Old 04-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I just got a call from the dealer's service department......my truck is ready to come back home.

Seems like the front axle actuator solenoid (if I understood him correctly) had gotten water and dirt in it causing it to malfunction. They replaced it with a newer model that is better about keeping the elements out.

This happened Sunday, they picked it up on Monday, fixed it today, and back home tomorrow....unless I can get a ride to the dealer today. That is pretty good service in my book.

The Ford Extended Service Plan paid for the fix and the tow.....minus a $100 deductible. I betcha the tow alone was that, plus a lot more for the fix.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:44 PM   #22
2011 Berkshire 390bh

If you follow Ford stock, maybe Ford should be an acronymn for

Financial
Outlook
Remains
Dreamy

I've had more than a few clients make some pretty good money on Ford stock.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I just got a call from the dealer's service department......my truck is ready to come back home.

Seems like the front axle actuator solenoid (if I understood him correctly) had gotten water and dirt in it causing it to malfunction. They replaced it with a newer model that is better about keeping the elements out.

This happened Sunday, they picked it up on Monday, fixed it today, and back home tomorrow....unless I can get a ride to the dealer today. That is pretty good service in my book.

The Ford Extended Service Plan paid for the fix and the tow.....minus a $100 deductible. I betcha the tow alone was that, plus a lot more for the fix.
That's great news, glad it work out for you
Old 04-27-2010, 02:04 PM   #24

That's great news Chap. Glad it was nothing serious. I have to admit, I too had a '79 Ford F150 supercab that was a really good truck although it got worse gas milage than my 37' motorhome. Someone had ordred it originally with the 460 (or put one in it) as I was told the F150 didn't come with that engine back then. You could sure watch the gas gauge go down though.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:25 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
If you follow Ford stock, maybe Ford should be an acronymn for

Financial
Outlook
Remains
Dreamy

I've had more than a few clients make some pretty good money on Ford stock.

I like that Ford acronym !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
That's great news Chap. Glad it was nothing serious. I have to admit, I too had a '79 Ford F150 supercab that was a really good truck although it got worse gas milage than my 37' motorhome. Someone had ordred it originally with the 460 (or put one in it) as I was told the F150 didn't come with that engine back then. You could sure watch the gas gauge go down though.
My '79 was getting in the 12 to 13 mpg range.....but that was with 185,000 miles on the engine. But that was with the 300 6 banger....I can only image what a 460 would be like. I don't think my truck ever got over about 17 mpg even when it was new. The new engines with fuel injection have it all over the old carburetor engines......of course, you have to be an electrical engineer to work on the new stuff.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #26

Yeah my F150 with the 460, empty got about 7 mpg! I had even rebuilt the engine. Ran great but ouch the mileage was bad. Someone before me had removed the old bench seat and put in buckets on swiveling pedestals. I put in new carpet, was a nice truck for running to the dump or picking up a load of bark.

Actually been thinking lately of getting a newer F150 supercab for hauling our boat. Would be much better than doing it with the Liberty. Just can't decide to buy one that is a few years old or buy a new one and get the warranty.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 04-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Actually been thinking lately of getting a newer F150 supercab for hauling our boat. Would be much better than doing it with the Liberty. Just can't decide to buy one that is a few years old or buy a new one and get the warranty.

Even though my truck ended up on a roll-back, it is still a great truck. I don't think you can beat an F150 for your boat or lumber gittn'. The last couple of years, Ford has been offering $5000 rebates during October and November on the previous years models. That is what convinced me that I needed to replace my 27 year old truck for a new one.......plus I had questions on how my '96 S10 Blazer was going to handle the used Trailmanor that I had just bought at that time. With the rebate, I picked up my truck for $25,710.......I don't think that was too bad for a loaded F150 XLT Super Cab, 4x4. But that is $20,000 more than I spent on my stripped down '79 F150 4x2.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:31 AM   #28

Quote:
Holy Crap Jeeper, now THAT'S what you should put in your JEEP!! Yeah, big ole 460 poking out of that would be cool!!!
Old 04-28-2010, 11:25 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMike View Post
Holy Crap Jeeper, now THAT'S what you should put in your JEEP!! Yeah, big ole 460 poking out of that would be cool!!!
Actually there is a Hemi conversion for the Jeeps done by a company in Missoula MT. (keeps it in the Mopar family). I don't have enough money for the conversion let alone the parts past the transmission I would break with that much power
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 04-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

I just got back home with my repaired truck.