Old 03-14-2015, 08:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Well, those with the coiled cables just wasted money because they are totally useless if the trailer comes loose and hangs on the chains. They will never pull the emergency pin so what good are they?
All break away's are for the worst case scenario (the trailer has left the TV) so it doesn't matter what it is made out of. It is so the cable does not drag on the ground. Also remember ALL break away's are to be attached to the trailer hitch.

Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:08 PM   #32
Mod free 5er

When I pulled a tt, I attached the cable to the front of the receiver and I never hooked it to any part of the hitch in case the hitch itself came out, now that I have a 5er, it is shortened so it can just barely hook over the latch handle.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:23 PM   #33

Seem to be bumping heads here Old one. A trailer hitch and a receiver(i believe) are one in the same.How does a hitch come out?
Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2" Curt Trailer Hitch 9883544
Old 03-14-2015, 09:27 PM   #34
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Seem to be bumping heads here Old one. A trailer hitch and a receiver(i believe) are one in the same.How does a hitch come out?
Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2" Curt Trailer Hitch 9883544
I consider the hitch being the part slide in the receiver and pinned with the 5/8" dia pin.

Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver
Old 03-14-2015, 09:37 PM   #35

Fair enough. What ever that thing is called that is welded/bolted to the frame of your tow vehicle attach the break away to that. Talking about TT not 5ers
Old 03-14-2015, 09:42 PM   #36
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Fair enough. What ever that thing is called that is welded/bolted to the frame of your tow vehicle attach the break away to that. Talking about TT not 5ers
That's what I call the receiver and I would not hook the cable to the chain slots on it just in case a chain pulled thru the bracket. Some folks attach the cable to the tv frame.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:46 PM   #37

Happy camping.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:48 PM   #38

With respect to everyone discussing, you absolutely do not want your breakaway activated when a coupler has jumped the ball into the chain cradle! That is full 12V to those brakes and they will grab hard and you very likely will loose control of the TV and be seriously wrecked. I adjust my trailer brakes 1-2x a season and they will lock with my P3 at 3.4V with B1 boost! Anyway, this has happened, been investigated and documented well by states and the NHTSA, and there are owners even on two other forums who luckily lived through wrecks from this very reason because they didn't know better about proper setup.

You are to set up a ball tow trailer such that 1) chain length must be such that it will catch the coupler before hitting the pavement, 2) the electrical umbilical is of such length that it remains engaged with coupler in the chain cradle - this maintains your control and signaling to those on the road with you, and 3) breakaway is final defense when trailer leaves the TV and breakaway cable should not be attached to hitch anywhere, but separately off the frame.

Breakaway is a precise term, and you will find interpretation of the FMCSA applied: "Breakaway braking requirements for trailers. Every trailer required to be equipped with brakes shall have brakes which apply automatically and immediately upon breakaway from the towing vehicle. With the exception of trailers having three or more axles, all brakes with which the trailer is required to be equipped must be applied upon breakaway from the towing vehicle. The brakes must remain in the applied position for at least 15 minutes."

I have seen pole vaulted utilities three times in my years. I have seen complete breakaway twice. I personally dropped a carrier into the chains in the 80s with three 3 - wheelers on it after the coupler jaw dropped out after the nut and jam nut left! NOT FUN AND YOUR CORRECT MOVE IS TO BRAKE SLOW AND AS EVEN IN A STRAIGHT OF A LINE AS YOU CAN WITH THE TRAILER WAGGING BADLY. Don't hurry to the shoulder or make any sudden directional changes that will crash the trailer into you.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:50 PM   #39

Nice...

2017 Cedar Creek Silverback 37MBH
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L, DRW, 4.10 Rear end
BGKirkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:54 PM   #40
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Happy camping.
And the same to you my friend.