Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #1

Break controller

Hello,

I was wondering what types of break controllers are you guys using? Is there a major difference between brands? I have a 2009 Ford F150 with the max tow package so it should be pre-wired for a break controller. So I should just be able to plug it in. I went by the Ford dealership today to see if I could order the Ford factory controller that comes as an option on some Fords. The reason I wanted this is because they install in a storage hole in the dashboard. The dealer said that factory break controller was a factory option and could not be a dealer add on. If it just plugs in, why not? So they were pushing some off brand they had in stock, I just left. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
cdbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #2

Tekonsha is a very popular electric brake controller. They have a variety of units.
Tekonsha

I bought a used Voyager one to get a used TT I bought home with a borrowed F-150.

The truck had the needed wiring harness in a plastic bag in the door pocket to snap right into the existing vehicle socket under the dash. I only had to use a few crimp-on butt splices to get from the controller wires to the provided factory harness, then up under the dash to plug it in.

I then duct taped the controller to the middle seat and adjusted the inertia based control for the 3h drive home.

Once I bought a TV, I then upgraded to the Prodigy P2 and have been very happy with it.

-Glenn
2005 Surveyor SV-230
Bennington Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #3

Before selecting you may want to review the following site as it has some good info: Trailer Brake Controller Information | etrailer.com
"An electric trailer brake controller is a device that supplies power from the tow vehicle to the trailer's electric brakes. Many styles are available that differ from how they look, to the number of brakes they can power, but all of them can be divided up into two main groups, Proportional or Time Delayed.

A
proportional brake controller senses how quickly the tow vehicle is stopping and applies the same amount of braking power to the trailer. With a Time Delayed (or solid state) brake controller when you step on the vehicle brakes a predetermined amount of braking power is sent to the trailer and then there is a delay as the unit ramps up to full braking power."

Old 05-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
Paul & Sheri

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdbus View Post
Hello,

I was wondering what types of break controllers are you guys using? Is there a major difference between brands? I have a 2009 Ford F150 with the max tow package so it should be pre-wired for a break controller. So I should just be able to plug it in. I went by the Ford dealership today to see if I could order the Ford factory controller that comes as an option on some Fords. The reason I wanted this is because they install in a storage hole in the dashboard. The dealer said that factory break controller was a factory option and could not be a dealer add on. If it just plugs in, why not? So they were pushing some off brand they had in stock, I just left. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
For several years I had a 2007 F150 with a Prodigy controller that I added. I mounted it under the dash and plugged it in with the harness that came with the truck. It was easily adjusted and worked very well. Only adjusted it once.

Today I have an F150 with max tow that includes a built in controller right on the dash.
2004 T@B T-16
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #5

I'd check with a different dealer. I fairly sure you can add it afterwards. My experience is that the integrated controllers are by far smoother controllers.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to weiman1983
I added the ford brake controller after I bought my truck. As long as you have the trailer tow package it's possible. I honestly don't remember what it cost and the dealer did it in about 2 hours. From what I understood, it's just a harness that they have to connect.
weiman1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
Missing Link

Go to ebay type in ford oem brake controller. A few on there for $150
Old 05-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #8

You can purchase the controller on ebay or at the dealer. The unit is different on the 2009 than the current 2011 or 2012. Still requies a visit to the dealer to have it activated via a computer they need to plug into your truck. Go to F-150 forums web site and do a search for it.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote