Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #1

buying new TV questions

DW and I are overwhelmed/confused trying to by a new (to us) TV for our Roo 23IKSS. The label on the trailer states the dry weight at 5048# and a CC of 1457#. So if we fully load the trailer we’re looking at about 6400# fully loaded.
The vehicles we’ve been looking at are the extended or crew cab F150’s and 1500 with the larger engines, DW likes the Avalanche also with the bigger engine. The tow capacity of these trucks easily will pull the trailer but the cargo capacity seems lacking with ME, DW and to sons in the cab added to the tongue weight. The truck will spend 85% of time not towing anything, and DW doesn’t want “some big behemoth sitting in the driveway for our 17 y.o. to drive”.
My question is what do I really need to be worried about, not exceeding the GCWR of the TV, the CC of the TV? I have spent countless hours on this site and RV.net as well as all the towing guides trying to figure out the best answer. With the available vehicles listed for sale on line.
Any help input would be very much appreciated, thanks
stardrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardrive View Post
DW and I are overwhelmed/confused trying to by a new (to us) TV for our Roo 23IKSS. The label on the trailer states the dry weight at 5048# and a CC of 1457#. So if we fully load the trailer we’re looking at about 6400# fully loaded.
The vehicles we’ve been looking at are the extended or crew cab F150’s and 1500 with the larger engines, DW likes the Avalanche also with the bigger engine. The tow capacity of these trucks easily will pull the trailer but the cargo capacity seems lacking with ME, DW and to sons in the cab added to the tongue weight. The truck will spend 85% of time not towing anything, and DW doesn’t want “some big behemoth sitting in the driveway for our 17 y.o. to drive”.
My question is what do I really need to be worried about, not exceeding the GCWR of the TV, the CC of the TV? I have spent countless hours on this site and RV.net as well as all the towing guides trying to figure out the best answer. With the available vehicles listed for sale on line.
Any help input would be very much appreciated, thanks
I would check the towing guides as a reference to help you know what to look for,before finding a truck that isnt properly equipped. Ex. Avalanche with a 5.3 l engine with 3.73 rear end might be enough. Then look at options that would increase tow capacity. Then you will know what to look for. I would opt for a 2500 or f250 if you can swing it.

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
Missing Link

You'll be fine with a 150 or 1500 with the heavy tow package. My crew silverado is rated to tow 9600 lbs and the 150's are rated a little higher.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclepuck View Post
You'll be fine with a 150 or 1500 with the heavy tow package. My crew silverado is rated to tow 9600 lbs and the 150's are rated a little higher.
I agree.. wish i had a 2500 . Im maxed out and need a bigger truck before getting bigger tt. Just suggesting to get bigger than you need..for the next camper..

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Old 05-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #5

Quote:
My question is what do I really need to be worried about, not exceeding the GCWR of the TV, the CC of the TV?
Good question. The answer is that you should not exceed ANY of the ratings. For RV towing, the one most likely to be exceeded is the Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC). If that's ok, look at GAWR-rear. (You'll likely be ok on the others.)
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Get the F150 ecoboost with max tow or a new tundra and you should be ok. I would also get a short bed with 4 door cab. It will give you seating space and not be too long.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
Get the F150 ecoboost with max tow or a new tundra and you should be ok. I would also get a short bed with 4 door cab. It will give you seating space and not be too long.
Maybe he'll never have more than 2 people in the truck!?!
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #8

I have a F150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost with 3.73 and max tow pkg. and its pay load is 1,970 lbs. and tow cap. is 11,500 lbs and boy does it tow nicely. It works for me because when i am not towing it gets pretty good gas milage 17 to 18 mpg and 10 to 11 mpg when I tow and like you said it isn't to big for my driveway
Old 05-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
Always Learning

stardrive- the biggest problem you'll come up against with a family of 4 (especially with teens and even more especially if any friends ride with y'all) is going to be the carrying capacity of the truck (also known as payload). From the payload, you have to subtract the driver's weight over 150 pounds, all occupants, all of the miscellaneous stuff in the truck, all of the add-one that make your truck yours (no matter how little- bed covers, toppers, tailgate assists, etc. and so on) and anything that you put into the bed of the truck. For me, my family and what we carry- that number alone came to 1,200 pounds! I was flabbergasted! I knew I was chunky, but dang! What's left over is what you can carry as tongue or pin weight.

Tongue weight for travel trailers is typically 10%-15% of your total weight. Pin weight for fifth wheels is typically 20%-25% of your camper's total weight.

Now- there are different schools of thought when it comes to ratings. There was a big thread here a couple of weeks back discussing ratings. The long and short of it came to be that most ratings are "lawyer" imposed by the truck manufacturers vs. actually the breaking point. But, at the end of the day- each driver had to make a decision to stay within their published ratings or choose to exceed them knowingly.

My school of thought is that all of the ratings matter and none should be exceeded. For those that choose to exceed ratings, they have decided to look almost solely at tire and (rear usually) axle ratings to not be exceeded.

IMO, do the math based on the gross weight of the camper. This is the weight that you should never exceed (and hopefully never reach).

But please- don't just look at a truck that advertises X,000 pounds of towing capacity. That is only achievable with a 150 pound drive and literally nothing else in/on the truck.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #10

Thanks for all the replies; unfortunately the newest truck we can get right now is 2004 - 2006, saw some nice new ones at the auto show but $35K plus is out of our range right now.
I came to the same conclusion; I will probably exceed the CCC a little but not the GAWR or the Gross combined weight rating.
We won’t be looking at a bigger HTT any time soon, we went with the 23IKSS with the intent of getting our second trailer first, so far we love it, just can’t wait to get it out of the driveway.
We’ll have at least 4 people, me, wife and two sons 17 and 14.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies; unfortunately the newest truck we can get right now is 2004 - 2006, saw some nice new ones at the auto show but $35K plus is out of our range right now.
I came to the same conclusion; I will probably exceed the CCC a little but not the GAWR or the Gross combined weight rating.
We won’t be looking at a bigger HTT any time soon, we went with the 23IKSS with the intent of getting our second trailer first, so far we love it, just can’t wait to get it out of the driveway.
We’ll have at least 4 people, me, wife and two sons 17 and 14.
I understand as i have a 99 silverado.. it does fine.. just try to get biggest motor and best rear end gears with tow package..trucks are getting expensive....

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Old 05-11-2013, 05:48 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Beware of false economy. It is your family we are talking about here.

You should always do your calculations with real numbers (worst case) and avoid wishful thinking. The 1/2 ton class of truck (like the 150/1500/Avalanche) has its uses, but towing needs careful thought due to the limited payload after your family is aboard. A 2000 pound payload quickly evaporates when you subtract family, hitch, spare fuel, and some gear.

As always, it will be your call. Stay safe and have fun.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #13
Site Team

i have a 23SS, which is about 600lbs. less but has about the same tongue weight.
i tow it with an '07 Avalanche with the 5.3 engine, 4 spd trans and the 3.73 rear end that comes with the factory tow package.
its max tow capacity is 7200lbs.

i live in California and tow over many mountain ranges. it's just the DW and i.
i have plenty of towing power and never have felt underpowered.

that said, an Avalanche will be capable of towing it. having two teen boys will add weight and cargo but i think you'll be fine.
but if i were you, i would look at an Avy with the bigger engine, if you like the Avy. otherwise, a 1/2 truck will have more payload and more towing capacity, since the Avy is a heavy truck and that lowers payload and tow capacity.

since you live in Ohio and don't plan on getting a bigger trailer anytime soon, i think a 5.3/5.4/5.7 engine 1/2 truck WITH factory tow package, will be fine to tow the 23IKSS.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

if you are looking in that year range what about a ford excursion? it is an SUV but worth it's weight in gold for towing. Also an older gasser 3/4 ton may not be unattainable size wise. Try it out and see how it feels.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrickim63 View Post

I agree.. wish i had a 2500 . Im maxed out and need a bigger truck before getting bigger tt. Just suggesting to get bigger than you need..for the next camper..
Excellent advice!

Wisconsin to Oklahoma and everywhere else I can eventually get to!
BarabooDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
if you are looking in that year range what about a ford excursion? it is an SUV but worth it's weight in gold for towing. Also an older gasser 3/4 ton may not be unattainable size wise. Try it out and see how it feels.
Ford Excursion could probably haul your house. In the back seat.......

But more to the point, a good rule I heard is not to haul more than 2/3 the rated weight capacity. I broke that using a Ford Explorer (v8 towing package) to haul our Flagstaff 27BHSS ultralight. Worked great for a couple years, until it ate the transmission in Missouri 2 yrs ago. Had to buy another truck during the trip, which was not fun! Looked at Excursions but didn't get as my wife thought was too big. But will probably wish we had when trying to haul over the Rockies some time! ( got an Expedition which is basically an F150 as far as towing goes, and does great for Midwest)

Wisconsin to Oklahoma and everywhere else I can eventually get to!
BarabooDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #17

Hi All,
Just wanted to provide an update and thank everyone for the suggestions/input. We ended up with a 2006 Ford 150 super crew Laredo with the 5.4 triton.
We took the trailer out over Memorial day and it towed great, no problems whatsoever maintained 60 – 65 and got almost 16 mpg and considering how windy it was that Friday not one problem with sway. I just have to get used to backing up into the camp site and the driveway. : )
Looking forward to more camping trips this summer.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

glad to hear you got a good match. Practice backing in an empty parking lot. Try backing in a straight line between the rows. Get 4 cones to create a makeshift site (old sweatshirts would probably work in a pinch but you should be able to get some cheap sports cones at Walmart, dicks or play it again sports). start with an area 5 or 6 spaces wide to aim for backing the trailer into. Then slowly narrow that to 1-2 spaces wide. Practice with the site on the left and right. pull up and position yourself to the side of the lad the site is on (ie site is on our left you pull past the site with the rig on the left side of the road). Use Walkie talkies (or cell phones) to communicate and use drivers side/passenger side instead of left/right. It will come quicker than you may think.