Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2016, 07:44 PM   #1

Brought home my new travel trailer and I never felt so scared!

Hi all,
Today I picked up my newly purchased 2013 PrimeTime Avenger 26ft travel trailer . It felt great on the main roads, but once I got on the highway, it was terrifying for me. I felt at times the the steering was loose, drifting of the tow vehicle... hard to explain, but I felt at times it was hard to control, and my speed limit was only 50mph. It has a WDH and a say bar. Trailer is 4800lbs and tongue 500. My sister told me that maybe I needed to adjust the chain on the WDH, she suggested I take if up one more link to make tighter, which would put more weight on my front vehicle axle. I'm new at this. I have watched a lot of videos and did a lot of research...but I'm lost here. Thank you for any suggestions.
DebMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:53 PM   #2

Tell us what your tow vehicle is and what brand of WDH. I'm sure we can help.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to B and B
What type of tow vehicle do you have DebMar?
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:55 PM   #4

The WDH is a Pro Series, and I am towing with a 2015 Dodge Durango with tow package. Thanks
Old 04-07-2016, 08:15 PM   #5

While you get help with the WD hitch also be aware tire pressure and tire type is important. Are your tire pressures at the proper level?

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:18 PM   #6

It's not a quick fix. The proper way is to measure the wheel well openings from the ground to the bottom of the tire opening, front and back, then hook up the trailer, you want enough tension on the bars to bring the measurements back to where they are empty. It won't be exact but the closer the better, also, when adjusted correctly the torsion bars should be parrallel with the frame of the RV. It sounds like you don't have enough tension on the bars to transfer weight back to the front end of the truck. It will usually take a few times to get it correct. Also be sure that the trailer is as close to level when done. Just measure the front and rear of the frame to the ground. I hope this makes sense, once adjusted correctly you will have no problems. Good luck
Old 04-07-2016, 08:28 PM   #7

I picked up from dealer and they were suppose to check over everything, but I will check that myself tomorrow. My husband should have a tire pressure gauge. Thank you
Old 04-07-2016, 08:30 PM   #8

Crusadernoob, I just read about that. I will measure the wheel well opening like you said. Thank you so much, I hope this will do it. I just read this manual for my sway bar and WDH http://www.proseriestowing.com/suppo...ion/N49902.pdf
Old 04-07-2016, 08:32 PM   #9

you should completely load the camper first, otherwise you will have to start over when you change the tongue weight.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:33 PM   #10
Learning a lot as I go...

Dodge Durango is built to provide a nice cushy ride rather than as a hauling vehicle. So you are working at a handicap there.

First and easiest thing to do is put your tire pressures up to the max they are rated for.

Next is to double check your weight distribution and make sure you are not putting all the weight on the back end. As already mentioned: measure the wheel well heights front and rear with and without the trailer fully hooked up.

Next would be to check your sway bar to make sure it is clamped down and not loose. Many can be adjusted to be tigher. It may also be that a second sway bar may help so you have one on each side.

After that things start to get much more expensive with tow vehicle tires being the next stop. Followed by shocks, perhaps springs, etc.
stevejahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
While you get help with the WD hitch also be aware tire pressure and tire type is important. Are your tire pressures at the proper level?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejahr View Post
Dodge Durango is built to provide a nice cushy ride rather than as a hauling vehicle. So you are working at a handicap there.

First and easiest thing to do is put your tire pressures up to the max they are rated for.

Next is to double check your weight distribution and make sure you are not putting all the weight on the back end. As already mentioned: measure the wheel well heights front and rear with and without the trailer fully hooked up.

Next would be to check your sway bar to make sure it is clamped down and not loose. Many can be adjusted to be tigher. It may also be that a second sway bar may help so you have one on each side.

