Old 06-07-2011, 04:37 PM   #1

Brakes come on when headlights are turned on

I just purchased a new Wildcat 29BHS and had it delivered to me from Ohio.

Before I picked it up I had the Brake control and the wiring tested on my tow vehicle at my local RV service centrre to make sure everythign works fine and it did. In the day time.

We picked it up Saturday morning. Everything worked great until dusk and I turned the headlights on. Our tow vehicle is a 2001 Chevy Subruban 2500. After a few minutes I noticed the brake control was applying brakes to the trailer.

I quickly pulled over and sure enough. When the lights are on my Suburban the brakes on the trailer are engaged.

I got it home OK by setting the braking on the brake control to zero.

My local Chevy Dealer shop says everything is wired correctly and there must be something wrong with the trailer. I informed them that they person who towed it from Ohio didn't have an issue with it.

Anyone know what the problem may be? The guys at GM seem to think everything is working fine and the problem is with the trailer.

2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 LT
JohnnyinAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Johnny, are you using any kind of adaptor plug in between the trailer plug and your vehicle plug -in?

I've seen some of these adaptors that have the pins wired different, mainly the center pin aux, or center pin brake........which usually makes the brakes on constantly.

It still sounds like something is crossed somewhere..........most likely wired/crossed into your running lights (more so than your headlights). Test it by turning just your running lights on (and not all the way to headlight) and see if it does the same thing.

I seem to remember having a friend who had a chevy and that gm had changed something in their plug wiring scheme around 2003, and you had to make sure you got the right gm pigtail that you use to hook up your brake controller. Anything pre-2003 had two wires different than post 2003. I have a feeling that your chevrolet dealer may have installed the wrong one.

EDIT: I looked around and saw this forum talking about the wiring differences in years, that may help

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81070

and here on etrailer.com, which show different part numbers for pre/post 2002 year models

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-cbc.aspx

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
Site Team

Johnny, I found this GM TSB, which sounds like your problem:

Trailer Brakes Applied When Headlights/Park Lamps Are On, Brake Controller Illumination (Modify Brake Controller Wiring Harness) #02-05-22-004C - (Apr 5, 2005)

1999-2005 Chevrolet Silverado

2000-2005 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2002-2005 Chevrolet Avalanche

1999-2005 GMC Sierra

2000-2005 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2003-2005 HUMMER H2

This bulletin is being revised to add additional model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-05-22-004B (Section 05 -- Brakes).

Condition
Some customers may comment that when the headlamps or park lamps are on, the brakes on the trailer are always applied, or that the back lighting for the trailer brake controller only illuminates when the brakes are applied.

Cause
The cause of this condition may be due to wiring changes within the vehicle electrical system for the 2003 model year.

Correction

Inspect the brake controller wiring harness jumper that is plugged into the vehicle relay block-body. The relay block-body is located under the left side of the instrument panel near the left kick panel, behind a plastic cover.

The 1999 though early 2003 wiring harness jumper that plugs into the relay block will have a reddish/brown 6-way connector and a tag with the last four digits of the wiring harness part number. Second design 2003-05 may have a white plastic connector with part number 5418 as well.

The 1999 jumper is/was P/N 12171982 with a pink/purple tag identifier of 1982. This number has been superseded to 15366255, with a pink/purple tag identifier of 6255.

The 2000 jumper harness is P/N 15366255. The pink/purple tag identifier is 6255.

The 2001-2002 jumper is P/N 15086884. The orange tag identifier is 6884.

The 2003-05 jumper is P/N 15085418. The orange tag identifier is 5418.

When transferring the brake controller with the wiring jumper attached from a 2001-2002 vehicle to a 2003-05 vehicle, a change to the jumper harness connector must be performed.

The following information is for the 1999-2002 wiring harnesses.

Pin
Wire Color
Circuit Number
Function

A
LT BLUE
Stop lamps

B
RED
Brake controller 12 volt source

C
DK BLUE
Brake Controller output (Trailer Brakes)

D
BROWN
Brake controller illumination

E
--
--
--

F
BLACK
Ground

The following information is for the 2003-05 wiring harness.

Pin
Wire Color
Circuit Number
Function

A
BROWN
Brake controller illumination

B
RED
Brake controller 12 volt source

C
DK BLUE
Brake Controller output (Trailer Brakes)

D
LT BLUE
Stop Lamps

E
--
--
--

F
BLACK
Ground

To modify a 12171982, 15366255 or 15086884 harness for use in a 2003-05 vehicle, switch the wires in cavities "A" and "D".

To modify a 15085418 harness for use in a 1999-2002 vehicle (see model list at the front of this bulletin for applicable models), switch the wires in cavities "A" and "D".

Warranty Information
When the correct wiring harness P/N is matched to the specific model year of the vehicle, everything works properly. Therefore, conversion of an incorrect wiring jumper to match the vehicle would not be considered a warrantable repair.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:34 PM   #4

Problem sloved. After a few hours at the GM dealer and at the service centre of my local RV shop. The final analysis is a new wire harness and brake control. A $100 to myself that I should trust my instincts and had the new gear installed. There was an intermetant problem with the brake control wiring (10 years old).

Lesson learned, trust your instincts.

2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 LT
JohnnyinAB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes