Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2014, 06:51 PM   #1

Brake controller energized on park lights not brake switch

Hows this one for ya? New to me 03 GMC Sierra 1500 HD. Brake controller is energized on park light circuit, not brake light switch. All lighting works correctly on both vehicles. Obviously miswired or shorted but where would be the most logical starting point to troubleshoot? Any one got any input on this one. Worked fine on previous TV, 01 Silverado. Using factory supplied 01 Silverado jumper from Tekonsha prodigy controller to Sierra. Do not believe TV wiring is different, 01 Silvy to 04 Sierra??.
mattb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
Experienced Newbie

According to etrailer.com, there are 2 different wire harnesses for the 01 Silverado and the 04 Sierra.

01 Silverado -Tekonsha Plug-In Wiring Adapter for Electric Brake Controllers - GM Tekonsha Accessories and Parts 3025-P

04 Sierra - Tekonsha Plug-In Wiring Adapter for Electric Brake Controllers - GM Tekonsha Accessories and Parts 3015-P

If you click on the picture of the back side of the brown connector, you can see that in fact the red signal wire is in a different spot.

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #3

Thanks, i edited to correct 03 not 04. I looked at etrailer but apparently did not look deep enough. Also my signal wire is blue.???
Old 05-16-2014, 08:36 PM   #4

Just pulled out my harness and reconfigured the brown connector to coincide with what e trailer shows, will reinstall and test tomorrow. Very simple to remove wires and reconfigure. Sometimes automotive engineers make sense.

Tags
brake control, controller, light, brakes