Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2016, 12:52 PM   #1
Bill Scott

Brake Controller Insanity

Moderator: (Still learning what the appropriate place is to post certain questions, so you may move this to wherever it should be.)

Just took delivery on a 2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD DRW Denali. I pulled my 40' Salem Hemisphere for several months last year with my 2014 (same model truck) and didn't even know it had a brake controller. I just "ASSumed" that it was automatic. So, now I am trying to figure out the proper procedure to adjust the "Trailer Gain".

The truck dealer has no clue. The trailer dealer has no idea what I am talking about, so now I am into the truck manual and I almost busted a gut when I encountered the following verbiage on page 244 of the 2016 GMC Sierra Denali manual.

1. Drive the vehicle with the trailer attached on a level road surface representative of the towing condition and free of traffic at about 20 t0 25 MPH and fully apply the Manual Trailer Brake Apply Lever.

Adjusting the Trailer Gain at speeds lower than 20 to 25 MPH may result in an incorrect gain setting.

2. Adjust the Trailer Gain, using the Trailer Gain Adjustment Buttons, to just below the point of trailer wheel lock-up, indicated by the TRAILER SQUEAL OR TIRE SMOKE WHEN A TRAILER WHEEL LOCKS. (Emphasis mine).

There's more regarding what to do if your overloaded etc, but this was enough to make me sit up and take notice.

I see that the Trailer Brake Apply Lever is spring loaded so that answered my question about where you leave it after the exercise. I also understand that the Trailer Brake Apply Level controls ONLY the trailer brakes and not the truck brakes.

I am left with a picture of me squeezing the Manual Trailer Brake Apply Lever until it stops with my thumb and index finger of my left hand, and using my left pinky to cycle through the 1,000 possible Trailer Gain settings (0.00 to 10.00), while driving the vehicle with my right hand, and my wife hanging her head out of the window listening for tires squealing and watching for smoke. Then, backing the gain back down until the noise and smoke stops. AND, you're suppose to go through this exercise anytime the trailer load or road conditions change.

I'm sorry. but the way I see it, either I am reading the instructions incorrectly, they are written by a complete idiot, or the latest technology GMC has to offer (in their most expensive truck) is not much better than trailer towing technology back in the 1940s. Surely, something is wrong here.

I would be very appreciative to hear from anyone that has done this is a GMC truck and tell me how they did it.
BillScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:38 PM   #2

You apply the Manual Lever only after you make a gain adjustment.
Set the gain at 5, then apply the Manual Lever to see if brakes lock up. If they do not then increase the gain to 6 and try again. Do this until you get brake lock up, then lower the gain in small increments (.2) and apply the Manual Lever, do this until no brake lock up.
Once you have it set you may or may not have to tweek it a bit the next time you hook up.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:15 PM   #3

Brake Controller Insanity

Your stressing way too much about this. Set up as boondocks recommends. You do not adjust the gain while applying the manual brakes. You don't need your wife looking and listening, you should be able to tell if the trailer brakes lock up. Once you have this setup properly, you will most likely not have to change unless something major changes on you setup. I make a quick check when I pull out each trip, it also let's me know the brakes are working. Relax it's the same for all brake controllers and really not a big issue.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:21 PM   #4

The Prodigy P3 is adjusted the same way. Turn up the gain until brakes lock up, then dial down a bit.

Not sure why you think it's insane. Makes sense to me.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:36 PM   #5
Site Team

X2 They make it sound much more complex than it is. Just follow instructions above. Once you get a number, you can always tweak it up or down a notch to suit your driving style. Once set you should be OK.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:14 PM   #6

Not meaning to hi jack a thread, but.
I installed my P3 Yesterday and we are picking up our trailer on Saturday.
Any assistance on how to set up my brakes would be greatly appreciated?.
We are picking up a 26 bdh gray wolf and I am towing with a Tu dra 5.7.
Thanks.
Lukegsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukegsdaddy View Post
Thanks.
Just follow the instructions, similar to what is posted above. Then it would be good to find a quiet road and carefully test your results. You will want to feel the RV braking a bit before your TV. You can adjust that by using the B1, B2 or B3 settings. You will most likely start with B1 and use that setting but try B2.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:29 PM   #8

My advice: When all else fails - read the instructions!

(Wait - Read the instructions FIRST!)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillScott View Post
I'm sorry. but the way I see it, either I am reading the instructions incorrectly, they are written by a complete idiot, or the latest technology GMC has to offer (in their most expensive truck) is not much better than trailer towing technology back in the 1940s. Surely, something is wrong here.

I would be very appreciative to hear from anyone that has done this is a GMC truck and tell me how they did it.
all i could think of was Ricky & Lucy Ricardo
TRAILER BRAKES, TRAILER BRAKES! (the long long trailer-movie from the 40's)
ok, on a more serious note, i have a chevy duramax that functions just as the instructions read so the other's comments are correct....
it seems more complicated than it is.... find a quiet road and test
2015 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Pkg
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
tmfaulksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukegsdaddy View Post

Thanks.

My settings on my p3 are 8.5 and b3. We have same TV and your unit is just a bit smaller than mine.

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:51 AM   #11
Bill Scott

You guys are amazing. I posted a quick thanks to one member and made the comment that I have noticed the manufacturers of almost everything we buy are responding by reducing the size and content of their manuals and/or turning their educational responsibilities over to the Internet forums. Everyone of us has gained knowledge from experiences that we (as individuals) have actually learned from our own mistakes; however, most of us have a tendency to occasionally poke fun at the expense of other members who are just beginning, and I am happy to see there is very little of this occurring on this forum. Thanks loads for all of your helpful responses, and Happy Camping!
BillScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:14 PM   #12

Hope it works out for you.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:17 PM   #13

Yeah, just crack the window. When any 1 of the trailer tires locks up, you'll here it. Don't come to a complete stop. Once you here that chirp, let go, dial back the voltage a bit, accelerate back to 25mph, and try it again. You want the system right at the point that it's thinking about locking up.

Tips:
With windows open, warm up the brakes first, with a few gentle, manual stops from 25mph. If you start smelling the brakes, that more than enough. If you set them while cold, they will be set too low, since they get more effective at moderate temperature.

When do the full apply, they really mean it. Apply it quickly to full manual apply. You are simulating what would happen when you do a full panic stop in an emergency. You want your ABS to keep the truck's tires from locking up, and you want the controller set for max braking, but without locking trailer tires.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake control, controller, brakes