Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #1

Buying a used diesel tv.

Full disclosure: I know virtually nothing about Diesel engines.

But I am thinking maybe trading my Tundra for a diese.

Seems I have read some threads that suggest some years of diesels were not so good. Don't know if they were GM, Ford, or Dodge Ram, maybe some of each.

So the question is, which years, size and mfgr should I stay away from?lease

Thanks in advance for your thoughts
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
Engineer of Crazy Train

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur...diesel_trucks/

Little help to get you started
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
Thanks for that link . That's the kind if info I was looking for.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
Now a "Top Member"

What that article doesn't mention is the 2011+ PowerStrokes. If you can fit one of these in your budget, you will do well. This is by far the most powerful diesel Ford has. And in general, it has been a very reliable engine. Mine certainly has. Not saying it hasn't had its hiccups, but Ford done good with this one. It is certainly worth a look.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #5

A lot of buying a diesel is going to depend on your budget and what you are willing to pay to maintain them done the road. You can get low mileage older ones for significantly less money than a new one. With that said though, you are still going to pay substantially more for a used diesel than a used gasser. Also note that buying a truck with an engine produced just before the emissions started hitting them will increase the demand as well as the price! For example I bought an 06' 5.9 cummins because in 07.5" Dodge switched the the 6.7 with much more demanding emission standards on them. I paid more at the time of the sale but then again my re sale is going to up as several people don't want to deal with the emissions BS... Also in 2013 it became mandatory for the diesels to run DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) which is another tank you have to keep filled with a urea based chemical (sold at walmart...) I had my Dad recently purchase a 2012 as he was on the fence and didn't want him to get stuck with that. Not that any of this is a huge issue but just one more thing to have to worry about...

Let us know what you are considering brand wise / price wise as it is harder to help with a vague description of you might be wanting a diesel...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #6

chevy= 06-07 with the LBZ considered the best years and the most expensive to buy used
ford = any year 7.3, 6.4 are ok stay away from any 6.0 unless it has totally deleted the EGR, know nothing about the new trucks,.
Dodge, any p pumped engine but they are loud only issue is the dowl pin.

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #7

You know what I always say the all have some kind of problem they were made by man. Just drive them all and make a decision. I personally am a ford man but on another note all my fords have cummins motors transplanted in them. You can't beat a 12v I-6 motor for reliability and the miles you get out of the motor.
Smitty3215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
chevy= 06-07 with the LBZ considered the best years and the most expensive to buy used
ford = any year 7.3, 6.4 are ok stay away from any 6.0 unless it has totally deleted the EGR, know nothing about the new trucks,.
Dodge, any p pumped engine but they are loud only issue is the dowl pin.
We bought a used 07 Chevy Silverado LTZ DRW with the Allison transmission. We chose the 07 because of the ability to change out the injectors individually. It was still an expensive truck, but not as bad as brand new. The previous owner took excellent care of the truck. It pulls our 40' 5er with no issues! I personally love driving the diesel more than our our other Chevy gas truck!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #9
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovetail View Post
Full disclosure: I know virtually nothing about Diesel engines.

But I am thinking maybe trading my Tundra for a diese.

Seems I have read some threads that suggest some years of diesels were not so good. Don't know if they were GM, Ford, or Dodge Ram, maybe some of each.

So the question is, which years, size and mfgr should I stay away from?lease

Thanks in advance for your thoughts
What is your budget? Are you pretty handy, willing to get your hands, arms and probably more dirty underneath? Do you want something that you just turn the key and go?

Diesel trucks are in general expensive. If a deal looks to good to be true, it almost always is. I really wanted a Dodge 5.9, but finding low mileage laramie models is impossible, and ended up in another Ford 6.0. Since I don't mind doing the work myself to make it a decent motor, I can live with it.

Your budget will determine what models/years you should focus on.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #10

Yup if you can fine a 06-07 lbz 360hp/650lb-ft with the 6 speed allison in my opinion on of the best used diesel combo.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
What is your budget? Are you pretty handy, willing to get your hands, arms and probably more dirty underneath? Do you want something that you just turn the key and go?

Diesel trucks are in general expensive. If a deal looks to good to be true, it almost always is. I really wanted a Dodge 5.9, but finding low mileage laramie models is impossible, and ended up in another Ford 6.0. Since I don't mind doing the work myself to make it a decent motor, I can live with it.

Your budget will determine what models/years you should focus on.
Don't have a firm budget. If I buy, would probably look at 30k or less. And then if things work like they usually seem to, spend more îq
At age 70, I no longer have much desire to crawl under vehicles to work on them. Have a great friend who owns an auto shop, lot easier to write a check.

