Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2014, 12:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
The cord should be attached to something that is welded to the TV. Since my SUV chain loops are welded to the hitch, and the hitch is welded to the frame (integral part of the from), I simply use the chain. But I thought all pickups had a special loop welded to the frame just for this purpose. Usually near the hitch/coupler, but not actually attached to the receiver.

OK. I've heard different theories on this. Please don't flame me, but here has been my understanding, of the order if things should go wrong:
1. Ball shank breaks, or coupler otherwise disengages from tow vehicle.
2. Tongue is "caught" by the crossed safety chains, but everything else still intact. Trailer is squirrely, but still being pulled by the chains, and braked by the controller. Pull over as best you can, and hopefully the chains don't break. If successful, you've still saved the trailer.
3. If the chains fail, then the breakaway pin gets pulled.

If the breakaway had been pulled first (full 12volts!), the result could be broken chains from the impact load (TV still on the throttle, trailer in full braking). I would first prefer to attempt a semi-controlled stop rather than sacrifice the trailer.
The (Safety chains) should be Rated for the load/shock or otherwise! Dog chain will NOT Qualify! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:36 PM   #22
NELA

(shrug) DH puts the break away cable on the release handle of the 5th wheel hitch. The cable has a secure loop on the end of it.

PDI guy hooked it up this way when we purchased it.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #23
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
(shrug) DH puts the break away cable on the release handle of the 5th wheel hitch. The cable has a secure loop on the end of it.

PDI guy hooked it up this way when we purchased it.
I think that's how most fifth wheels do it. I'm the oddball- I hook the break away cable to one of my corner tie downs in the truck's bed with a heavy duty carabiner.

Tags
brakes