sure I needed it but had the metal and time) and I bought a bike rack like this

and believe my it is worth the money the bikes are solid.

I did take the spare tire off and I just put it under the bed for long trips I will put a second in the truck.

I'll try and take pictures this weekend while camping
Old 05-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #22
Another rat in the race

Here are the Pics of the back rack with the bike rack folded for only 2 bikes. I wouldn't go loading it down with lead but the tool box has bulky items in it a tent and wash supplies and a extending ladder, bikes, rack and mounting 2" receiver weigh in at about 350lbs I think then you add 300lbs of person standing on it and it is still VERY solid. My shop neighbor that shows me how to weld designs race cars and he gave me his seal of approval on the design before the welding

Old 05-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Many people forget that campers have no shocks. There is way more vertical movement in the rear of a camper than there is on the rear of a car or truck. That movement is made worse by the distance from the rear wheels. What is a safe load on a car (couple of feet from the rear wheels to the load) may not be on a camper where there may be many feet from rear wheels to the load. It does not matter what that load is (bike or cargo rack). Stay safe out there.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack, hitch