Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #1

Brake Controller not working???

I decided to try and see if my brake controller works or not. Dealer installed and adjusted the controller and said it was set up to work with my truck. So today, on my street doing about 5-7 mph I slid the lever on the brake cotroller that I was told would activate my trailer braked at full power. When I did this I heard the magnet click on both axles on trailer but the brakes did nothing. From the video that came with the brake controller it showed the slide button on the controller being slid and the trailer brakes locking up. Do I have to be going faster for this to work? On the video the trailer was traveling maybe 15-20 mph.
Now I am paronoid that trailer brakes aren't stopping the trailer, only my truck brakes are. I guess the way to check this out is to visit a large unused parking lot and with the electric hooked up, go a certain speed and stop. Then unhook the electric and repeat step 1 and see if there is a difference. Sound right to you guys??? One more thing, I wil have to try and find the box and video for the brake controller, as I don't even know the name or model of it.

Thanks Bill
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #2

I can't speak for all controllers, but my factory installed ford brake controller said to brake at speeds 20-25mph starting at lv3 and work your way up untill your trailer brakes lock up. Once you reach trailer lock up, back off one half incriment at a time untill the trailer no longer locks at 20-25mph.
Michigander111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander111 View Post
I can't speak for all controllers, but my factory installed ford brake controller said to brake at speeds 20-25mph starting at lv3 and work your way up untill your trailer brakes lock up. Once you reach trailer lock up, back off one half incriment at a time untill the trailer no longer locks at 20-25mph.
Michigander, that is what my dvd showed also, and I did find my documentation. It is a Tekonsha Voyager 9030 made by Cequent Performance Products. Directions for this states I have to be traveling 25 mph for the test to work and to make adjustments. Thanks for your reply.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:56 AM   #4

I believe the Ford system was developed by Tekonsha, so no surprise that the setup is similar.

When you apply the manual control, if things are hooked up correctly, you should feel something. Did you turn up the gain control? If you have the gain all the way up, and you still feel nothing from a full manual apply, either voltage is not making it back to the brakes, or something is wrong in the brake assemblies.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
I believe the Ford system was developed by Tekonsha, so no surprise that the setup is similar.

When you apply the manual control, if things are hooked up correctly, you should feel something. Did you turn up the gain control? If you have the gain all the way up, and you still feel nothing from a full manual apply, either voltage is not making it back to the brakes, or something is wrong in the brake assemblies.
Well I tried the full manual apply at 25 mph and nothing. I will have to tinker with the gain control I guess.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #6

Has your trailer ever been towed in winter conditions? Salt will wreak havoc on electric brakes. Since you're hearing the magnets engage but no braking is occurring, I'm guessing the mechanical parts of the brakes are seized up. I have that problem with a big enclosed snowmobile trailer I used to have. The salty spray from winter roads is really bad for them.
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhoppe View Post
Has your trailer ever been towed in winter conditions? Salt will wreak havoc on electric brakes. Since you're hearing the magnets engage but no braking is occurring, I'm guessing the mechanical parts of the brakes are seized up. I have that problem with a big enclosed snowmobile trailer I used to have. The salty spray from winter roads is really bad for them.
Not been in snow or salt conditions. Bought new (2011)from a dealer in April. Will have to look at the adjustments on the controller this week.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilcin View Post
Well I tried the full manual apply at 25 mph and nothing. I will have to tinker with the gain control I guess.
The gain control sets the maximum voltage that can be applied.
If the max gain is set at only 2V, then a "full manual apply" will only send back 2volts. A half-apply would only send back about 1volt. If you have not yet touched the gain control, it's probably set way too low.

What controller do you have? Hopefully it has a voltage readout.

If you have a cheap time-delay controller, you should consider replacing with a Tekonsha Prodigy, P2, or P3 controller.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
The gain control sets the maximum voltage that can be applied.
If the max gain is set at only 2V, then a "full manual apply" will only send back 2volts. A half-apply would only send back about 1volt. If you have not yet touched the gain control, it's probably set way too low.

What controller do you have? Hopefully it has a voltage readout.

If you have a cheap time-delay controller, you should consider replacing with a Tekonsha Prodigy, P2, or P3 controller.
Brakeman, I bought a Tekonsha Voyager 9030 made by Cequent Performance Products. It does not have a digital display. I will look at the gain setting and see whereit is.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Had the same problem----------------

Had the same problem, found one of the brake magnets was bad. Had the RV in the shop four times before the problem was found.

Check the brake magnets?????????????????

Sid
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2022 51 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:31 PM   #11

i've had two different trailers with a different brake controller for each. all i have ever been able to feel is a tug when i apply them. have never been able to lock up my brakes.
with the last trailer and this one, the brakes became more sensitive after driving a few miles.

last year, i severed the wire to the rear set of brakes. even with gain all the way up, had very little stopping power. the bad magnet suggestion sounds like a good one.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake control, brakes