Old 07-16-2016, 07:49 AM   #41

Good luck with your trailer.

42 nights camping in 2015
61 nights in 2016 (still not enough!)
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:36 AM   #42
Ambassador

X2, I am no Truck snob, I do not think you need to run out and buy the biggest, baddest truck to pull a lil trailer like this normally. The truck you have I'm sure would be fine for a short haul of about 100 miles. If you were going to local parks etc... But, if you are planning a year long trip with that camper, that truck will probably give up the ghost pretty early in your trip. Towing that close to your max rating for that long of a period will just be to much. So invest in a great roadside assistance/auto warranty, or get a new truck, or get a smaller trailer. I would say for a trip of that duration you may want to look at getting a truck built specifically to haul so that you won't have any issues and will have a worry free trip. This may be the only time I have actually recommended upgrading to a super duty truck (a 250, or one of the 2500s), you may be able to get away with a ford f150 with eco-boost, or one of the Max Tow 150's. They may cost more up front, but you are getting ready to pay more than the difference in repair costs and then still need to upgrade. My advice is upgrade your truck, or get a smaller trailer, or maybe stick to your local area if it's flatish. If you live in the mountains you may not even be able to do that safely. Good Luck, have fun no matter what you decide.

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:49 AM   #43
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miagigirl View Post
Thanks, but we can't do both a truck and TT. We will not be working so we will have zero income. Everything will be done with the cash we have. We really like the rock wood mini lite. We will probably go buy that Monday.
As I said before, if your budget is limited, think about buying a used TT rather than new and put the money you'll save towards a truck upgrade. A brand new TT may have significant issues to resolve before you can strike out on your trip. You said you're going to tour the US and Canada so you won't be able to avoid the mountains. Your 4.6L will not do well in the mountains and I'd hate to see you end up with a major truck repair bill to deal with when you don't have an income. At the VERY least, make sure your truck has a transmission cooler.

Best of luck on your decision and your upcoming adventure. There are a few forum members on the same kind of adventure so you can read up on what they are experiencing and post updates on your own trip.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:11 PM   #44

Quote:
Thanks, but we can't do both a truck and TT. We will not be working so we will have zero income. Everything will be done with the cash we have. We really like the rock wood mini lite. We will probably go buy that Monday.

I had the Mini lite 2306 before my current TT. We loved it. If it were up to me, we'd still have it! But... Happy wife, happy life. And she's happy!
Old 07-16-2016, 07:16 PM   #45

I would just take it easy with truck, you will be fine. Sometimes you can go out of your way a little and miss the really steep mountains. There is a lot of people that's pulling to much camper and they get along fine, you can take it slow and still get there

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:40 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I would just take it easy with truck, you will be fine. Sometimes you can go out of your way a little and miss the really steep mountains. There is a lot of people that's pulling to much camper and they get along fine, you can take it slow and still get there

You apparently missed the "1 year trip around the US and Canada" part. It's not a 50-mile drive to the KOA three times a summer.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:54 PM   #47

It's also someone with little towing experience. Better to have some safety margin at first.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:02 PM   #48

I just sold a 2006 F-150 with a 4.6 and it was a gutless wonder when any trailer was hooked to it. Even my Stealth 6 x 12 all aluminum trailer with a 900 lb. bike in it.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:34 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
You apparently missed the "1 year trip around the US and Canada" part. It's not a 50-mile drive to the KOA three times a summer.

I didn't miss it, I still say if you take it easy it will work out. You don't have to have a fifteen thousand pound camper. I see people all the time living full time in a small camper.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:09 AM   #50

Quote:

That's what I would do, it's fun camping and seeing what's around the next curve in the road. Have you given any thought to work camping? I think there is a website called workampers.com. Anyway I see lots of want adds on the road. You can put a shell camper on the bed of your truck, you should be able to find a used one cheap. It's just a thought now but if you want to upgrade your truck without buying a new one then sometime later on you can upgrade your engine at your local junk yard. They normally give six or twelve months warranty. But it's just a thought, I know what's it's like not to have enough money to do everything you like. Just take your time and have fun. I wish I had did what you are going to do. When you are young and the kids are little is the time of your life.