After that things start to get much more expensive with tow vehicle tires being the next stop. Followed by shocks, perhaps springs, etc.
I will check the tires. I towed it today empty from rv dealership. I will most likely get another sway.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
you should completely load the camper first, otherwise you will have to start over when you change the tongue weight.
okay, don't laugh. Change the tongue weight?? what does that mean LOL
Old 04-07-2016, 08:46 PM   #13

tongue weight is the weight at the hitch
Old 04-07-2016, 08:48 PM   #14

If you step back and look at the entire combo of Tv and trailer it should be pretty close to level. You may need to move the hitch ball up or down to accomplish this and tighten down on the chains. Easiest way to accomplish chain tightening is to close the latch on the trailer hitch, let the electric trailer jack down and keep it running until the rear of the Durango moves higher, about 4 inches higher then it was with the trailer latched on. Then latch the chains on the WDH as tight as you can get them. Let the electric jack lower the combo and if this has been done right, the rear of the Durango will not be as low as it was without the WD hitch bars attached. Again step back and see if the whole package seems level. As mentioned the only fool-proof way is to measure tire deflection from the fender, but a level rig is a good indication that you are there.

If your stock tires call for 32# pressure, try increasing that to 36# in the rears, or maybe 4-5# over what the sticker on your door says.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:48 PM   #15
Who Dares, Wins

Depending on where you put things before or behind the axle will make the tongue (hitch) heavier or lighter. Think see saw.

I agree, get loaded up with your camping load out. This will be what you need to set up for. P rated tires might need to go for LT tires (stiffer sidewalls). Not sure what the max tow and cargo capacity is for the Durango but that is a start.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Depending on where you put things before or behind the axle will make the tongue (hitch) heavier or lighter. Think see saw.

I agree, get loaded up with your camping load out. This will be what you need to set up for. P rated tires might need to go for LT tires (stiffer sidewalls). Not sure what the max tow and cargo capacity is for the Durango but that is a start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
If you step back and look at the entire combo of Tv and trailer it should be pretty close to level. You may need to move the hitch ball up or down to accomplish this and tighten down on the chains. Easiest way to accomplish chain tightening is to close the latch on the trailer hitch, let the electric trailer jack down and keep it running until the rear of the Durango moves higher, about 4 inches higher then it was with the trailer latched on. Then latch the chains on the WDH as tight as you can get them. Let the electric jack lower the combo and if this has been done right, the rear of the Durango will not be as low as it was without the WD hitch bars attached. Again step back and see if the whole package seems level. As mentioned the only fool-proof way is to measure tire deflection from the fender, but a level rig is a good indication that you are there.

If your stock tires call for 32# pressure, try increasing that to 36# in the rears, or maybe 4-5# over what the sticker on your door says.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
tongue weight is the weight at the hitch
okay, I am going to try again tomorrow. I will do as you said and hope it does the trick. I just don't want to take the kids with me until I know I have more control when towing. Thank you all so much for you input.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:59 PM   #17
Who Dares, Wins

The 4800lbs and 500 TW is that the "dry" weight or "unloaded" weight from the sticker on the trailer / brochure ?

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #18

you don't want your Durango to be perfectly level. It takes some weight on the rear to achieve proper handling, but not too much. When checking tire pressures, do not exceed what the maximum stated on tire sidewall shows.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:06 PM   #19

Here's a problem with your tires, yes, they will be P tires, but you aren't hauling a lot, I would ignore the door placard recommendation and lean more towards the max psi. on the tire itself. The only true way to determine psi. is to weigh your rig FULLY LOADED at each tire, then you would know the weight on the tire, and then you can figure out what SHOULD be run for air pressure. Way over what needs to be done for what you are doing, you are not that heavy, max tire load is only at the max pressure, it is reduced when not fully inflated. Also, on the sidewall it will state the max weight for that tire at the max pressure for that tire, always check cold. I would set tire psi., load RV, set hitch so all is level, verify wheel well heights and I would bet you will be very close to what you need.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebMar View Post
okay, I am going to try again tomorrow. I will do as you said and hope it does the trick. I just don't want to take the kids with me until I know I have more control when towing. Thank you all so much for you input.
Try these recommendations you have been given. They are sound comments without more information than you have shared. When you make adjustments take the whole rig back out in the mornings after rush hour, less stress, and that will give you a chance to notice what makes a difference. I had to learn that some of my bad travel experience was due to me over anticipating what I thought was coming.

You are going to be OK. Enjoy and share your experience with us.

Safe travels...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer