Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #1

Brake hook-up wire

My title shows my ignorance. When hooking the chains to your tow vehicle, one chain has the brake break-away cable attached. While setting up my RV, I broke this cable. Son-in-law says it is a must to fix. There was a plastic piece that attached it to the RV frame. This piece broke. Any way of rigging it, or do I need to get it properly replaced? We are camping at this time. Any ideas would be appreciated!
Larry Tiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #2

do you mean the plastic piece that is inserted into the box? if so yes that needs to be replaced because your trailer brakes are on. if it is broken off and some remains in that box your ok but your break away device is not working
davidjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #3

Yes, it is that plastic piece. Is it pretty much universal?
Old 06-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #4

I believe so, any rv stores around? plastic piece holds 2 cilps away from each other when pulled they touch and complete the circuit
Old 06-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #5

Thank you for that explanation. I was clueless about its purpose. I found a few places on-line I'll call in morning. Not sure of their capacity of inventory. Thank you for the info!
Old 06-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #6

if the brakes are on it might damage the electro-magnets in your brakes, maybe disconnect a wire at your box for now. if piece is broken inside I think you should be ok.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Tiner View Post
When hooking the chains to your tow vehicle, one chain has the brake break-away cable attached.
Not so sure that it is a good idea to attach the cable to the chain. Never heard of that before.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post

Not so sure that it is a good idea to attach the cable to the chain. Never heard of that before.
Out of curiosity where do you guys attach the break away too? I don't do it on the safety chains themselves but in the hitch in the same place the safety chains attach too. I have heard of some people putting it around the ball then attaching the coupler.
turnerpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #9

theoretically the brake away cable is supposed to be completely independent of the safety chain and mount to something other than the hitch... The reasoning being is the brakes are supposed to be energized if the ball were to ever pull out of the hitch or of if the coupler came off the ball. If the cable was looped around the ball and the ball pulled out of the receiver you wouldn't trigger the brake away brakes...

Technically you are supposed to hook the loose end of the cable to the frame of the TV to ensure it pulls when it is needed. From what I was told it is also supposed to be hooked to the frame in case of the event the whole hitch were to brake loose of the truck...

A lot of ya buts...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #10

MtnGuy, thanks for your input. The cable is looped onto one of the hooks at the end of the chain, that hooks onto the tv.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #11
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
From what I was told it is also supposed to be hooked to the frame in case of the event the whole hitch were to brake loose of the truck...

A lot of ya buts...
A guy who was towing with a friend had this happen while towing an enclosed car trailer from RI to Carlisle, PA...this had to have been back in the 90's. Ever since talking to my friend about the experience, I always try and find something on the frame or independent of the hitch to attach to.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerpa View Post
I don't do it on the safety chains themselves but in the hitch in the same place the safety chains attach too.
That is where I attach my break away cable.

Quote:

Technically you are supposed to hook the loose end of the cable to the frame of the TV to ensure it pulls when it is needed. From what I was told it is also supposed to be hooked to the frame in case of the event the whole hitch were to brake loose of the truck...
That would be the best possible scenario. That way, if you have a catastrophic hitch failure, then the brakes would still be applied to the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
I always try and find something on the frame or independent of the hitch to attach to.
I am going to look into the feasibility of doing just that.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:

All the documentation I have ever read on the breakaway switches does state to attach the cable to the tow vehicle frame somehow. I have bought kits that included an eyebolt that you were supposed to attach/drill thru a frame member to attach the cable to if needed.

I have mine attached to a d-link on my rear step bumper. I figured even if my whole receiver hitch fell off (which I almost had happen one time as the welds broke, but it was with a real heavy tire trailer), the bumper will stay on to pull the brake switch.
I did an quick internet search and found a couple of installation sheets for the switches/cables. Although not specific on where to attach to the frame, they do state to do that. They also state NOT to attach to the chains or ball.

http://www.activefabrications.com.au...stofit/img.pdf

http://www.warnernet.com/pdf/819-0090_P-1377.pdf

ESCO: Breakaway Switch

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #14
B47

This subject has been discussed at length on another RV forum and I was amazed at the number of replies/opinions/ methods and techniques were given.

I never gave much thought of where to attach the loose end of the cable before. We brought one of those "D" shaped things that has a link that is spring loaded so it can be pressed over something solid and will stay attached and attached the loose end of the cable to it. We then attach the "D" shaped thing (wish I knew the correct name of it ) to the support frame of the FW hitch assembly and are set to go or at least I thought we were.

But some people expressed concern about what would happen if the FW hitch assembly or even the pick up bed itself became unattached from the TV. Other people were concerned that the cable connection could vibrate loose and therefore become ineffective.

I read all those things and decided if the FW hitch assembly or the pick up bed is detached then I am going to have bigger problems than just having the cable not working.

Could it happen - maybe, but anything is possible and as long as I believe I am doing things in a safe manner and using the proper equipment, I'll stick with the way I'm doing it now.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #15

Thanks for everyone's input. Nice to know there are others who are ready and able to assist! Don't feel so all alone on the road. I'll check out my various options.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #16

I use one of those threaded chain links and attach the wire loop to the loop in my reciever hitch on the truck, next to the safety chain. It's independent of everything else and if anything fails and the trailer comes off the truck, it gets pulled.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote

« Cdl | Chevy or Ford »