Old 04-23-2015, 12:54 PM   #71

I just looked up the bed-saver device the other day. Pretty good, simple idea.
Just like any breakaway component...hopefully never used!

Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:38 PM   #72
GLCM Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Let's see here, cost of tailgate and damage to truck vs the slight possibility of needing a hitch part for free.
If it were only the hitch parts to be concerned with...but modifying their hitch in any manner is likely an easy out for them on any liability claims should the hitch suffer a catastrophic failure at some future date.

Another consideration was that I'm not convinced the bed savers would hold up to a king pin release at any time other than as you begin to pull away from a stop. The stresses put on the hitch and king pin by the bed saver during a higher speed king pin release (and the outcome of such a release) are anybody's best guess.

As for any truck or trailer damage...I guess that's why I have insurance.

Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:58 PM   #73

It's been a long long time since we pulled a ball hitch trailer, and we could debate for ever on the correct installation way for the breakaway cable! What I can offer is this, one day along time ago, when I was a newbie to Rving as I was hitching up a 22 ft trailer to my GMC 2500 w 350 cid I forgot to attach the break away cable altogether! We left our home and drove for approx. 50 miles with the loop end of the cable dangling on the ground, then all of a sudden the loop end must have snagged something on the pavement and yanked out instantly. Now many years have passed but what is still very clear in my mind is how suddenly we came to a dead stop!! I thought the engine blew up, as we sat there dazed in the right lane of the road. I put the tranny in park. The engine still running I accelerated it and it responded ok so far so good, put in drive doesn't want to move, now I think tranny is blown? Finally get out of the truck to do some checking and notice two very long black streaks on the pavement behind the trailer, and now it finally occurs to me that brakes locked!! Check for the cable at the hitch point not there! Now I have to cut the wires to the safety switch to release the brakes and drive to the nearest town to get repairs! Moral of the story, electric brakes work very well, thank you!
Old 04-24-2015, 01:26 PM   #74

Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote