Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #21
Camper Less Camping

I agree with others that if you have an RV within specs for a 3/4ton gasser & don't plan on going bigger...the 6.2L Ford & GM's would be a great buy.
If your wanting a used diesel, research/research/research before writing a check on one to make sure it's in great operating condition...IMO, I'd stay with the 6.4/6.7 Ford engines and 6.6L GM/Chevy from '04.5 on up (preferably 6 speed '06-'07 models) also, the Dodge 5.9's have a big fan base.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #22

THATS BECAUSE THE 5.9 CUMMINS IS THE BEST CUMMINS EVER!!!

way off topic... Ragin, how do you like that superglide hitch? We installed one for my father and he loves it! It does have some rocking in it partially because we had to install the 3 inch lift for clearance of the bed rails... other than the little bit of rocking he loves it!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #23
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
THATS BECAUSE THE 5.9 CUMMINS IS THE BEST CUMMINS EVER!!!

way off topic... Ragin, how do you like that superglide hitch? We installed one for my father and he loves it! It does have some rocking in it partially because we had to install the 3 inch lift for clearance of the bed rails... other than the little bit of rocking he loves it!
Not to hijack OP's thread too much...IMO, if you need a slider "Superglide" is the only option...absolutely wonderful hitch!!!

Old 06-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #24
Oklahoma Proud

[QUOTE="jeeplj8;403274"]

On Chevy - my experience is that you want an 2008 up model year to avoid the injector problems and finding a nice low mileage 08 up for 30K will be really difficult.

This was fixed after the first gen. Of the d-max that was replaced with the 2nd gen in 2004.5.

In our area you can find a lot of 2wd diesels cheap with low miles- because nobody really wants them. I think 4wd is a must in a diesel.
I think in the $30k range you should be able to find quite a few 4wd models with around 100k miles. Of course first gen d-maxs and ford 6.0 can be found for less than $20k and 6.4 fords are cheaper as well. I really dont know much on the dodges on price. Cummins has good engines, dodges auto trannys are notorius (and not in a good way) but thier interior seems to deteriorate a little quicker than most any brand of vehicle, but thats here in OK and we have rather extreme weather conditions, from last years 113°to -27° the year before.

That is my input. I've had a pwr stroke, d-max, and cummins ( in a semi, not a dodge)
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovetail View Post
Your payload comment surprised me. Thought 250s were much higher.
yes. I was surprised too. Many are much higher but not all and that is my point. Check the payload before buying. I didn't because I thought buying a diesel I was golden. NOT. at first I didn't believe the door sticker so I took a trip to the cat scales. With 3/4 tank of fuel and 2 adults in the the truck, it weighed in at 8460 lbs. It has a gvwr of 10,000 lbs. that leaves me with 1540 lbs payload but I still need to subtract another quarter tank of diesel off of that. Now granted I have a long bed, crew cab 4x4 lariat edition with spray in Bedliner and a soft tonneau cover. I also have the 36 gallon (or was it 35 gal?) fuel tank. we bought this truck with future upgrades in mind. Sad isn't it?
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #26
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
yes. I was surprised too. Many are much higher but not all and that is my point. Check the payload before buying. I didn't because I thought buying a diesel I was golden. NOT. at first I didn't believe the door sticker so I took a trip to the cat scales. With 3/4 tank of fuel and 2 adults in the the truck, it weighed in at 8460 lbs. It has a gvwr of 10,000 lbs. that leaves me with 1540 lbs payload but I still need to subtract another quarter tank of diesel off of that. Now granted I have a long bed, crew cab 4x4 lariat edition with spray in Bedliner and a soft tonneau cover. I also have the 36 gallon (or was it 35 gal?) fuel tank. we bought this truck with future upgrades in mind. Sad isn't it?
This is where numbers are a total PITA. Each and every configuration changes something and it is impossible to give people god advice without knowing exactly what you are comparing.

For example, my 05 F250 6.0 CC King Ranch short bed weighs in at 7300 pounds, giving me 2700 pounds payload.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
At that price point you could probably find a good low mileage Dodge 5.9 without many options. The Dodge 6.7 is actually usually a bit less expensive as they do not get as good a mileage. Both are extremely durable and need little maintenance. I would probably lean toward the 6.7 motor just to get the 6 speed automatic transmission. It is a gem.

As for Ford - well that price point will get you any number of 08 up 6.4's but I would skip them and look for a 6.7 which I think puts you into the 2011 MY and most likely above that price point. As a 6.0 owner, just don't bother. I bought mine fully expecting to have to tear at least the top end of the motor out at some point. I enjoy that type of thing. For fun I think of way to remove the cab from the chassis in my own garage.

