Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2019, 10:07 AM   #1

Calling All Dually Owners - Part 2

I picked up the new to me '17 dually last night. Only has 34k miles on it. Coming from the 6.2 gas w/ 4.30 gears, the power in this thing compared to my old truck is hilarious. I've never owned a diesel before so I'm just reaching out and asking for any tips/ tricks that are diesel/dually related or if there are any must have tools that should be kept in the truck that at some point I'll be glad I have. And of course the dealer didn't bother making sure the tires had the correct psi so I'll be learning how to fill the back tires real quick lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190918_110358.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	215291  
rather_b_camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:33 AM   #2

Congratulations, you will love it. Ours has 13,000+ miles with 12,200 towing. Nothing but FUEL, changed the oil and DEF.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:34 AM   #3
Always Learning

First, congrats!

Second, truck pumps are love. Faster fill-up and easy in/out when towing:
https://learntorv.com/diesel-fill-up...e-a-great-bet/

And lastly, yes- you'll need an air chuck with 2 ends on it. My preferred one has a straight end and a reversed one. After that, the Viair 450P does a great job filling the tires:
https://learntorv.com/product-review...ir-compressor/
Old 09-18-2019, 12:53 PM   #4

Agreed with ependydad on the tire inflator. You will also want a tire gauge with the same feet.

Don't know what kind of rear hub caps you have on there but the ones on my King Ranch are a PIB to get off. Bring a ratchet strap and a 2x4 that's long enough to rest on the tire with you always.

I place the board on the tire and hook both ends onto the sides of the hubcap then use the ratchet to pull off the cap.

Maybe they've improved on that in the past 10 years IDK.

Also, forget about an automatic car wash.. they don't exist for your truck.. :-(
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:16 PM   #5

I put these "Phoenix USA AML1 Air Inflation Kit" from Amazon on my rear tires. They have worked well for 3 years now. Simple to check pressure and to change pressure if you are like me and run different pressures loaded or empty/
Old 09-18-2019, 02:04 PM   #6

Always use “Tow Haul” and your exhaust brake.
Lube your 5Th wheel plate.
Tiger Force Medic, 68/69
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:29 PM   #7

Calling all, Dually Owners - Part 2

Something else I like to carry on board is a decent floor jack and an impact wrench. I've had five trailer tire blow-outs in nine years. I started carrying the floor jack in the bed of my truck and keep the impact wrench under the back seat of my dually. Believe me, those two things are worth having when you are on the side of a road and not wanting to sit there waiting on tire changing service. I also started carrying two trailer spares because I was a bit nervous continuing on my journey after changing a flat. You never know where it will happen and how close it is to pick up a new spare. Fortunately for me, on one of those trips - I did have to use both spares. I replaced all four tires when I got to the next town, over a hundred miles away. It just gives me peace of mind to have the extra tire, jack, and impact wrench.
John Hendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:37 PM   #8

Dually's are the way to go especially with a diesel. We invested in an Aluminum 100 gallon fuel tank for the bed. It saves us from stopping often to fill up pulling the 5th wheel. We just pull into a Rest Area and fill up. Just be sure to add in line water filters. Great investment...Good Luck!
Ed Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:01 PM   #9

Carry an extra water seperator plug. They break.
HC3Z-9J305-A]2017-18 FORD FUEL FILTER HOUSING DRAIN PLUG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rather_b_camping View Post
I picked up the new to me '17 dually last night. Only has 34k miles on it. Coming from the 6.2 gas w/ 4.30 gears, the power in this thing compared to my old truck is hilarious. I've never owned a diesel before so I'm just reaching out and asking for any tips/ tricks that are diesel/dually related or if there are any must have tools that should be kept in the truck that at some point I'll be glad I have. And of course the dealer didn't bother making sure the tires had the correct psi so I'll be learning how to fill the back tires real quick lol.

My first
kho6658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:17 PM   #10

If you buy new tires or rotate old ones, ask the service person to line up the inner rear valve stems with holes in your outer wheels. Makes checking and filling air pressure much easier.
Lt Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:29 PM   #11

Valve extensions can leak. Solid Dually Valves are a good option, but they will limit tire rotations to side to side only
https://www.amazon.com/Accu-Pressure...=Accu-Pressure
Firebird Tire in Phoenix, AZ does custom valves.
TPMS is a must for truck and trailer
A VIAIR RV air compressor and tire plug kit
Valve cap and core remover https://www.amazon.com/Ken-Tool-KEN2.../dp/B00X19P96W
12 ton bottle jack with welded spring perch on top
A Telescoping Power Lug Wrench (lug nuts are 150 psi torque) https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Autom...8848575&sr=8-5
My 1/2 inch 12 volt impact driver will not remove these.
Tow strap, reflective vest, LED flares, warning triangles,
lhuff35204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Agreed with ependydad on the tire inflator. You will also want a tire gauge with the same feet.

