Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2019, 12:25 AM   #1

bought a custom built trailer - what is the GVWR with 2" single axle

I bought a custom build 4-place jetski trailer, with 4 older jetskis - it was originally a single axle boat trailer modified to load 4 jetskis. I did some searching and found that the 4 skis weight about 2300 lbs combined (dry weight), so with gas, oil and misc I guess the skis are about 2600 lbs.

The trailer is a single axle unit - the axle is a square tube which is 2" x 2" - anyone know what this type of axle would be rated for, or how I can determine? I'm hoping it is a 3500 lbs axle, though from the reading I've done so far it is more in line with a 2000 lbs axle. If so, then being the trailer is about 1000 lbs alone, then it is about 1300 lbs over weight after factoring ~300 lbs tongue weight.

If that is the case, would that even make sense being I drove it home over 1000 kms without issue - if it really was that overloaded, wouldn't I have noticed something?

Anyway, I'm now looking to start using it again and want to figure out it's capacity and perhaps upgrade the axle.

Thanks
DanADaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:44 AM   #2

First, welcome to the absolute best RV FORUM on the internet!

Second, your answer is very likely within the title document, make and model of your trailer. Being in WA and not knowing where you are located I cannot volunteer to inspect your trailer.

Usually the paperwork like the title or registration will have a make/model on it. Or, it may even list the GVWR. If the trailer itself has a make/model sticker on it, search on the internet. The GAWR may also be listed on the axle. Knowing that, you could take it to a CAT scale and have the tongue and axle weighed separately and calculate the available payload of your trailer.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:55 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

It's hard for us to guess at an answer so take that for what it is worth.

I've seen 2" square axles rated at around 2k and others at 3.5k.

As an example... here is one at 3500# for $400. Free shipping.

3.5k Light Duty Single Axle TK Trailer kit - 3500 lb Capacity

Here is a round tube axle only for $200.
3.5k Rockwell Axle

And a Dexter for $130
3500 Lb Dexter Axle

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
First, welcome to the absolute best RV FORUM on the internet!

Second, your answer is very likely within the title document, make and model of your trailer. Being in WA and not knowing where you are located I cannot volunteer to inspect your trailer.

Usually the paperwork like the title or registration will have a make/model on it. Or, it may even list the GVWR. If the trailer itself has a make/model sticker on it, search on the internet. The GAWR may also be listed on the axle. Knowing that, you could take it to a CAT scale and have the tongue and axle weighed separately and calculate the available payload of your trailer.
Being a custom built...Modified Boat trailer, not sure if that info would even exist...it may still be on the trailer.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:30 PM   #5

If you look at the size of the wheel bearings, both inner and outer, they determine the capacity of the axle. Compare with axle ratings on new axles from various sellers like Northern Tool.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:34 PM   #6

I would look for markings on the axle itself. It should provide something specific either a model number or part number.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, trailer