Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2015, 12:43 PM   #1

Break Away cable

Just wondering what I might be missing. My Class C with a toad with a Brake Buddy installed. Coiled brake-away line connected to the switch plug on the toad and the receiver frame on the RV. Safety cables connected between base plate on the toad and the receiver frame on thee RV. I assume that the brake-away comes into play if the tow bar fails and disconnects the toad from the RV at which time the the brake-away cable would pull the plug and the Brake Buddy would perform an emergency brake application (and probably further trash the toad in the process). I decided to try to test the process. Disconnected the tow bar and eased the toad away in reverse while watching the Brake Buddy (had to let the toad idle back because the Brake Buddy was using the brake pedal). The toad came to an abrupt stop! The safety cables stopped the toad and the break-away cable was still plugged into the toad. I disconnected the break-away cable from the RV and stretched it out to see when it would pull the plug. I was probably eight feet away and there were still coils in the cable still attached to the plug. I'll keep attaching the break-away cable when I'm travelling out of state ( just to comply with applicable state laws) but I'll keep the Brake Buddy remote with the emergency brake button close by when I'm driving down the road. Am I not understanding or missing something here?
milvet33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:01 PM   #2
Explorer

Break-away cable should be shorter than the emergency cables, adjust appropriately to work
John
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote