Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
Site Team - Lou

Bumper weight rating

I would like to add a cargo carrier to the rear bumper of my Flagstaff 8526RLWS to carry my Yamaha 3000SeB generator.

The load I plan to carry in the hitch mounted cargo carrier is 300 pounds.

The Cargo carrier I selected is rated at 500 pounds.
The 4 inch bumper reciever is also rated at 500 pounds.

The rear bumper on the 8526 5th wheel is a 4 inch square tubular steel bumper welded to the I beam frame of the camper.

How do I find out the bumper weight carrying capacity?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk 7769 View Post
I would like to add a cargo carrier to the rear bumper of my Flagstaff 8526RLWS to carry my Yamaha 3000SeB generator.

The load I plan to carry in the hitch mounted cargo carrier is 300 pounds.

The Cargo carrier I selected is rated at 500 pounds.
The 4 inch bumper receiver is also rated at 500 pounds.

The rear bumper on the 8526 5th wheel is a 4 inch square tubular steel bumper welded to the I beam frame of the camper.

How do I find out the bumper weight carrying capacity?
At one of the last RV shows I went to Forest River had a sticker on the back of a travel trail with the weight rating for the bumper and it stated 150 lbs max 6" out from the bumper. You may what to call your dealer, I am sure they will tell you but then and again some one here may have the answer for you on 5th wheels.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:54 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Yikes!
Old 05-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #4

I don't know that I would even trust it for 150 lbs, rather take it to a local metal fabrication shop and have the hitch built and welded to the frame, or if you have access to welding equipment and either the skills or a friend with the skills you could do it yourself, I made a hitch for the back of my trailer for less than $50 in parts and supplies, add a couple hundred for labor and you should be set at a metal shop, they will also provide an estimate before starting. At least you will know that you expensive generator will travel safely without causing damage to the trailer or generator
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

thank you so much

I was worried that my plan would not work out when the rubber end caps started walking out on long drives when I added the "Blue Boy" mount on the rear bumber. I will have to move the generator to the front of the truck using the front 2 inch reciever for the dry camping trip this summer and investigate a custom hitch for the rear of the camper when we get back.

Thanks to you both. Most likely you saved me a ton of money.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

FR Update

Back to the drawing board.

Got a reply through the dealer regarding mounting ANYTHING on their 4 inch POC bumper. NO WAY. They don't even recommend the spare tire carrier the thing ships with. No bike rack etc.

As to a FRAME mounted hitch for the cargo carrier like:
Adjustable Width Trailer Hitch Receiver for RVs, 22" to 72" Wide Curt Specialty Trailer Hitches 13703

They "Don't recommend anything fastened to their Ultra-Lite Frames" and doing so will void any warranty.

So.....

Looking at putting the darn thing on the front truck mount reciever and mounting and dismounting the entire thing at the campground.

OR

Leaving it in the truck bed. Most likely that will be the final solution.
Now to see what I can do with the cargo carrier and bumper hitch I bought. Ebay?