Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2016, 04:27 PM   #61
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I'm going to stop my posts on this, some people on here think they are a commercial truck or something. Last time I looked a RV don't have to cross any scales. You pull what you want. Most people that I talk to at campgrounds that have Forest River products are not FROGS. I think this is probably one reason why. If you have a problem pulling something you will know about it soon enough and you won't need the weight police to tell you. My truck and fifth wheel will never be scaled, to pull anything but a toy would require a tank to pull it, or so the weight police on here would say. For gods sake just let the op have fun. All y'all want to do is scare the hell out of someone. If it was up to the weight police they would be the only ones camping, thank god it isn't up to them or I would have never started

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
No you don't have to cross scales BUT you have to meet the letter of the law. Get in an accident with an overweight or unsafe rig and see what happens. I had two company trucks get heavily damaged in an accident in KY when someone with an overweight trailer and too light a truck lost control and crashed into them. Unfortunately they did not have enough insurance to cover the damage to our trucks. The lawyers are having a field day to say the least.

The OP had the good sense to come here and ask questions, some of us HAVE experience towing with a very similar truck and have given our experiences and opinions.

Also FWIW DMV enforcement CAN pull an RV over and weigh it if they choose.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:26 PM   #62

I have $500,000.00 each accident, I don't worry to much about that. How is anyone going to know I was overloaded, pick up all the the pieces and weigh them, I was born at night but it wasn't last night.

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:33 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
No you don't have to cross scales BUT you have to meet the letter of the law. Get in an accident with an overweight or unsafe rig and see what happens. I had two company trucks get heavily damaged in an accident in KY when someone with an overweight trailer and too light a truck lost control and crashed into them. Unfortunately they did not have enough insurance to cover the damage to our trucks. The lawyers are having a field day to say the least.

The OP had the good sense to come here and ask questions, some of us HAVE experience towing with a very similar truck and have given our experiences and opinions.

Also FWIW DMV enforcement CAN pull an RV over and weigh it if they choose.

Aaron

I have yet to see DMV pull any RV over for being overweight. DMV has better things to than check on rv's. I bet most people don't have enough weight on there license tags, most people just put the minimum weight on there trucks license. Who knows and who is going to check

Old 07-18-2016, 08:29 PM   #64
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Miagigirl, can you please clarify something for this discussion. Are you looking to buy a brand new TT or used?

Rhino and I have both suggested that you can save a significant amount of money in your budget by buying a used TT rather than brand new and using those savings to upgrade your truck. The vast majority of posters are saying you really need a bigger truck to pull a 5000 pound TT on a year-long trek around the US and Canada.

If you can live full time in an R-Pod, your current F-150 will be fine for that. But if you have no experience living in small quarters you should rent a camper for a week to get a sense of what you'll need to be comfortable for a year.
If you read all the posts you would know that they Decided on the Rockwood Mini Lite, and that They bought their Rockwood Mini-Lite today...I think the advice window is closed... Lets go camping

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:17 PM   #65
Ambassador

I am not taking a side, Spok123 has a valid point, the advice in this thread ranges from common sense, with anecdotal analysis to almost shrill authoritative linear logic. Either way I think Mia found her answer and has made a plan and has taken the steps to buy a Rockwood Mini Lite. I pulled one of these cross country with my 6 cyl Tacoma so I think the 4.6 V8 can a handle it as long as the set up is decent. FYI I never hit 4000 RPM towing it, well maybe once or twice merging from an acceleration lane on the expressway. But I also did that without the trailer... lol. Let's go Camping!!!

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:35 PM   #66
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken K. View Post
If you read all the posts you would know that they Decided on the Rockwood Mini Lite, and that They bought their Rockwood Mini-Lite today...I think the advice window is closed... Lets go camping
To be precise, in post #39 on Saturday, the OP said, "We will probably go buy that Monday." So, unless she returns we'll never know if they went ahead and purchased a Mini Lite or anything else.

I agree that this thread has run its course unless the OP comes back.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:10 PM   #67
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I have yet to see DMV pull any RV over for being overweight. DMV has better things to than check on rv's. I bet most people don't have enough weight on there license tags, most people just put the minimum weight on there trucks license. Who knows and who is going to check

I have in VA, GA and TX. YMMV

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:31 AM   #68

Okay everyone, just an update... We bought a 2013 Coleman Dutchman. It will weigh 5800 when we load it. We will not be hauling full tanks of water or any unnecessary crap. We are getting a transmission cooler and we will take it easy. We do have a trip planned with all of our stops, but we do have a year planned and if we aren't finished in a year, we will be finished when we finish. We bought it a year in advance so that we can do plenty of trips before we go so we can work out the kinks. Although we do not want to have to buy a new vehicle, this year will definitely tell us if that will be necessary. If so, we will take action. Thanks again for ALL your opinions and taking time out of your day to help us out. We are so excited. First trip to laughlin in 2 weeks. There will be some decent hills and a bit of straight always so I'll let you know how old Nelly did towing our new home away from home. Cheers!
miagigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:32 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by miagigirl View Post
Okay everyone, just an update... We bought a 2013 Coleman Dutchman. It will weigh 5800 when we load it. We will not be hauling full tanks of water or any unnecessary crap. We are getting a transmission cooler and we will take it easy. We do have a trip planned with all of our stops, but we do have a year planned and if we aren't finished in a year, we will be finished when we finish. We bought it a year in advance so that we can do plenty of trips before we go so we can work out the kinks. Although we do not want to have to buy a new vehicle, this year will definitely tell us if that will be necessary. If so, we will take action. Thanks again for ALL your opinions and taking time out of your day to help us out. We are so excited. First trip to laughlin in 2 weeks. There will be some decent hills and a bit of straight always so I'll let you know how old Nelly did towing our new home away from home. Cheers!
OK,on here as well as the other Post you made about the "Generator" it will Really HELP if you supply Complete Info about your RV ! Just saying "2013 Coleman Dutchman" is NOT enough INFO! In order for Us to supply "Helpful Info" you must supply something to work with! Youroo!!
Old 07-20-2016, 06:24 AM   #70

Have fun and enjoy your trip. If you have any problems with your new camper to you then please ask, the only dumb question asked is one you don't ask.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:26 AM   #71
Canadian Member

Need pictures, too!
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote