Old 05-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardrive View Post
Thanks for all the replies; unfortunately the newest truck we can get right now is 2004 - 2006, saw some nice new ones at the auto show but $35K plus is out of our range right now.
I came to the same conclusion; I will probably exceed the CCC a little but not the GAWR or the Gross combined weight rating.
We won’t be looking at a bigger HTT any time soon, we went with the 23IKSS with the intent of getting our second trailer first, so far we love it, just can’t wait to get it out of the driveway.
We’ll have at least 4 people, me, wife and two sons 17 and 14.
I understand as i have a 99 silverado.. it does fine.. just try to get biggest motor and best rear end gears with tow package..trucks are getting expensive....

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Beware of false economy. It is your family we are talking about here.

You should always do your calculations with real numbers (worst case) and avoid wishful thinking. The 1/2 ton class of truck (like the 150/1500/Avalanche) has its uses, but towing needs careful thought due to the limited payload after your family is aboard. A 2000 pound payload quickly evaporates when you subtract family, hitch, spare fuel, and some gear.

As always, it will be your call. Stay safe and have fun.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #13
Moderators' Assistant

i have a 23SS, which is about 600lbs. less but has about the same tongue weight.
i tow it with an '07 Avalanche with the 5.3 engine, 4 spd trans and the 3.73 rear end that comes with the factory tow package.
its max tow capacity is 7200lbs.

i live in California and tow over many mountain ranges. it's just the DW and i.
i have plenty of towing power and never have felt underpowered.

that said, an Avalanche will be capable of towing it. having two teen boys will add weight and cargo but i think you'll be fine.
but if i were you, i would look at an Avy with the bigger engine, if you like the Avy. otherwise, a 1/2 truck will have more payload and more towing capacity, since the Avy is a heavy truck and that lowers payload and tow capacity.

since you live in Ohio and don't plan on getting a bigger trailer anytime soon, i think a 5.3/5.4/5.7 engine 1/2 truck WITH factory tow package, will be fine to tow the 23IKSS.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #14
Site Team

if you are looking in that year range what about a ford excursion? it is an SUV but worth it's weight in gold for towing. Also an older gasser 3/4 ton may not be unattainable size wise. Try it out and see how it feels.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrickim63 View Post

I agree.. wish i had a 2500 . Im maxed out and need a bigger truck before getting bigger tt. Just suggesting to get bigger than you need..for the next camper..
Excellent advice!

Wisconsin to Oklahoma and everywhere else I can eventually get to!
BarabooDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
if you are looking in that year range what about a ford excursion? it is an SUV but worth it's weight in gold for towing. Also an older gasser 3/4 ton may not be unattainable size wise. Try it out and see how it feels.
Ford Excursion could probably haul your house. In the back seat.......

But more to the point, a good rule I heard is not to haul more than 2/3 the rated weight capacity. I broke that using a Ford Explorer (v8 towing package) to haul our Flagstaff 27BHSS ultralight. Worked great for a couple years, until it ate the transmission in Missouri 2 yrs ago. Had to buy another truck during the trip, which was not fun! Looked at Excursions but didn't get as my wife thought was too big. But will probably wish we had when trying to haul over the Rockies some time! ( got an Expedition which is basically an F150 as far as towing goes, and does great for Midwest)

Wisconsin to Oklahoma and everywhere else I can eventually get to!
BarabooDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #17

Hi All,
Just wanted to provide an update and thank everyone for the suggestions/input. We ended up with a 2006 Ford 150 super crew Laredo with the 5.4 triton.
We took the trailer out over Memorial day and it towed great, no problems whatsoever maintained 60 – 65 and got almost 16 mpg and considering how windy it was that Friday not one problem with sway. I just have to get used to backing up into the camp site and the driveway. : )
Looking forward to more camping trips this summer.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #18
Site Team

glad to hear you got a good match. Practice backing in an empty parking lot. Try backing in a straight line between the rows. Get 4 cones to create a makeshift site (old sweatshirts would probably work in a pinch but you should be able to get some cheap sports cones at Walmart, dicks or play it again sports). start with an area 5 or 6 spaces wide to aim for backing the trailer into. Then slowly narrow that to 1-2 spaces wide. Practice with the site on the left and right. pull up and position yourself to the side of the lad the site is on (ie site is on our left you pull past the site with the rig on the left side of the road). Use Walkie talkies (or cell phones) to communicate and use drivers side/passenger side instead of left/right. It will come quicker than you may think.

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote