Old 04-10-2016, 12:30 AM   #61

Just out of curiosity who was the dealer? Our TT is 3100 dry weight and our Durango tow capacity is only 5900, we have no problems towing ours. Yes we hear noise but don't feel the trailer. We don't have chains to adjust our hitch but plenty of people have given advice on how to adjust them anyway.
I want to avoid the dealer you got it from, I really think your trailer is too much for your Durango.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:07 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebMar View Post
The WDH is a Pro Series, and I am towing with a 2015 Dodge Durango with tow package. Thanks
I had the same problem with a 2008 Durango and a lite weight trailer. Found out the wheel base is too short, even if the weight is OK. You may need more truck, hard pill to swallow, I know.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:11 AM   #63

The OPs trailer has a pretty large cargo capacity, at 4800 lbs dry, they can still be below the GVWR 5900 lbs of your trailer packing 1000 lbs of stuff. This is still below the 6200 lb tow capacity of her V6 Durango but not by a whole lot. The OP can work with this trailer, just needs to pack light and be mindful of balance.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:23 AM   #64

I had that same wdh and the instructions recommend 2 sway bars for your size trailer. They are under 50 dollars so could be worth a try. Remember to just tighten with one finger to get a sense of how tight to make them.

Some bobbing is going to happen and some roads cause far more issues.

I eventually went to a little shorter camper and an equalizer hitch so I am not sure it is an apples to apples comparison but I love my equalizer and being done with those types of sway bars.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:48 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebMar View Post
It was noisy even driving straight, grinding the entire ride. Once I removed it, nothing. And WDH I upped it one more link, it was bobbing like crazy. Pulled over and put back to 3rd link and came home

I have an Equalizer hitch used twice sitting in my garage. If you are close to SE NC you can use it for a while. Set up correctly it is the best thing going and no need for sway bars as it is built in.
CaptnJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:00 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
The OPs trailer has a pretty large cargo capacity, at 4800 lbs dry, they can still be below the GVWR 5900 lbs of your trailer packing 1000 lbs of stuff. This is still below the 6200 lb tow capacity of her V6 Durango but not by a whole lot. The OP can work with this trailer, just needs to pack light and be mindful of balance.
I agree it can work if they pack light, but Durango's have squishy shocks for a smoother ride even with the tow package, and short wheel base. You can upgrade shocks to heavy duty ones made for towing which will help the bouncy ride but you can't change the wheel base. I think they can make it work if they choose.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:07 AM   #67

Yes, it can work. I have the same length of trailer towing with the Durango....
Old 04-10-2016, 09:07 AM   #68

IMO you are set up about as good as you are going to get. You've distributed the weight to within 1/4" of the original front fender height. That's pretty precise.

The only other thing you might look into is some suspension enhancements for your TV. Stiffer springs, shocks and maybe an anti sway bar. Short of that, just travel at slower speeds and smell the roses and don't work your TV to hard or you'll tear it up.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:54 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
Yes, it can work. I have the same length of trailer towing with the Durango....

But do you have the same camper? Is your camper the same weight? Same tongue weight? Is your Durango the same configuration? Same year? Is your Durango a V6? All configurations are different, and their configuration just might not work.
Also... Grinding noises on turns is one thing... I'm not sure it should always be grinding. The one season I had a sway bar, I didn't hear grinding noises when driving straight. It is possible I just didn't hear them, but I'm usually pretty tuned into what's going on with my set up. With my equalizer, I'm usually good right up until I hit the campground... Then everyone knows I've arrived... I guess you could say "it pops," 😂
I hope you get this figured out. Nothing's worse than having a camper you don't want to take on the road (been there too).

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 04-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
But do you have the same camper? Is your camper the same weight? Same tongue weight? Is your Durango the same configuration? Same year? Is your Durango a V6? All configurations are different, and their configuration just might not work.
Also... Grinding noises on turns is one thing... I'm not sure it should always be grinding. The one season I had a sway bar, I didn't hear grinding noises when driving straight. It is possible I just didn't hear them, but I'm usually pretty tuned into what's going on with my set up. With my equalizer, I'm usually good right up until I hit the campground... Then everyone knows I've arrived... I guess you could say "it pops," 😂
I hope you get this figured out. Nothing's worse than having a camper you don't want to take on the road (been there too).

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Not the same camper but the same dry weight, hitch weight and lenght. I do have the Hemi though and a different wdh. My point was the SUV as a tow vehicle can work. Yes, there are alot of things to consider, but you would have to consider alot of factors in selecting the right truck too. The distain for the SUV regardless of the set up by some people is quite clear.

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer