Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #1

Buying a new Expedition

So I'm a relatively happy owner of a 2006 Expedition, looking to upgrade to a new 2013 model. I just have a question on the new car buying experience - as I've always purchased used in the past. The reason I'm looking at new is because I don't see much of a price difference between a new 2013 and say a 2012 or so with 10k, even 20k miles.

So anyways, I've been to 2 dealers.. both tell me that they can't come down any more than like $100 over "Invoice" price. They even showed me their invoice sheet from the factory. Internet price is the absolute best they can offer. Is this the way the game is played nowadays? No more haggling - or is there still some way I can get the dealer to come down? The other thing I asked is - why should I purchase my new vehicle from you? The answer? We'll give you your first oil change for free.

Boy oh boy, stop the presses! Saving up to $40.00 is the reason I should purchase a $50,000.00 vehicle from you? This process has been somewhat of a let-down. Please tell me I'm not alone.. Or better yet, tell me there's some secret I don't know...?

2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2013 Salem 26TBUD
nullvalue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #2

I bought a 2013 limited with everything DVD players and all. It stickered at right around 58,000.00 I get x plan which brings it to 100.00 over dealer cost. Then I got around 8000.00 in rebates. Then I talked them down another 2000.00. My wife's uncle was one of the best sales guy in this area he made dealerships lots of money. He told me they don't make there money from the car they make it from the financing.
Smitty3215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty3215 View Post
I bought a 2013 limited with everything DVD players and all. It stickered at right around 58,000.00 I get x plan which brings it to 100.00 over dealer cost. Then I got around 8000.00 in rebates. Then I talked them down another 2000.00. My wife's uncle was one of the best sales guy in this area he made dealerships lots of money. He told me they don't make there money from the car they make it from the financing.
That's what I'm looking at - limited w/ everything but the DVD. Sticker is 52, I don't get the x plan but they said the best they can do is about 47 which they claim is already just the 100 over invoice. The rebates came off the 52.. Is there any way they can get me the x plan even if i may not qualify otherwise?

2013 Salem 26TBUD
Old 07-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #4

They can give it to you without even having it.
Smitty3215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #5

In all honesty, $50Kish sounds about right for a 3/4 ton SUV, if it's loaded I'd most say it's a good deal.

I can remember when you could buy a 2-year car, with less than 30K miles, for about half it's selling price. Not any more. If you have to finance, new is really the better purchase.

I have a friend who is a sales manager for a Toyota dealership. He commented to me the dealers make their money off the financing on new vehicles. Sales guy doesn't make much commission on a new car. His big commission comes from the used ones. Although is one orders a good number of options and/or gets an extended service plan, then that racks up the commission on a new vehicle.
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
In all honesty, $50Kish sounds about right for a 3/4 ton SUV, if it's loaded I'd most say it's a good deal.

I can remember when you could buy a 2-year car, with less than 30K miles, for about half it's selling price. Not any more. If you have to finance, new is really the better purchase.

I have a friend who is a sales manager for a Toyota dealership. He commented to me the dealers make their money off the financing on new vehicles. Sales guy doesn't make much commission on a new car. His big commission comes from the used ones. Although is one orders a good number of options and/or gets an extended service plan, then that racks up the commission on a new vehicle.
I guess you're right. Just leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth after I got such an awesome deal on my 06 bauer.. bought it with 20k miles 1 year old, pretty close to half off the news at the time. Ugh..

2013 Salem 26TBUD
Old 07-18-2013, 06:53 AM   #7

When we were shopping for a Tundra last year, I found an '08 loaded up pretty nicely for only a $1K less than the new one I was looking at and eventually purchased. Now, the one I bought doesn't have the number of 'goodies' that the used one had. My '12 Tundra sold for $30K, the nicely loaded '08 was selling for $29K. But Toyota puts the same 4.30 rear end and heavy duty tow package in all it's trucks regardless of how loaded it is. So I found the new one a better deal. I honestly thought a new truck at that price wasn't bad for having a 9700# tow rating. BTW, the mileage on the '08 was 30K. I found an '07 with 95K miles selling for $26K. Wow.
Plus I couldn't find much more than 10 used Tundras in the '07 and up model years in the whole state.
I think the 'Cash for Clunkers' helped spur the price spike in used vehicles. All those new vehicles being sold without any used ones being traded in. Really lowered inventory. Plus with economy being what it is, the demand for lower-priced used vehicles in good condition also spiked. And you can almost say the same for travel trailers, although I think hat really varies by region.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post

Ford does not make a 3/4 ton SUV anymore. Have not since the 2005 Model Year.

Personally I think those prices are just nuts. Cars have seen double digit inflation for years now, way outstripping the economy. They are already back to giving up to 10K in rebates on full size trucks, which 5 years ago Ford swore they would/could never do again.

With that said, the Expedition is still cheaper than the Tahoe/Suburban.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
Always Learning

When I bought my truck, I contacted 3 local dealerships and one 1 internet ("best price anywhere ever" kind of place). 3 of the 4 offered me the exact same price as each other (literally down to the dollar). The last one (and ironically, where I bought from because they were more convenient to get to after the sale) eventually came down when we walked out and their smooth talking sales manager talked me back in.

I think pricing is fairly set. Maybe if I were a better negotiator, I could have gotten more off of what they offered. But, I was happy with the price I paid (way too much for a truck, imo- but comparatively to the MSRP and Edmonds/KBB speaking).
Old 07-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
Ford does not make a 3/4 ton SUV anymore. Have not since the 2005 Model Year.

With that said, the Expedition is still cheaper than the Tahoe/Suburban.
Sorry, I thought the Expidition was a 3/4 ton. And it is cheaper than the GM and Toyota equivalent.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #11

Well, we bit the bullet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0391.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	35735  

2013 Salem 26TBUD
Old 07-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #12

Well then, change that sig line!
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
Well then, change that sig line!
Haha workin on it.. need to get a new tow pic.. Haven't even had a chance to hook up the trailer yet.

2013 Salem 26TBUD