Old 09-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #1

Blue Ox SwayPro popping

This is my first season pulling a travel trailer, when I purchased my Tracer 2700RES I also bought a hitch from the dealer.. Rookie mistake I guess as they charged me a few hundred more for the switch than I could have found on my own. I told them I wanted a sway control weight distributing hitch that did not require me to get out and remove bars before I back up. The dealer installed the BO SwayPro. I have not had any issues with the hitch until recently.. When pulling in to gas stations and the trailer is at a slight angle I can feel a "pop"

I had my girlfriend pull the rig forward in a parking lot as I observe the hitch and I can see one of the springbars jump with the pop. Jump may be a strong word, just a hint of movement, like a very fast flex..

The bars have the correct amount of curve when installed using instructions from the dealer and verified from Blue Ox. The lift brackets appear tightly attached to the frame. The springbars are solidly locked into the sockets..

I have no noticeable sway while towing, and no issues while towing or backing.. The manufacturer suggested it may be a twisted chain, I figure I will double check next time I head out..

Has anyone experienced a similar issue with a SwayPro hitch?

Old 09-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #2

have you checked the torque on the bolts that create the friction for the sway control in the head? Sound like you may have them over torqued. I'd suggest backing them off and re-torquing them.

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
have you checked the torque on the bolts that create the friction for the sway control in the head? Sound like you may have them over torqued. I'd suggest backing them off and re-torquing them.
Thanks for the response, this is the "new" design without the bolts.. Forgot to mention that..
Old 09-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #4

I have the blue ox and can only name two issues. A grinding noise that was solved by greasing the zerks before every use. Also, a noise that sounds like a "pop" that you describe. Does not happen on every trip but have discovered that it is a chain that "flicks" when it strikes against metal because I have pulled too many chain links. This happens because I am carrying a lighter load and need to back off a chain link. I backed it off and problem solved. No more "pop". Not sure if thats your issue. Otherwise, a breeze to setup and use. Hope you figure it out.

http://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #5

Did the chains only move one? If so, they may have been bound a little. BO will pop a little from time to time. That is nothing to be concerned with. Especially when taking a tight corner. Do make sure your heads are bolted tight on the sides! If the chains are popping repeatedly, you may have a loose bracket sliding around.

The Blue Ox is quieter than other brands but it is not silent. You will hear some squeaking from time to time too.

I am not sure what you mean by the right amount of curve. You should measure your TV height with and without the hitch to determine the correct pre-load. The amount of curve is more relative to your tongue weight compared to your bar size.

By the way, I have the Blue Ox and I love it. No sway and I love the feel of it. I would highly recommend it to others.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
I have the blue ox and can only name two issues. A grinding noise that was solved by greasing the zerks before every use. Also, a noise that sounds like a "pop" that you describe. Does not happen on every trip but have discovered that it is a chain that "flicks" when it strikes against metal because I have pulled too many chain links. This happens because I am carrying a lighter load and need to back off a chain link. I backed it off and problem solved. No more "pop". Not sure if thats your issue. Otherwise, a breeze to setup and use. Hope you figure it out.
Thanks, I will double check my link count.. Perhaps loosen it up a link.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanddc View Post
Did the chains only move one? If so, they may have been bound a little. BO will pop a little from time to time. That is nothing to be concerned with. Especially when taking a tight corner. Do make sure your heads are bolted tight on the sides! If the chains are popping repeatedly, you may have a loose bracket sliding around.

The Blue Ox is quieter than other brands but it is not silent. You will hear some squeaking from time to time too.

I am not sure what you mean by the right amount of curve. You should measure your TV height with and without the hitch to determine the correct pre-load. The amount of curve is more relative to your tongue weight compared to your bar size.

By the way, I have the Blue Ox and I love it. No sway and I love the feel of it. I would highly recommend it to others.
Thank you for the advice, I will double check all the measurements against the manufacturer instructions as well the bracket bolts.

As far as the curve in the spring bar, the BO representative on the phone said that a 1-2 inch curve is the normal amount.

I agree, it's a great hitch especially for a noob ;-)
Old 09-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #8

Interesting I have never seen the curve of the spring bar in any of their instructions but it is good to know. That is about where mine is so I feel good! Learn something new every day here!
Old 09-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
NELA

Our hitch used to make so much noise it was embarrassin'.....seriously, when backing in to a site...then our camping friend from TX explained that we needed to grease the heads of the WD bars. duh...lots of friction in that area anyway.

voila! no more popping noises...and we just put a ziplock over the heads now to keep from getting grease on the carpet in the storage bay area.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote