Old 06-18-2014, 10:49 PM   #11
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
That rubber is going to pop. Anyway, ya can safely deflate the tire?

The pic isn't real clear on my monitor but that looks like a scuff mark on the rim lip, where the bubble is. This kind of bubble is commonly caused by a shock pinch, due to hitting potholes, RR tracks, or curbs. (or what we call everyday driving)

P.S. Even when you deflate the tire, the bubble is going to most likely remain for awhile........but won't have the backup force of a fully inflated tire. You most likely have a small hole in your inner liner that can be caused by a puncture near the edge of the tread but is commonly caused by an inner rim lip pinching it when hitting a pot hole/curbs/rr tracks and/or the shock of the casing cords breaking from same.....that is letting the air inside the tire into the outer rubber casing. The pressure will eventually overcome the casing and it will pop.

When you get the tire dismounted off of the wheel, you probably can look inside with a good light, and may have to flex the sidewall at the bubble point,,,but you should be able to find a small cut in the inside liner.
I'm with him.

It's on the inside, so you're reasonably safe. Pull the valve cap and use a small screwdriver to push the valve core and let the pressure out of the tire. If that blows it could blow violently and bend the rim or damage the trailer depending on what's in it's way.

Like WM said, that's a pinch injury. Potholes, debris in the road usually cause the inside ones, outside ones are usually curb strikes. It could also be a factory defect within the tire, since you just got it you might be able to get it warrantied.

But please don't get under it again, there's an amazing amount of energy inside a fully inflated tire.

Now-2014 Sierra 346RETS 5er BUB
Then-2002 Keystone Springdale 286RLDS TT

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:07 AM   #12
Mrs. Gatraid
Coach net sent out someone to replace with the spare. Thanks for all your comments and tips. This is why the forum is so great.

I saw another post this morning, much farther down, that states these tires were expanded in recall and I believe it includes our date code now. We already have a call into Double Camel.
See Awwall's post from 6.12.2014 "trailer tire recall"

FYI my pic consisted of holding my cell under there and snapping the photo. I only noticed this bulge because I was trying to snap photos as my DH was pulling our relatively new TT down the street. Normally I would be in there and then help navigate our drive but with two sick kids yesterday I stayed home and he brought it home from the storage by himself. Feeling blessed for the circumstances.

2013 F150
2014 Salem 32BHDS
1989 Citation 190XL
GATRAID is online now   Reply With Quote

2014, salem, tire