Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2010, 12:37 PM   #1

Brake controller problem

The last time I used our TT I had a problem with the brakes locking up on the TT as soon as I touched the brake pedal in the TV. I tried to adjust the brake controller and I had to slide the lever all the way to the minus side in order to prevent the problem. The controller I have is about 12 years old and has a slide lever with two rows of red lights to indicate the brake level. (I will have to get the brand name) My question is: Is the problem due to the controller or to the TT brakes? I am trading in the TT on a new Rockwood Signature Ultralite this friday and want to be sure I don't have the same problem. I will try it at the dealer and if need be I will buy a new controller. Any advice is welcome.
Time2Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Get the name and model but most likely it's a time based controller. You should really upgrade to a better controller.

I doubt it was you're brakes.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #3

I decided to go with your supportive advice and get a new controller. the dealer will be installing a Prodigy P2 on Friday.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #4

DIy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Tow View Post
I decided to go with your supportive advice and get a new controller. the dealer will be installing a Prodigy P2 on Friday.
This is very easy to install yourself if your tow vehicle has the pre wired traielr brake plug under the dash, I installed one in my 2000 F150 in about 10 minutes. you may be able to save money on the install and do it yourself.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #5

Thanks, but apparently there is a GM adaptor that is needed, according to the dealer. This is at a cost of $14.95. I will take a look at my current controller but I'm not sure if the wiring will be the same for the new one.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #6

I also used the adapter it is plug and play, mount the controller under the dash and just plug it in!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #7

Danielflading,
After your last email I checked out installation instructions for the P2 and spoke with the dealer. He agreed it is just a plug and play and that I can probably do it myself. They do have to charge for their time and liabilities as he explained it. I think I will just do it myself. Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #8

Time2Tow, you made a good investment in the P2. Now, unless you are planning on taking the new TT home using the old brake controller (not advisable due to the problems you describe) or installing it in the dealer's lot or a large parking lot nearby, you may want to look at how much they will charge you for installing it. I know it is plug and play and very easy to install, but away from home with a brand new TT on the back of your tow vehicle is not the time to cut expenses. If they charge $50 or less I would go with them. Just my opinion.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #9

frankm,
I was actually going to install it before the trip over to get it. The dealers cost was $75. I totally agree with you that trying to do it at the dealers the day of picking it up is out of the question. The price for me to buy it at Camping World is the same as the dealer price, so worst case is I will bring it with me and have the dealer install it. I am totally anal about things dealing with safety and operation of both the TV and the TT to a point where I know it drives my wife crazy at times. But, she completely understands and appreciates it in the long run. I thank you for your input and everyone else on this Forum. I have received a lot of helpful information from here, which is why I decided to post my original concern. Soon I'll actually be an owner of a Forest River product. We currently have a Coachman Futura 2001. I can hardly wait for the new rig.
Thanks again.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #10

if you feel better having it installed then go ahead and let the dealer install it for you. $75.00 is cheap insurance for peace of mind. I installed ours at home and then went to the dealers lot and picked up the TT. I had no problems installing the unit and it works flawlessly. Tells you when you are connected and if you have a problem while towing it will indicate that you have become disconnected electrically from the TT brakes. It is honestly a very easy install and setup and very straight forward with the mounting/installation instrcutions.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #11

Any camping plans for your maiden voyage this weekend? I see that you are also from Florida, we are in Miami. Our camping territory is from the keys all the way up the east and west coast during the summer and central during the "winter" months.

Enjoy your new trailer!
Old 10-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #12

frankm,
Yes, we are getting the TT at Tropical RV in Ft. Pierce. We are in Lutz, FL which is on the north border of Tampa. Our local dealer, Lazydayz could not get us a Rockwood. We are going to stay at a campground that is in Ft.Pierce. It is supposedly very close to the dealer. I don't know the name. After that, we will be at Ft. Wilderness in Disney the last week of Oct. Middle of Nov. in the Keys for a week. (Grassy Key campground) Have you ever been there? My only concern is that at times, there is a strong odor in Marathon Key due to decaying seaweed and whatever else. All of this is pending a successful pick-up of the TT on Friday. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #13

Quote:
frankm,
Yes, we are getting the TT at Tropical RV in Ft. Pierce. We are in Lutz, FL which is on the north border of Tampa. Our local dealer, Lazydayz could not get us a Rockwood. We are going to stay at a campground that is in Ft.Pierce. It is supposedly very close to the dealer. I don't know the name. After that, we will be at Ft. Wilderness in Disney the last week of Oct. Middle of Nov. in the Keys for a week. (Grassy Key campground) Have you ever been there? My only concern is that at times, there is a strong odor in Marathon Key due to decaying seaweed and whatever else. All of this is pending a successful pick-up of the TT on Friday. I'll let you know how it goes.
You couldn't have found a better dealer in Florida than Tropical RV. Two weeks ago I picked up our Rockwood 2702SS from them and could not be any happier. I had purchased a popup from them back in 2007 and when it was time to upgrade the was no question where we were getting it from. Please say hello to Dane and Joe (the service guy).

For our maiden voyage I demanded (ok, politely asked the wife) a CG with pull-through sites for my first time pulling something as large as this TT so we stayed at Lion Country Safari KOA, about an hour drive from Ft. Pierce. I told Joe that in case I needed him he was going to see some lions, he said no problem and I'm sure he meant it. You will have no problems, at least none caused by them.

I hear you about the keys, it can get stinky at times, with the very shallow water and seaweed, but hey it isn't snow! We have stayed at Curry Hammock and Long Key state parks, which are very nice, but not at Grassy Key.

Please do let us know how things go and post pics!
Old 10-14-2010, 07:14 AM   #14

Well my wife picked up the P2 and apaptor yesterday and I installed in about 15 minutes. Thanks, Danialflading, for the heads up on how easy it would be. I owe you a an adult beverage or two or however many $75 buys. Also, thanks frankm for your input. These forums are great. Now I just need to pick up the new TT tomorrow and let the fun begin.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:27 AM   #15

Cold Beer!

Quote:
Well my wife picked up the P2 and apaptor yesterday and I installed in about 15 minutes. Thanks, Danialflading, for the heads up on how easy it would be. I owe you a an adult beverage or two or however many $75 buys. Also, thanks frankm for your input. These forums are great. Now I just need to pick up the new TT tomorrow and let the fun begin.
Happy to help! If we are ever in the same campground I will take you up on the offer for the adult beverages

Have a safe and happy outing!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:02 AM   #16

We picked up our new Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8296SS on Friday, camped in it over the weekend and trailered it home Sunday, and everything went GREAT! We were very happy with the dealer and their attention to detail and to us. The TT is actually nicer than we expected, as we had never actually seen it or been in one like this. The Prodigy P2 and the Equalizer hitch worked out perfiectly. We take our next trip this coming weekend to Disney and hope everything continues to go as well. Just wanted to let you know that we are now official members of the Forest River family.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:26 AM   #17

I'm somewhat of a junior member here but what the heck, I'll have the honors:

Welcome to the FR family and congratulations on your new TT! Hope you enjoy it!

Tags
brake control, brakes