Old 04-08-2016, 02:29 PM   #31
HikerBob

I'd appreciate it if someone could explain how a WDH (I'm guessing that is a weight distribution hitch) works to put weight on the front tires. It seems to me that anything that's attached to the rear end of the towing vehicle is going to add weight to that end.
If there's a link to an explaination, please let me know. Thanks.

HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:43 PM   #32

It's all about lever and fulcrum. You just have to believe it works, unless you want to listen to a bunch of BS from all the engineers. LOL

2011 Ford F350 fx4 6.7 SRW
2016 Sandpiper 360PDEK

ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:58 PM   #33

After seem many of my neighbor's with incorrectly set up WDHs, I wouldn't trust a dealership to put air in my tires.

I towed a 26 foot camper for years with a diesel Grand Cherokee using an equalizer weight distribution hitch. It did a great job and I never felt unsafe when towing it even in high winds.

Your statement that the steering felt light means that your WDH wasn't adjusted correctly. Whatever you do, get a real Equalizer hitch. They are worth every penny.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:03 PM   #34

I tow a 6700 pound Rockwood TT with a 2014 Durango. Properly set up, I could tow between 60 and 65 okay but a big truck going by, caused the Durango to move around more than I liked, even with max tire pressure. As someone suggested, I started looking for LT tires but could not find any in the size I needed. So I switched to Pirelli Scorpion Verde extra load tires. They are V rated and have a higher load rating then the standard tires, meaning their sidewalls are stiffer. The Durango rides stiffer without the trailer, but much better with the trailer.
frisbyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:22 PM   #35

“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.” -Archimedes

Weight Distributing Hitches and weights explained...ish - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
Old 04-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbyh View Post
I tow a 6700 pound Rockwood TT with a 2014 Durango. Properly set up, I could tow between 60 and 65 okay but a big truck going by, caused the Durango to move around more than I liked, even with max tire pressure. As someone suggested, I started looking for LT tires but could not find any in the size I needed. So I switched to Pirelli Scorpion Verde extra load tires. They are V rated and have a higher load rating then the standard tires, meaning their sidewalls are stiffer. The Durango rides stiffer without the trailer, but much better with the trailer.
Is your Durango the hemi?
DebMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:25 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
After seem many of my neighbor's with incorrectly set up WDHs, I wouldn't trust a dealership to put air in my tires.

I towed a 26 foot camper for years with a diesel Grand Cherokee using an equalizer weight distribution hitch. It did a great job and I never felt unsafe when towing it even in high winds.

Your statement that the steering felt light means that your WDH wasn't adjusted correctly. Whatever you do, get a real Equalizer hitch. They are worth every penny.
An equalizer hitch... okay, I'm going to contact this place that I know specializes in installation of hitches, braking systems, etc... I'm sure they will know more than the rv dealership did. Thank you.
DebMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:17 PM   #38

A couple things. First, di you have an anti-sway bar, and if so, crank it down a little tighter. Second, on the Durango, i bet you have P-passenger tires. I would put on an LT tire of the same size. Third, move sime weight in the trailer from the rear toward the front. Forth, take up some links in the WDH. Lastly, look at the rating of the tires on the trailer. They are probably B-range and are right at the axle weight limits. I replaced my TT with a C-range tire and the benefits are increased tire pressure (roles easier) and stuffer sidewalls. These are things i did to improve towability with half ton.
Rick_Geneseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:49 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
If you step back and look at the entire combo of Tv and trailer it should be pretty close to level. You may need to move the hitch ball up or down to accomplish this and tighten down on the chains. Easiest way to accomplish chain tightening is to close the latch on the trailer hitch, let the electric trailer jack down and keep it running until the rear of the Durango moves higher, about 4 inches higher then it was with the trailer latched on. Then latch the chains on the WDH as tight as you can get them. Let the electric jack lower the combo and if this has been done right, the rear of the Durango will not be as low as it was without the WD hitch bars attached. Again step back and see if the whole package seems level. As mentioned the only fool-proof way is to measure tire deflection from the fender, but a level rig is a good indication that you are there.

If your stock tires call for 32# pressure, try increasing that to 36# in the rears, or maybe 4-5# over what the sticker on your door says.
Your Durango probably has load range C metric radial tires. They are probably way overloaded. I would start, after leveling the rig with the WDH. Then set tire pressure, while cold, to the max pressure rating on the tire. It's printed on the tire. Then make sure you have a good spare as my original auto style van tire blew everytime I pulled the first two trips with too much weight on the TV rear tires. Don't trust the dealer setup or anything THEY told you you could do while THEY were selling you things. Salesmen either lie or are selectively ignorant. Good luck.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:13 AM   #40

Food for thought !! If you are going to tow the trailer a lot. Look into a better hitch. Hensley makes one of the best hitches for sway. Cost is high but great hitch will fix the sway and help for highway speed. You will feel safer in the wind and trucks passing. https://hensleymfg.com/

Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer