Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #1

Blinded By the Light

The last 2 times out we have arrived after it was dark. Both spots required some backing and maneuvering. The reverse lights reflecting off the 5th wheel presented a blinding situation. I ended up draping a jacket over each tail light so I could see in my mirrors. I am concidering installing a backup light cutout switch to turn them off. Has any one else had this issue and how have you dealt with it.
Wally
Old 09-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Well, this is another reason not to "over reach" on the number of hours to drive each day. I always try to arrive at a campground with two hours of daylight remaining to check in; get parked and setup before dark.

If I have to drive more hours than "normal" for us; we just suck it up and leave early. I would rather pull out at dawn (or at end of camp quiet hours) in that case than arrive after dark. Kids, cars and obstructions (overhead and near the slides) make it too hazardous even with lights.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #3

This was not the case at all with either trip. 1 st trip our departure had to be late for the weekend till my wife got out of work 7pm and 3hr drive. This weekend we attended the Red Sox Tampa Bay game at Fenway then drove 1 hr west and arrived at 12 mid. If we are going on long runs I agree that time management is a must. When you are limited to a weekend out of work there is a different time management that I use. Has anyone had an issue with the backup lights being a distraction while backing at night?
Old 09-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

My apologies Wally,

Perhaps a disconnect switch to kill power to the backup lights?
They are separately fused in most trucks so you should be able to isolate them with a kill switch (or pull the fuse).

Just remember to turn them back on after you are parked.

As to additional lighting, some snap Chem lights to mark your spot would make a lane to run in on. They would also not irritate the neighbors like a flood light would.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:12 PM   #5

You could install backup lights on the rear of the trailer, there is a pin dedicated to backup lights on the standard 7 pin plug, the lights would only illuminate when the truck is in reverse, this would allow illumination at any time you needed to back up in the dark. I too as a working class citizen often arrive after dark, especially as the days are getting shorter.

Personally I have tolerance of late arrivers so long as they are respectful to their neighbors, using a backup light when the truck is in reverse would not offend me.

Now if they pull out their generator and run it with large halogen shop lights to illuminate the whole neighborhood, then I would be offended.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:24 PM   #6
Villa Estate 392FLFB

use the wife as a spotter with a good flashlight?
Old 09-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #7
Site Team

I like the idea of a disconnect switch but you have to remember to turn them back on.

I've even thought about adding a switch like a breakaway switch that would get hooked up each time the RV is connected disabling the backup lights and when the RV gets disconnected it would too and the lights would automatically be re-enabled.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I like the idea of a disconnect switch but you have to remember to turn them back on.

I've even thought about adding a switch like a breakaway switch that would get hooked up each time the RV is connected disabling the backup lights and when the RV gets disconnected it would too and the lights would automatically be re-enabled.
That would be a great idea. It would take someone smarter than me to figure how to wire it up though
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #9

i believe i would try and find that back up light switch and run a wire between it and a convenient location in the cab.
the back up lights i installed in the early 60's had a switch bolted to the steering column. on a horrizon, it was mounted on the transmission. can't remember if there were two switches: one for neutral and the other for backup.
i don't know how easy it is to get to the fuse or the associated wiring. plugging a switch in series with the backup switch looks like it would be easier. would be easy to remove w/o cutting wires also.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #10
daydreaming about camping

how about some velcor and a couple pieces of plastic? put the velcro (stick side, not the fussy side) on the lights, then when you need to, cover them iwth the piece of plastic. IF you forget to pull it off, the wind will take care of it for you.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #11

Well I have figured out the wiring on the Tundra and now know where to access the wires for a switch. I am now hunting for a switch that will fit in a spare spot in the cab that will also match. (not so easy to find). They do sell them with LED in he switch so I can have it lit when the backup lights are disabled. As Lou suggested there is a relay and fuse just under the dash to tap into.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #12
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stuff View Post
use the wife as a spotter with a good flashlight?
Why are you trying to start a fight?
Idle_Idylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #13

OK, I get it. Have the DW stand in the back with a flashlight. When the light disappears, pull forward.

This saves all the work of finding wires, switches and the like!

P.S. She doesn't know I wrote this!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote