Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2016, 06:49 AM   #41

Good luck with your trailer.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:36 AM   #42
Ambassador

X2, I am no Truck snob, I do not think you need to run out and buy the biggest, baddest truck to pull a lil trailer like this normally. The truck you have I'm sure would be fine for a short haul of about 100 miles. If you were going to local parks etc... But, if you are planning a year long trip with that camper, that truck will probably give up the ghost pretty early in your trip. Towing that close to your max rating for that long of a period will just be to much. So invest in a great roadside assistance/auto warranty, or get a new truck, or get a smaller trailer. I would say for a trip of that duration you may want to look at getting a truck built specifically to haul so that you won't have any issues and will have a worry free trip. This may be the only time I have actually recommended upgrading to a super duty truck (a 250, or one of the 2500s), you may be able to get away with a ford f150 with eco-boost, or one of the Max Tow 150's. They may cost more up front, but you are getting ready to pay more than the difference in repair costs and then still need to upgrade. My advice is upgrade your truck, or get a smaller trailer, or maybe stick to your local area if it's flatish. If you live in the mountains you may not even be able to do that safely. Good Luck, have fun no matter what you decide.

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:49 AM   #43
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miagigirl View Post
Thanks, but we can't do both a truck and TT. We will not be working so we will have zero income. Everything will be done with the cash we have. We really like the rock wood mini lite. We will probably go buy that Monday.
As I said before, if your budget is limited, think about buying a used TT rather than new and put the money you'll save towards a truck upgrade. A brand new TT may have significant issues to resolve before you can strike out on your trip. You said you're going to tour the US and Canada so you won't be able to avoid the mountains. Your 4.6L will not do well in the mountains and I'd hate to see you end up with a major truck repair bill to deal with when you don't have an income. At the VERY least, make sure your truck has a transmission cooler.

Best of luck on your decision and your upcoming adventure. There are a few forum members on the same kind of adventure so you can read up on what they are experiencing and post updates on your own trip.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:11 AM   #44

Quote:
Thanks, but we can't do both a truck and TT. We will not be working so we will have zero income. Everything will be done with the cash we have. We really like the rock wood mini lite. We will probably go buy that Monday.

I had the Mini lite 2306 before my current TT. We loved it. If it were up to me, we'd still have it! But... Happy wife, happy life. And she's happy!
Old 07-16-2016, 06:16 PM   #45

I would just take it easy with truck, you will be fine. Sometimes you can go out of your way a little and miss the really steep mountains. There is a lot of people that's pulling to much camper and they get along fine, you can take it slow and still get there

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:40 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I would just take it easy with truck, you will be fine. Sometimes you can go out of your way a little and miss the really steep mountains. There is a lot of people that's pulling to much camper and they get along fine, you can take it slow and still get there

You apparently missed the "1 year trip around the US and Canada" part. It's not a 50-mile drive to the KOA three times a summer.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:54 PM   #47

It's also someone with little towing experience. Better to have some safety margin at first.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:02 PM   #48

I just sold a 2006 F-150 with a 4.6 and it was a gutless wonder when any trailer was hooked to it. Even my Stealth 6 x 12 all aluminum trailer with a 900 lb. bike in it.
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:34 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
You apparently missed the "1 year trip around the US and Canada" part. It's not a 50-mile drive to the KOA three times a summer.

I didn't miss it, I still say if you take it easy it will work out. You don't have to have a fifteen thousand pound camper. I see people all the time living full time in a small camper.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:09 AM   #50

Quote:

That's what I would do, it's fun camping and seeing what's around the next curve in the road. Have you given any thought to work camping? I think there is a website called workampers.com. Anyway I see lots of want adds on the road. You can put a shell camper on the bed of your truck, you should be able to find a used one cheap. It's just a thought now but if you want to upgrade your truck without buying a new one then sometime later on you can upgrade your engine at your local junk yard. They normally give six or twelve months warranty. But it's just a thought, I know what's it's like not to have enough money to do everything you like. Just take your time and have fun. I wish I had did what you are going to do. When you are young and the kids are little is the time of your life.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:38 AM   #51
Ambassador

Rockwood Minilites are an awesome choice.

Quote:
I have a Rockwood mini-lite 2502KS it has the dinette, sofa and a queen bed. I love this lil camper. I pulled it 10,000 miles in one year with my Toyota Tacoma with a 4.0 V6. It was slow going on the hills but be patient and you should be fine. Make sure you get a good break controller. One example is the Tekonsha P3. The harder you press the trucks brake pedal the more it activates the trailer brakes. It will keep that trailer behind you where it's supposed to be. Make sure you take your time on the walk though, these things are packed with features, and because of the frame construction you need to take extra care to always use your stabilizing jacks. If you're buying new make sure and check the wheel wells for exposed exterior wall plate ends. They should be covered and weather proofed. Lately some have had this problem. If water soaks in to the plate ends it could cause your wall to delaminate. That's a bad thing to have happen. Good Luck Happy Camping!!!

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:08 PM   #52

I have a 2009 ROO 21SS. It weighs 4450. The truth is that when you get out west at high elevation, your truck los
Old 07-17-2016, 04:10 PM   #53

I have a 21ss Roo that weighs 4450. Lots of room, and short to store. When you get out west at high altitude, your truck will lose 10% of its power, and then you'll hit an 8% grade. That's why you see so many diesel trucks, including mine.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:28 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
I have a 21ss Roo that weighs 4450. Lots of room, and short to store. When you get out west at high altitude, your truck will lose 10% of its power, and then you'll hit an 8% grade. That's why you see so many diesel trucks, including mine.

Take your time and enjoy your camping experience. I was just out west and all roads are not steep. All the trucks I saw were not diesel, just have fun

Old 07-17-2016, 04:35 PM   #55

I agree that the F150 w/4.6 is just not enough truck to pull a TT comfy enough to full-time in for a year. IMO you would be better off selling the truck & a getting another used/affordable truck with more towing & payload capability. If you sell & buy FSBO on Craigslist, etc. you might not be out that much cash. Then, instead of buying a new TT, buy a 2-3 year-old used TT to save the money spent on upgrading your truck.

For instance, in 2013 we found a 2 year-old 2011 Ram 2500 CC for $14,000 with a payload of 3,000 (must have high payload for full-timing...) & tow capacity over 9,000. When then found a 3 year-old 34' TT for $20,000 w/Equalizer 1200 WDH & we replaced the mattress & got new Maxxis tires (also important for full timing) - so about $35K invested altogether. If you could get $10K for your truck, you could do something similar for a net cost of $25K.

If you still have your jobs, you could also get a loan for your TT & make payments vs. paying cash up-front. Our TV payment is only $220 & TT payment $180. We pay double during non-camping months but only the minimum $400 when we are camping & spending (too much) money...

If it's just the 2 of you, I'd make sure get something with some comfy recliners for full-timing. The small TT you are looking at only has seating at the dinette which is not comfy at all. I can only sit in our dinette long-enough to eat & I'm done...

BTW our truck is not a diesel but it does fine hauling 15K GCVW throughout the Smoky Mountains. Yes, it will struggle out west but I'm not paying 10K more for a used diesel just to be the first to the top of the hill. I'm usually faster than gas motorhomes & 18 wheelers but not as fast as diesel motorhomes & tour buses. .
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:33 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rhino View Post
I agree that the F150 w/4.6 is just not enough truck to pull a TT comfy enough to full-time in for a year. IMO you would be better off selling the truck & a getting another used/affordable truck with more towing & payload capability. If you sell & buy FSBO on Craigslist, etc. you might not be out that much cash. Then, instead of buying a new TT, buy a 2-3 year-old used TT to save the money spent on upgrading your truck.

For instance, in 2013 we found a 2 year-old 2011 Ram 2500 CC for $14,000 with a payload of 3,000 (must have high payload for full-timing...) & tow capacity over 9,000. When then found a 3 year-old 34' TT for $20,000 w/Equalizer 1200 WDH & we replaced the mattress & got new Maxxis tires (also important for full timing) - so about $35K invested altogether. If you could get $10K for your truck, you could do something similar for a net cost of $25K.

If you still have your jobs, you could also get a loan for your TT & make payments vs. paying cash up-front. Our TV payment is only $220 & TT payment $180. We pay double during non-camping months but only the minimum $400 when we are camping & spending (too much) money...

If it's just the 2 of you, I'd make sure get something with some comfy recliners for full-timing. The small TT you are looking at only has seating at the dinette which is not comfy at all. I can only sit in our dinette long-enough to eat & I'm done...

BTW our truck is not a diesel but it does fine hauling 15K GCVW throughout the Smoky Mountains. Yes, it will struggle out west but I'm not paying 10K more for a used diesel just to be the first to the top of the hill. I'm usually faster than gas motorhomes & 18 wheelers but not as fast as diesel motorhomes & tour buses. .

I think the op said they could only afford the trailer and here you are talking about more debt. Me I could not sell ice water in the bad place, I'm not a salesman. I would not wait, I would go now and have fun. The op will have the rest of there life to get old and in debt

Old 07-17-2016, 07:12 PM   #57
Canadian Member

Miagigirl, can you please clarify something for this discussion. Are you looking to buy a brand new TT or used?

Rhino and I have both suggested that you can save a significant amount of money in your budget by buying a used TT rather than brand new and using those savings to upgrade your truck. The vast majority of posters are saying you really need a bigger truck to pull a 5000 pound TT on a year-long trek around the US and Canada.

If you can live full time in an R-Pod, your current F-150 will be fine for that. But if you have no experience living in small quarters you should rent a camper for a week to get a sense of what you'll need to be comfortable for a year.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:27 PM   #58
World Wide Wanderer

I have an '03 F150 4.6 V-8 with 3.55 rear end and factory tow package, we are rated to tow 6800# max. HOWEVER! You need to look at GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) and GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) numbers. The GVW is the base weight of the truck + the weight of any people an cargo + the tongue weight of the trailer. The GCWR is the total of the GVW plus the actual weight of the trailer you are towing. In my experience the maximum total trailer weight you are going to be able to handle under most conditions is going to be around 5,000# and that is under ideal conditions.

The 4.6 is a high reving engine and doesn't generate it's torque until you are well up into the power band. This is not the best scenario for trailer towing.

I don't know what your options are, but you need to take a very close look at what you plan to do. Weight on both trailers and trucks creeps up on you very quickly. I have friends that tow a Jay Flight 23? with an F-150 with the 5.0 engine and they have had to purge and reload when they discovered they were several hundred pounds over their GCWR as well as the GVW on the trailer. Now they weigh everything that goes into the trailer, before something new can be added they get rid of something old.

Good luck on your search! Full timing can be fun, but it should not be stressful.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:18 AM   #59

I'm going to stop my posts on this, some people on here think they are a commercial truck or something. Last time I looked a RV don't have to cross any scales. You pull what you want. Most people that I talk to at campgrounds that have Forest River products are not FROGS. I think this is probably one reason why. If you have a problem pulling something you will know about it soon enough and you won't need the weight police to tell you. My truck and fifth wheel will never be scaled, to pull anything but a toy would require a tank to pull it, or so the weight police on here would say. For gods sake just let the op have fun. All y'all want to do is scare the hell out of someone. If it was up to the weight police they would be the only ones camping, thank god it isn't up to them or I would have never started

Old 07-18-2016, 05:50 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I'm going to stop my posts on this, some people on here think they are a commercial truck or something. Last time I looked a RV don't have to cross any scales. You pull what you want. Most people that I talk to at campgrounds that have Forest River products are not FROGS. I think this is probably one reason why. If you have a problem pulling something you will know about it soon enough and you won't need the weight police to tell you. My truck and fifth wheel will never be scaled, to pull anything but a toy would require a tank to pull it, or so the weight police on here would say. For gods sake just let the op have fun. All y'all want to do is scare the hell out of someone. If it was up to the weight police they would be the only ones camping, thank god it isn't up to them or I would have never started

The OP asked the question because they wanted opinions. They don't have to be what they might want to hear, but maybe what they need to hear. Just because it doesn't match yours, doesn't make it wrong. I used to tow with a similar truck, and I couldn't imagine towing that weight all over the country. Could it be done, yes, but I wouldn't want to tour the country at over 4000 RPM.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote