Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #1

Brake controller

I am trying to hook up an electric brake controller to a 2000 silverado. The vehicle has a tow package so I purchased a wiring harness that plugs in directly to the panel under the dash. When I hooked it up, the break controller did not power on. When it used a circuit tester on the harness, there is not power. Is there a fuse I need to install or a wire I need to connect?
Dvigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #2

Check your fuse locations on your truck, might be under the hood. Etrailer.com has some videos that might help. I have a Prodigy P2 on my 2007 Chevrolet, it powered right up after I plugged it in. When you find the problem, please post.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
Oklahoma Proud

Yep, what ^ they said. You will have to install a maxi fuse for your year model- should be a green one and it installs in the underhood fuse box.
- when new, your truck would have came with one (fuse) for this purpose, along with a controller wire harness and a 7-4 prong adapter under your rear seat or in the glove box.

Hope this helps- any gm specific ? Just holler @me, I'm a current tech
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #4

In the fuse box located under the hood, there are two max fuse locations labeled for trailers. One has a fuse, the other does not. The one without the fuse is labeled trailer harness. It is in the slot 1 position in the fuse box. I will put a fuse in it and hope that it is as simple as that.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
Oklahoma Proud

Yes trailer fuse goes in stud 1 and is 40amp.
Here is a pic of location( pointed with marker) and what a tag on a factory harness I had laying around states about installation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130528_210513.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	31610

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130528_210554.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	31611
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #6

After installing the fuse, I now have power on the top right pin on the junction box by the pedals. When I plug the adaptor and brake controller in, the brake controller will not power on.