Don't know what kind of rear hub caps you have on there but the ones on my King Ranch are a PIB to get off. Bring a ratchet strap and a 2x4 that's long enough to rest on the tire with you always.

I place the board on the tire and hook both ends onto the sides of the hubcap then use the ratchet to pull off the cap.

Maybe they've improved on that in the past 10 years IDK.

Also, forget about an automatic car wash.. they don't exist for your truck.. :-(
I have a 2019 and still need the board and strap with trimmed hooks to get the caps off,
Old 09-25-2019, 07:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Always use “Tow Haul” and your exhaust brake.
This

Also may as well start planning on going to 19.5 tires.....you can then get commercial tires that'll outlast your stock tires by almost double.....congrats & GL
Old 09-25-2019, 07:39 PM   #14

Only thing I can add is this:

When fueling, especially for the first 4 years, stand in front of the pump and look at it. For a LOOONNNGGG time. Make sure it is diesel. PROBABLY have a green handle (but BP has green handles for gas sometimes!). Then, BEFORE you pull out the green pump handle, stand there some more.

Are you sure it's diesel?

Think. Slow down. LOOK CLOSELY.

(You with me??? LOL)

Then when you fire up the pump, make SURE the diesel numbers are what come up on the display.

Cause, if you make a mistake, life as you know it will end, aliens will land, you'll be arrested (for subsequent actions, no doubt), and you'll cry.

And even after years, and after being SURE of what I'm doing, I do it slowly. It's just too expensive to mess up.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Only thing I can add is this:

When fueling, especially for the first 4 years, stand in front of the pump and look at it. For a LOOONNNGGG time. Make sure it is diesel. PROBABLY have a green handle (but BP has green handles for gas sometimes!). Then, BEFORE you pull out the green pump handle, stand there some more.

Think. Slow down. LOOK CLOSELY.

(You with me??? LOL)

Then when you fire up the pump, make SURE the diesel numbers are what come up on the display.

Cause, if you make a mistake, life as you know it will end, aliens will land, you'll be arrested (for subsequent actions, no doubt), and you'll cry.

And even after years, and after being SURE of what I'm doing, I do it slowly. It's just too expensive to mess up.

Great message!
Here in NJ WAWA a local gas & convenient store just combined the diesel lane with gas.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:22 PM   #16

Install a good tpms. I use the EezTire brand tire pressure and temperature model with sensors on all my truck tires and all four camper tires. The best insurance you can have against tire failure and major subsequent body damage.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
Install a good tpms. I use the EezTire brand tire pressure and temperature model with sensors on all my truck tires and all four camper tires. The best insurance you can have against tire failure and major subsequent body damage.

I believe all the new Fords come with TPMS for the truck and an option to monitor the trailer tires.

https://owner.ford.com/support/how-t...ng-system.html
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:43 PM   #18

My ram 3500 has tps
Old 09-25-2019, 10:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Jim View Post
If you buy new tires or rotate old ones, ask the service person to line up the inner rear valve stems with holes in your outer wheels. Makes checking and filling air pressure much easier.
I you need to do this you bought your tires at the wrong shop.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:46 AM   #20

Quote:
After spending the weekend boating n fishing....we were scheduled to return home the next day about a 3 hour ride.......decided to top off the truck before hooking up the boat.

Pulled up to green handled pump and proceeded to fill the truck....i had left it idling and it only had 5000 miles on it.

Walked back inside to pick up some things when I noticed all the pumps were green...doubled checked my pump and yes it was gas....all 12 gal I just pumped....now what?

Drove back to the motel did some internet research....not much help..suggestions ran from towing to shop, dropping tank, change filters to just keep driving it.

Tried to syphon as much out as I could but only managed 2-3 gl (think they put anti-syphon devices on nowadays) drove back and replaced that with diesel and also poured in 3 qt of 2 cycle oil.

Next day with boat hooked up drove for an hour the refilled the truck....drove another hour and refilled again...the third hour got me home and another fill up.

Truck appeared to run just fine the whole way.

8 years later and 130,000 miles and its still running fine...I've never had an issue with it.