On Chevy - my experience is that you want an 2008 up model year to avoid the injector problems and finding a nice low mileage 08 up for 30K will be really difficult. I looked at a couple that were not low mileage and showed it, but were still in the 40K range. I actually laughed my way right off a dealer lot. People will pay anything for a specific badge on their truck.

Given what you currently have, and what you plan to use it for, I would actually strongly suggest you look at gas trucks. A 2500 Dodge with the HEMI will pull your trailer great, but will feal much more solid than your Toyota. Same for the F250 with the 6.2 motor (that thing should pull it great) and the GMC with their 6.2 engine as well. You could get yourself into a much newer truck for the budget you are working with and not have to worry about maintenance problems down the road.
Jeep, Very Nice thanks. Especiallybthe comments on the gás engine. Thinkin you sabe me some money!
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #28
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnamadison View Post
Payload capacities for the 250 were pretty low until the last couple years but it has more to do with the SRW than 250/350.

My 06 250 SB has ~1900. Have to step up to a DRW in the 6.0/6.4 years to get anything above 3k.
thats true, I guess, but my payload capacity is FAR lower than my combined front and rear axle capacity added together. GVWR is 9200 and Combined AXLE is 10754. So with my 5er attached I still have 624 lbs to go in the rear, 470 in the front and am 460 OVER my GVWR. I am 5280 lbs under the GCWR also.

I assume it is the springs that are the controlling factor.

That is mystifing to me.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #29

About a year ago now. I found my 2012 F250 on Autotrader..it happened to be a XLT Supercab 6 3/4 ft box 4x2 diesel 6.7 ..It was a Ford Motor Company Executive vehicle.. (they drive them for 3 months or 3,000 miles and turn them in for another) Only dealers can buy theses at a Auction. Mine had 3,100 miles and cost me $33 ,000...i am very happy with it.. i buy DEF at flying j for aroundClick image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0608.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	33587 $2.80 a gallon and have used 5 gallons in 1 year.. I went to Florida and back this last winter...
Old 06-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #30

Any can have problems & will .....

I had 2 Ford diesels a 6.9 and a 7.3. The 7.3 was a great engine but.......I could not keep a transmission in it.... (My heaviest trailer at the time was 4500 lbs) but getting ready to put the third transmission at 112K was too much....

A few years later (After a gas hog Dodge RAM Hemi ) I found a 53K 2005 5.9 Cummins Duelly & it has been absolutely great had it going on 2 years would do it again it is only 2 wheel drive but that is no problem....... It has limited slip & goes where I want it to...........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #31
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Any can have problems & will .....

I had 2 Ford diesels a 6.9 and a 7.3. The 7.3 was a great engine but.......I could not keep a transmission in it.... (My heaviest trailer at the time was 4500 lbs) but getting ready to put the third transmission at 112K was too much....
You sound just like me. 3 transmissions myself on my 91.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #32

Dovetail, you have been given some great advice so far. I will give you a few more things to consider, I have had both Dodge and Chevy Diesels, as well as Chevy gas and have driven my share of Fords both gas and diesels at work and here are my thoughts and observations for what it is worth. My Dodge dually with a 5.9, great engine, 3 transmissions, less than luxurious interior and wind leaks galore, but a good truck, would pull a wal mart if you could get a chain around it, I put 273k miles on it, it was flat wore out, one set of injectors and regular maintanence and got a good dollar trading it for a Chevy. I currently have a 2013 2500 Chevy with the Duramax and Allison, I got it new at the end of October and it turned 25k today, I just scheduled my service for Friday, I must say it is the best, most luxurious truck I have ever owned. It is quite, drives like my wifes cadillac and makes me smile everytime I think about it. I just got back from towing 3500 miles with my 36' work and play and it is fabulous. I was loaded with a golf cart and a touring Harley and lots and lots of everything, I am guessing just over 10k# of trailer weight, I averaged 14.7 mpg figured on paper and I run 70 mph when I can, did I say I like this truck lol.

Anyway, back on topic, think long and hard on a diesel, everyone say's get one, consider a few things first.
1) how many miles do you drive yearly, I just figured when I traded, and I have all the records from previous maintanence etc. that for it to pay off with the additional costs my break even to have a diesel is about 35K miles per year, I currently do about 50K so it worked for me.

2) Diesels maintanence is less, but more lol, consider and oil change every 5K miles, this is a filter and any where from 2.5-3 gallons of oil,$60-$90 average.

3) Every other oil change add the fuel filter, another $40-$60, like you I don't crawl under them either lol

DEF , this cost varies with mileage and your type of driving, as your fuel consumption increses your DEF consumption increses, averages for me about 1 gallon every 1K miles, not a big deal but at 50K miles per year this translates to 50+ gallons of DEF @ roughly $3= an additional $150 in fuel costs, and I won't even mention that I paid $4.25 a gallon yesterday for diesel in N Florida,, ouch.