The whole purpose of trading would be to move up to a heavier truck and if so,
Folks seem to be happier with the diesels. Planning a trip thru the western third of the states next year and know I am on the fringe with the Tundra.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:49 PM   #12
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post
We bought a used 07 Chevy Silverado LTZ DRW with the Allison transmission. We chose the 07 because of the ability to change out the injectors individually. It was still an expensive truck, but not as bad as brand new. The previous owner took excellent care of the truck. It pulls our 40' 5er with no issues! I personally love driving the diesel more than our our other Chevy gas truck!
X2. bought mine new from a fleet dealer and it is awesome. just passed 60k miles and figure it is only 25% worn out.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:11 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

The ford 7.3 is supposed to be bulletproof. The ford 6.0 is very problem ridden but a few have had good luck (multiple owners run away). The 6.4 is what I have it pulls very nicely but it is a smoker and goes into regeneration phase more frequently than it should. This is a known problem on the 6.4 but it is a liveable problem other than it will wear the engine out faster. If at a ford dealership looking at a ford truck ask for the service records on it. Can probably do the same with Chevy and dodge . ford truck enthusiasts and the diesel stop are great resources. One last thing, pay attention to payload stickers, I managed to get an f250 diesel with only 1500 lbs of payload.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
The ford 7.3 is supposed to be bulletproof. The ford 6.0 is very problem ridden but a few have had good luck (multiple owners run away). The 6.4 is what I have it pulls very nicely but it is a smoker and goes into regeneration phase more frequently than it should. This is a known problem on the 6.4 but it is a liveable problem other than it will wear the engine out faster. If at a ford dealership looking at a ford truck ask for the service records on it. Can probably do the same with Chevy and dodge . ford truck enthusiasts and the diesel stop are great resources. One last thing, pay attention to payload stickers, I managed to get an f250 diesel with only 1500 lbs of payload.
Your payload comment surprised me. Thought 250s were much higher.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

X2
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #16
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:

My old 91 F350 Dually had a 10k GVW and 11k tow rating. My old 87 F250 had a 8800 GVW. Both diesels with aftermarket turbos.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #17

My F-250 payload is 2,150 as a 4X4. Much higher payload capacity on the 4X2 models.

Highly recommend the 6.7L Ford engineered diesel in the 2011 through present day models. Ford threw out the old diesel manufacturer, Navistar, and started engineering in house in 2010. One heckuva engine.

We're all a bit biased here concerning brand loyalty. Do your research and test drive them all. Your decision will be easier and it will be your own...
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #18

Payload capacities for the 250 were pretty low until the last couple years but it has more to do with the SRW than 250/350.

My 06 250 SB has ~1900. Have to step up to a DRW in the 6.0/6.4 years to get anything above 3k.

jnamadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #19
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Don't have a firm budget. If I buy, would probably look at 30k or less. And then if things work like they usually seem to, spend more îq
At age 70, I no longer have much desire to crawl under vehicles to work on them. Have a great friend who owns an auto shop, lot easier to write a check.

The whole purpose of trading would be to move up to a heavier truck and if so,
Folks seem to be happier with the diesels. Planning a trip thru the western third of the states next year and know I am on the fringe with the Tundra.
At that price point you could probably find a good low mileage Dodge 5.9 without many options. The Dodge 6.7 is actually usually a bit less expensive as they do not get as good a mileage. Both are extremely durable and need little maintenance. I would probably lean toward the 6.7 motor just to get the 6 speed automatic transmission. It is a gem.

As for Ford - well that price point will get you any number of 08 up 6.4's but I would skip them and look for a 6.7 which I think puts you into the 2011 MY and most likely above that price point. As a 6.0 owner, just don't bother. I bought mine fully expecting to have to tear at least the top end of the motor out at some point. I enjoy that type of thing. For fun I think of way to remove the cab from the chassis in my own garage.

On Chevy - my experience is that you want an 2008 up model year to avoid the injector problems and finding a nice low mileage 08 up for 30K will be really difficult. I looked at a couple that were not low mileage and showed it, but were still in the 40K range. I actually laughed my way right off a dealer lot. People will pay anything for a specific badge on their truck.

Given what you currently have, and what you plan to use it for, I would actually strongly suggest you look at gas trucks. A 2500 Dodge with the HEMI will pull your trailer great, but will feal much more solid than your Toyota. Same for the F250 with the 6.2 motor (that thing should pull it great) and the GMC with their 6.2 engine as well. You could get yourself into a much newer truck for the budget you are working with and not have to worry about maintenance problems down the road.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #20

I'm going to agree with Jeeplj 100% on that^^... very well stated... Even with me being extremely biased toward Dodge, he hit that one perfectly! I would also agree that a 2500 Hemi would tow very nicely. The diesel will always put a smile on your face while you are towing but there are times I miss the quieter and smoother ride of my hemi. I have never once regretted buying a cummins but definitely miss the hemi.

For the $30k budget you could be looking at a brand new 2500 hemi in fact... which would be a huge bonus... again all depends on what your plans are...

random fact- every 1,000ft above sea level you climb you lose 3% of your horse power with a naturally aspirated (non forced air induction) ie at 10,000ft you would lose 30% of your horse power...

nicely put jeep!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote