Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2017, 08:22 PM   #1

Bumper Pull TT Hitch Lock Suggestions: Your experiences & advice please!!

Greetings,

We will probably be buying a 2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 282BHDS at the end of the week.

This is replacing the Flagstaff HW27KS pop-up we sold last week.

I am looking at security options for different brands and types of hitch locks, and possible secondary security measure for the wheel/axle.

I know the old saying "locks only keep an honest person honest" and that a "lock only slows down a determined thief".

I agree, but something with no lock siting next to something with a lock is always the better target.

Will you give me some suggestions and advice on security solutions for securing the hitch and possibly the wheels for this travel trailer.

Also, there is a 100 watt solar panel mounted on the roof. What is a good solution for securing the battery?

I want to keep the battery on it, so it keeps a charge with the solar panel.

The storage place it will be kept at has a military base on 3 sides, has only one entry/exit with 2 sets of secured gates, cameras and very good lighting.

Although this is all great, I still want to add another level of protection to the trailer.

Thank you for your input!

-Andrew
IslandVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #2

I went with Proven Locks after watching this video of theirs

https://youtu.be/NMu_GnNnnBE
Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Nurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:23 PM   #3

I'm hoping to have a Proven under my RV tree this year also!

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:02 PM   #4
Scoundrel

I asked the same question a few weeks ago... http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ks-146609.html

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:32 PM   #5

I store my TT at a local storage yard when not in use. Once I put batteries in it for the season, I don't want to remove them until winter. So I installed a tongue box (specifically made by Westin), it's a wedge shape and holds two group 26 batteries with room to spare. I drilled two port holes in the bottom and two at the rear towards the gap with the trailer, but up high in the box. This will allow any noxious gasses to be vented during charging. It's an aluminum box, so it can be broken into, however the lock is a push button and I don't have to fiddle around with padlocks. It's also nice to store tools, hitch balls, and misc. parts in.

For propane, I put them on a quick disconnect so I can take them with me once I get back from a weekend.
DNA Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:49 PM   #6

I use this Master lock for the hitch. For the batteries I have a Power Armor box from Forklift International. I like this battery box because it is aluminum and has vent holes. It was easy to customize it to my application.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #7
Broken Toe

Any lock is better than no lock, but I have moved (not hauled, but just moved) a couple trailers with their hitch levers locked with padlocks by taking the ball off my Convert-a-ball and just using the post to go up into the ball socket.

I've not tried that trick with a Proven lock, but I bet that (if ever needed) i could use the chains to make a "basket" on the Convert-a-ball post to at least be able to move it. Some sort or wheel lock would be more secure, till a guy hooked up to it and tried to pull it and tears up your suspension.

I would recommend the Proven Locks lock, taking the batteries with you, and a really good insurance policy.

tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:04 PM   #8

For the hitch, I use the small lock that is available at Wallyworld (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Reese-Tow...Brass/16880810) and most other places. Cheap, and it works. One of those clamp on ones that covers the receiver is better, just never seen the need yet.

For the Battery, I use the RV battery lock at B & D RV Battery Lock For RV travel trailers and popup campers. . Last storage lot I was in, it saved my battery from being stolen. Although I have seen someone use one of those metal straps that has all the holes in them with a lock. Worked!

I also lock my propane tanks with a bicycle cable lock.

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:16 PM   #9
Pockets

Once the TT is parked. I take the hitch out of the receiver, put the ball in the coupler, push down the latch and then lock it with whatever lock you are using. This way I don't bump into the hitch whenever I'm in the back of the pickup. And the coupler is occupied and locked.
3.5L Ecoboost, 3:73 axle, Max Tow Pkg 2015(36 nights) 2016(74 nights) 2017(174 nights) 2018(157 nights) 2019(79 nights) 2020(108 nights)
Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:01 PM   #10

I have tried many different hitch locks and sometimes due to me losing a key had to break them off and was able to do so with not much effort. I then saw a review from on the Long Long Honeymooon channel this past summer about Proven Industries hitch lock. I thought it was a little much but it showed up on my Bday thanks to me leaving the video up and my wife seeing it. Anyway, it is awesome. Heavy duty and fits the hitch perfectly. I really don't see how you can get this off without major effort and power tools. I hope I don't lose my key for this lock. I bought it from the vloggers at Long Long Honeymoon as I like their videos and wanted to support them, check them out.
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:58 PM   #11

Put a Hensley hitch on your trailer, you will love the benefits when towing and it will be nearly impossible to steal.
I won't sell mine in case I go back to a bumper pull trailer.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, lock