Also, as I have said many times, gas trucks nickel and dime you, diesels hundred and thousand dollar you !!!

If you dont drive alot, and I mean alot of miles a year and need the diesel for towing really consider your options, I love mine, but if and when I no longer require that type of vehicle for towing I will be back in a gasser.

No matter what you do, if you go used have your mechanic look it over, ask him straight out if he knows diesels other than service, if yes have him inspect it, if no take it to a reputable diesel shop not affiliated with the seller, diesel engine repair is very expensive, ie, the 5.9 cummins, the block is not sleeved, it is either pull the engine and bore if it has a cylinder problem, or buy a raman at roughly $10k, as said before, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.
thunderalley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #33

It would be hard to go back to a gas motor since I bought a diesel. Mine is only 1 yr old and I have 10,000k (3500 of it towing) and is my daily driver. Yes it is more expensive no matter how you look at it, but I tow at 65 mph and my tach stays at 1600 rpm in 6th gear and only downshifts on the bigger hills. It's like the motor is almost bored when it tows 8500#
Old 06-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderalley3 View Post
Dovetail, you have been given some great advice so far. I will give you a few more things to consider, I have had both Dodge and Chevy Diesels, as well as Chevy gas and have driven my share of Fords both gas and diesels at work and here are my thoughts and observations for what it is worth. My Dodge dually with a 5.9, great engine, 3 transmissions, less than luxurious interior and wind leaks galore, but a good truck, would pull a wal mart if you could get a chain around it, I put 273k miles on it, it was flat wore out, one set of injectors and regular maintanence and got a good dollar trading it for a Chevy. I currently have a 2013 2500 Chevy with the Duramax and Allison, I got it new at the end of October and it turned 25k today, I just scheduled my service for Friday, I must say it is the best, most luxurious truck I have ever owned. It is quite, drives like my wifes cadillac and makes me smile everytime I think about it. I just got back from towing 3500 miles with my 36' work and play and it is fabulous. I was loaded with a golf cart and a touring Harley and lots and lots of everything, I am guessing just over 10k# of trailer weight, I averaged 14.7 mpg figured on paper and I run 70 mph when I can, did I say I like this truck lol.

Anyway, back on topic, think long and hard on a diesel, everyone say's get one, consider a few things first.
1) how many miles do you drive yearly, I just figured when I traded, and I have all the records from previous maintanence etc. that for it to pay off with the additional costs my break even to have a diesel is about 35K miles per year, I currently do about 50K so it worked for me.

2) Diesels maintanence is less, but more lol, consider and oil change every 5K miles, this is a filter and any where from 2.5-3 gallons of oil,$60-$90 average.

3) Every other oil change add the fuel filter, another $40-$60, like you I don't crawl under them either lol

DEF , this cost varies with mileage and your type of driving, as your fuel consumption increses your DEF consumption increses, averages for me about 1 gallon every 1K miles, not a big deal but at 50K miles per year this translates to 50+ gallons of DEF @ roughly $3= an additional $150 in fuel costs, and I won't even mention that I paid $4.25 a gallon yesterday for diesel in N Florida,, ouch.

Also, as I have said many times, gas trucks nickel and dime you, diesels hundred and thousand dollar you !!!

If you dont drive alot, and I mean alot of miles a year and need the diesel for towing really consider your options, I love mine, but if and when I no longer require that type of vehicle for towing I will be back in a gasser.

No matter what you do, if you go used have your mechanic look it over, ask him straight out if he knows diesels other than service, if yes have him inspect it, if no take it to a reputable diesel shop not affiliated with the seller, diesel engine repair is very expensive, ie, the 5.9 cummins, the block is not sleeved, it is either pull the engine and bore if it has a cylinder problem, or buy a raman at roughly $10k, as said before, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.
Thunderalley, Thanks for those thoughts. Considering i drive the Tundra 15 to 20k a year, i certainly wont get to the breakeven you wrote about. This hás been a great read and pretty obvious that those that have tem love them. At
This point i need to have a beer and meditate for awhile. Maybe 2. Thanks to alo for your input. What a great fórum this is.
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #35
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post

I love the superglide to, BUT it is a whopping 215+ lbs of your payload.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:58 AM   #36

I have an opportunity to trade my 08 F150 SCREW for an 03 F250 7.3 L. They both book the same value and the dealer is open for a straight up trade if he likes my truck! Wish me luck!
JParcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #37

Good luck on the trade. How many miles on each?
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Good luck on the trade. How many miles on each?
My f150 has 73k and the 03 has 136k.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #39

Well I just traded my 08 F150 for an 05 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.9 L Cummins. This truck is absolutely cherry as the previous owner took wonderful care of it. It even came with Airbags. I'm averaging 21 mpg unloaded and around 15 towing our Tracer.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #40

Prove it!!! Pictures!!! Congrats btw

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote