Old 05-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #1

Blue Ox Sway Pro

I bought a new travel trailer, La Crosse 318bls. The tongue weight is about 800 lbs. I bought the 1500 Sway Pro. The dealer told me I bought the wrong one. I should have bought the 1000. They said the hitch wouldn't work right with the heavier bars. The trailer isn't heavy enough to use the heavier bars. The only difference in the hitch are the bars. Is that fact or fiction?
I have always towed 5th wheels, 4 of them. I bought the heavier Hitch In the beginning. I never towed a Travel Trailer. I figured heavier was better, in this case too.
I must say towing the travel trailer is completely different. There was a lot of swaying going on, but the wind was 35 to 40 mph. Towing my 5th wheel down, to trade it in, I had no problem.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #2

The dealer is correct. The only thing you need is the bars, the hitch is the same. The bars you have are too stiff and they are transmitting all the force directly to you TV. I have the Blue Ox and have had no issues with sway at all and I am in a short wheelbase SUV (Explorer)

Old 05-22-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
Site Team

The lacrosse 318bhs on pt website has a tongue weight of 840 lbs. If it was like my lacrosse the mfg hitch weight is off by almost 200 lbs to start with.
Thinking when your loaded your hitch weight would be around 1000 to 1100 lbs or more.
So Im not so sure the 1000 lbs would be enough, but then again I dont have a blue ox.
Just my 2 cents
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbone View Post
I bought a new travel trailer, La Crosse 318bls. The tongue weight is about 800 lbs. I bought the 1500 Sway Pro. The dealer told me I bought the wrong one. I should have bought the 1000. They said the hitch wouldn't work right with the heavier bars. The trailer isn't heavy enough to use the heavier bars. The only difference in the hitch are the bars. Is that fact or fiction?
I have always towed 5th wheels, 4 of them. I bought the heavier Hitch In the beginning. I never towed a Travel Trailer. I figured heavier was better, in this case too.
I must say towing the travel trailer is completely different. There was a lot of swaying going on, but the wind was 35 to 40 mph. Towing my 5th wheel down, to trade it in, I had no problem.

I happen to have a tongue weight of 640 dry weight. I know I have at least 100 lbs of gear loaded in the front compartment (probably more). That takes me to 740 lbs. I have the 1000 Sway Pro. My TT tows just fine with this set up. If adjusted correctly you should not have a problem. I'm sure with your dry weight of 800, once loaded you would be close to or over the 1000 lbs rating. Get it adjusted correctly and you should be happy with it.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #5

I put the chains to the number 7 link, from the beginning. Should I try 8 or nine or go the other way like 5? I'm going to be towing it back the the dealer first week in June, table broke, getting that replaced. I guess once I find out what link to use, I should be good to go? Trial and error, maybe.
Thanks for all your responses.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:51 PM   #6

Whatever link you have to use to make your bars run parallel with the frame of the TT. Maybe one link past that depends on what works for you
Old 05-27-2014, 01:54 PM   #7

I traveled this past weekend. It was a short trip, about 1 hr. On the way to the campground I had 7 free links on the loose side of the chain. I was pretty happy with the ride. It was mostly major highway but there was some back road traveling on winding roads. There was some bouncing on the back roads. I attribute some of that to the fact that I a P rated tires. I had the pressure increased in the tires to 44 psi. That helped a lot from the previous trip where I only had 35 psi.

On the way home I decided to tighten up the chain one more link so I had 8 free links. This really helped the bounce. I can not speak for sway with wind yet since it has not been very windy while traveling yet.

I think you need to adjust one link at a time and find that optimal tension. As rsibarra2010 stated "whatever works for you".
Old 06-18-2014, 03:20 PM   #8

We took the trailer to Hunter Mountain for the Taste of Country Festival. We towed it with my son's 1 ton Dodge with the Cummins in it. We had 7 loose links. It seemed to tow good, but I wasn't driving. It was packed heavy. Water tank full, food and drinks for nine people, clothes, tables and chairs. It was a 4 day concert.
Somewhere on the way home, one of the pins that hold the bars in came out. We don't notice anything till we backed it up the driveway. The hitch was making all kinds of racket. Creeking and banging, that's when we saw the pin missing. I'm starting to think I made a mistake buying this thing. I'm missing my 5th wheel.
Crew Cab 8 ft. bed
Sanibel 38ft QB
Dogbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:51 PM   #9

We purchased the Blue Ox sway pro. Haven't had any trouble, actually a pretty slick setup. Our tongue weight is 960, but remember, that is when the trailer is fully loaded. Our unit weighs in at 6400 empty and 9500 fully dressed. We have about 7500lbs total in weight now. We use the 1000lb bars. When hooked up the bars will be flexed, this is when the system performs. If the bars are to big for the tt, the bars won't be flexed and the system will not work properly. One thing i did do in heavy cross winds was turn off the trailer sway control on the truck, both systems at once caused alot of juking about. Once the trailer sway control was off on the truck the system worked even better.
Boots64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:52 PM   #10

I just bought a new Shamrock 21DK with a GVWR of 4900 and a tongue weight of 660. I pull it with a 2005 Dodge Durango 4x2 Hemi. The trailer dealer that installed my BlueOx SwayPro 750 didn't sell me the hitch. I bought it elsewhere. As a result, they weren't familiar with correct installation.

When first installed the arms were not flexed at all. I got little if any support and was porpoising down the road. I increased the tension on the arms by 2 links. The ends of the arms flex considerably. They were parallel to the trailer frame when I was done. The improvement was significant.

I'm happy. When yours is properly adjusted, you should be, too.

With the exception of an Andersen hitch, weight distributing hitches creak and groan.

- 1999 Chevrolet Astro
- 2005 Dodge Durango Limited 4x2 5L V8 Hemi

- 2016 Ford F-150 SCrew Lariat 4x2 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox, sway