Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2018, 08:33 AM   #1

Blue Ox Avail vs Demco Excali Bar II

Hooking up this morning noticed my old Roadmaster Sterling was starting to bind up a bit. Have already rebuilt it twice, but at 7 years old, planning on a new set up.
I am looking at 2 specific tow bars, a Blue Ox Avail and a Demco Excali Bar II. I want a heavy duty bar set up, thus those two choices. Both are way overkill for towing our Subaru XV, but price between the lower rated and higher rated is not alot.
I'm fimilar with the Blue Ox, but need input for the Demco Excali Bar II. Looks good on web sites, but looking for owners of that particular model. Price difference between the Blue Ox and the Demco is almost 200 bucks, so wondering if the Demco is good quality compared to Blue Ox (200 bucks more than the Demco)
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:41 AM   #2

Never heard of a demco, 99% of people are this forum either use the road master or blue ox, go with the proven.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:19 PM   #3

Not familiar with Demco - use the Blue Ox myself.
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:35 PM   #4

Demco has been around for many, many years. Just not as well known as the major other two, Blue Ox and Roadmaster.
Have been rv'ing and towing for many years, and know quality of Blue Ox. Was just looking for owners of Demco to get their opinion.
Grumpy

Old 06-16-2018, 01:10 PM   #5

After purchasing my 2018 GMC Dually I started looking for rails that would fit right into my bed pucks. Came across Demco and ordered there drop in rail for GMC and it fit exactly as advertised. I hooked up my Anderson receiver and it fit right into the rail slots. I know you are not looking for rails but I was impressed with Demco. I even called them to better understand their rail system and got a real person that fully explained their product. Great product and customer service.
ajbaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:51 PM   #6

I've been using the Blue Ox Avail for several years, and I've never had a problem. I pull a Yukon XL, so it would have no problem with your Subaru.

Personally, I like having a much heavier towbar than I need - if you want to tow something bigger later on, you don't have to buy a new towbar…
ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:55 AM   #7
TARVIDSON

Demco vs Blue Ox

I have towed with a Demco Commander for about the last 5 years. It works very well, hitches and unhitches even at bad angles and costs less than the Blue Ox and as the other person wrote, you get a live person with intimate knowledge of the product when you call. Blue Ox may be just as good but I have been very impressed with Demco.
TARVIDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaber View Post
After purchasing my 2018 GMC Dually I started looking for rails that would fit right into my bed pucks. Came across Demco and ordered there drop in rail for GMC and it fit exactly as advertised. I hooked up my Anderson receiver and it fit right into the rail slots. I know you are not looking for rails but I was impressed with Demco. I even called them to better understand their rail system and got a real person that fully explained their product. Great product and customer service.
X2
I’ve used their hitch for 4 years now (after a lot of research), & have talked with there rep several times when I switched tow vechicles. A big help with adapting & even helped out with costs.
ACE110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:17 PM   #9

grumpy0374
I noticed that you mentioned a Subaru XV, can I assume that you mean a Crosstrek? What year is it? I looked at the 2019 owners manual and it seems there isn’t a restriction on 4 down towing for the manual transmission. I own an automatic Outback and love it so I would be good with it as a toad.
My other option is a Mini Cooper w/manual transmission but the dealer says no flat towing. I’ve seen a lot of Mini Coopers being flat towed. It’s a big investment (this is also a second car) and would like to hear what this forum thinks.

I appreciate any replies in advance.
Gypsy7932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy7932 View Post
grumpy0374
I noticed that you mentioned a Subaru XV, can I assume that you mean a Crosstrek? What year is it? I looked at the 2019 owners manual and it seems there isn’t a restriction on 4 down towing for the manual transmission. I own an automatic Outback and love it so I would be good with it as a toad.
My other option is a Mini Cooper w/manual transmission but the dealer says no flat towing. I’ve seen a lot of Mini Coopers being flat towed. It’s a big investment (this is also a second car) and would like to hear what this forum thinks.

I appreciate any replies in advance.
First, as to your Outback with an auto tranny...DO NOT tow it 4 down. No auto Subi's can be towed 4 down, or even on a dolly. Must fe "flatbedded" on a trailer or flatbed tow truck.
Up until 2016 Subi had no restrictions on flat towing any Subaru with a manual transmission. Simple procedure to set it up to tow, with no mileage or speed restrictions.
On later years with the 6 speed manual, Subaru does not "recommend" flat towing, although the owners manual states it can be flat towed.
I can only speak of my 2013 XV, manual trans. Have towed it clost to 30,000 miles without any problems. Still going strong, and no plans to get rid of it.
I do know of owners who have bought newer Subaru XV, Impreza's, and Forresters with manual trannys, set them up to tow 4 down, and have had no problems at all.
Don't know anything about the Mini's, so can't comment.
Grumpy

Tags
blue ox