Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2017, 08:17 AM   #1

Blue Ox setup question

When I set the position of the chain tensioners on my Blue Ox WDH, I followed the instructions and positioned the tensioners with the chain straight up & down. However, that initial position is established with almost no tension on the bars. When I move the chain to the proper link to tension the bars, the chain is now slightly angled. Should I readjust the chain tensioner position or is this how it is supposed t be?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chain angle.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	152377  
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:16 AM   #2
Camper

I placed the rotating brackets based on the measurement given in the instruction booklet that Blue Ox provides. My chains are angled forward like yours. I have read numerous instances where Blue Ox has guided the consumer to move the brackets so the chains are straight. I plan on moving my brackets further back so the chains are straight.

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:25 PM   #3

My chains are straight when bars are engaged.

Mike
Old 09-24-2017, 05:09 PM   #4
Sham183

Ok from what I learned from mine when setting up is make sure you are level and parked straight both TV and TT. I know this seems like duh that’s a no brainer thing, but I had a similar issue when I set mine up the first time. I actually took my tools and everything with me to a school parking lot and had a few levels with me and made sure I was level both TT And TV front to back and left and right. Basically stripped everything off and started over from scratch. I measured my hitch and ball height again I was a little off. I had to raise one bolt hole on the shank. I also measured back again for my chain brackets. Those were not off but I did it again just to make sure I was where I needed to be. I believe 29” from the center of the coupler was the measurement from the manual if I remember right. I hooked up to the 9th link and my chains were straight now. I do not know if it was the fact I was not as level as I should have been or if I was not parked straight but either way my set up is better and I feel a lot better about it. If you still are unable to get it to work I would contact Blue OX. Blue OX is very helpful. I had some questions on mine and they responded to me in less than 24 hrs both by email and by phone. So they are very willing to help. I talked to a guy named Chad Luber at tech services with Blue ox.

Good luck
Tim
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:16 PM   #5

I measured mine and found that I had misplaced one because one chain was straight and the other angled. I reread instructions and it says to measure and then look at chains and readjust to straight.

X2 on the level surface and straight when setting up or adjusting the brackets. It is also important that you set both chains to the same link or things can get rather squirrelly on you.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:35 PM   #6

Thanks all - sounds like I need to go find that level parking lot and make an adjustment.
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:19 PM   #7
Sham183

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
Thanks all - sounds like I need to go find that level parking lot and make an adjustment.

[emoji106]

Let us know how things go for you. If it still seems off send some pictures so we can get a better look at what your dealing with so we can try to help.
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox