Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
FEZ

Bought a Toad...Need Some Advice

I just recently bought a toad to pull behind our Sunseeker. So we were wondering if a RV dealer needs to install the flat tow equipment or can I purchase them and have a local garage install them. Would I save some coin or not? Any advice either way would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
FEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #2

I'm posting so I can follow this as I'm curious too.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #3

Which toad did you buy and what equipment are you having installed? I am interested as well.

stonekeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
FEZ

We bought a 2002 Jeep Wrangler, and I think I am going with the Blue Ox system.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #5

We have a 2012 jeep wrangler. I installed the base plate myself it took about 3 hrs. The hardest thing was reinstalling the bumper. I also ran separate wiring to the rear and made a light bar that goes in the receiver hitch so i didn't have to tap into the jeeps electrical system.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #6

We just purchased a Demco system for our new toad ... bought it and had it installed by a local RV repair shop (large shop been in business since '60s). It is easy to use, but you have to find a system that fits easily with your toad. We have a new CRV and it took them most of the day to install it. Nice thing about our RV guy, he isn't a rep for Blue Ox or Demco or any other make, he just has lots of experience! We do see mostly Blue Ox being used on rigs. Just go to someone that backs the warranty in case of problems (we've had none!)
We also went with a electronic braking system without the brake box...we just flip a switch and go.
Enjoy your travels...
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #7

I have a forester pulling a Honda fit. I went with a RV dealer for installation,as I don't think a local garage would deal with something like this. Some cars apparantly are easy to mount the brackets on, but some require the bumper to be removed, possibly trimmed, and replaced. I think the more experience the mechanic has, the better it will look when not being towed.
Make sure you get a braking system if required in your state.
For lighting, I went with a wireless system. A transmitter is set up in the back of the RV, near the hitch wiring harness. The light bar is magnetic. It has to be charged after 8-10 hours of use. I am going to make a shelf inside the rear hatch of the toad rather than mount it on the roof. It was the first one the dealer installed - they liked it so much they plan on recommending it to everyone getting a toad hookup.
lkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #8

You may already know this, but you will need a braking system for your Jeep whether your state requires one or not. The weight of the Sunseeker and the Jeep together may not exceed the chassis's allowable Gross Combined Weight Rating, so you can tow the Jeep, but the chassis braking system is not rated for the GCWR. Check your chassis manual.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:55 AM   #9

I set up a 99 Wrangler with very little effort. I installed a second set of light bulb sockets in the tail lights also. I am using a Ready Brake tow bar and a Denco plate. Using the Ready Brake brake-away system. Whole system was under $1,000. Been using it for over one year (7,000+ miles) with absolutley no problems! BTW, the ready brake system has dash indicator which tells you when the tow bar is appling the Jeep brakes but I added a second light which comes on when the Jeep brake lights come on which indicates the system is pulling the brake pedal down. Just a little added info to ease the mind!!
popbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #10
FEZ

Thanks everyone, this was some great information!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #11

i have installed blueox on my 2010 wrangler.2011 wrangler and 2012 explorer very easy install and great instructions. not worth paying to have it done if you have any "handy skills" what so ever
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #12

Has anyone brought the equipment from camping world and has anyone had camping world do the installation?
Old 01-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #13
FEZ

No, having my local dealer do it. Sorry.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #14

I am currently planning for some upgrades to tow my 2012 Wrangler with the 3170 Sunseeker. This seemed like the appropriate thread to get some feedback. My research has narrowed by selection to:

Blue Ox Alpha tow bar BX7365 rated for 6500lb, Patriot Brake system BX2012, Blue Ox Baseplate BX1126, and taillight wiring kit BX8869.

I'm curious if anyone has a similar system. I plan to do all the install myself. I also chose the 6500lb rated bar to give some margin on the toad, plus we will likely use the Jeep to carry a few items and the hitch to hold our bikes which will add to the GVW.

Thanks in advance