Old 01-13-2014, 07:43 AM   #21

I have a pull rite. Love it, no thinking involved. (will I make it) As far as weight, I'm luckey, I either use a overhead hoist in my garage, or the small bucket on my tractor. If I did'nt have either of them, I would consider making a portable stand to place at the back of truck, and just slide the hitch in and out of the bed. Once the hitch is out, pop off the rails and pins and your left with a clean bed. Piece of mind. FWIW
Paul

"DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER'
"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
2013 F350 Dually 6.7 Diesel
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
I have a pull rite. Love it, no thinking involved. (will I make it) As far as weight, I'm luckey, I either use a overhead hoist in my garage, or the small bucket on my tractor. If I did'nt have either of them, I would consider making a portable stand to place at the back of truck, and just slide the hitch in and out of the bed. Once the hitch is out, pop off the rails and pins and your left with a clean bed. Piece of mind. FWIW
Paul
Glad you don't have to think about anything while towing you 5er now that you have your slider.

2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:02 AM   #23

With the mid size box you have, I would consider the fixed hitch and sidewinder pinbox.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
Glad you don't have to think about anything while towing you 5er now that you have your slider.
I qualified my statement by saying "will I make it" .
I have noticed alot of responses on this and other forms of public discource where people read but don't understand what is being said. Kind of like someone hearing someone speak but not listening to what they say.
" A man should look for what is and not what he thinks should be"Albert Einstien

But thanks for your observation..

"DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER'
"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
2013 F350 Dually 6.7 Diesel
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:57 AM   #25

Quote:

Well put..

I bought and installed a superglide 1. not sure if the 5er would hit my cab. 2. found one for 500.00 off craigslist and it looked brand new and included everything but the bolts. If the 5er would get close I did not want to have to get out and pull some lever even when driving down the road and making a sharp turn (which I have to do many times). Yes it is heavy but the chain hoist takes care of that.. my fatherinlaw and brother have the same truck as me 2500HD they both have non sliders, the father in law tows all over the U.S. and his cap is not rounded and he has to really watch his turning, Brother has taken his window out 1 time with his raptor toy hauler, but it was his first pull and dont think he knew the limits because he is not too bright

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #26

I purchased my Reese Elite 18K slider in April in a package deal when I bought my 5er and was able to get the hitch at nearly dealer cost. I know this because I negotiated the hitch AFTER I negotiated the price of the trailer. Never used it YET, glad I have it, and grease the rails every 4-6 weeks. A great insurance policy when you accidentally get into those tight situations. I haven't removed the hitch from the bed as I use the truck primarily for towing. The head comes off easily and I've had it off several times to lubricate.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Ada, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:46 PM   #27

Quote:
I qualified my statement by saying "will I make it" .
I have noticed alot of responses on this and other forms of public discource where people read but don't understand what is being said. Kind of like someone hearing someone speak but not listening to what they say.
" A man should look for what is and not what he thinks should be"Albert Einstien

So now that you have your slider you don't ever think "will it make it"?

Just being observant.

All I'm saying is that with the new front's on these 5ers, if you cut sharp enough to get the cab into it then even with a slider you are going to have to pull up because the truck will not recover quick enough to straighten back out. With a non-sliding hit you just have to pull up sooner but 90% of the time the truck will recover. you just have to know the limits.
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:58 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

I've towed the Rockwood with two different tow short bed vehicles. The first thing I did on both was to head to a mall parking lot and see how much clearance I had between the truck and the camper while at full steering lock going forward. In both cases I had lots of clearance, though that's on level ground. The Rockwood front cap isn't as rounded on the corners as the newer 5vers. I'd be very surprised that a new 5ver would come close to the cab of any truck with a 6 1/2' bed going forward. But's why we have choices...it's like insurance...buy as much as you think you need.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:10 PM   #29

I pulled the trigger on a Fixed R16 hitch. I just dont need anymore weight that I'll "Probably" never have to use. The other problem is I do alot of Beach camping and everything gets sandy. So greasing the rails all the time would be a project. If I find I am uncomfortable without the slider Ill add the slider kit to the hitch later. But Im sure If it takes me a few attempts at a turn to not damage anything than Ill deal with it. Ill let you all know how I make out!
Old 01-15-2014, 10:14 PM   #30
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
It won't be long before someone comes out with a slider receiver for travel trailer so they can get 90* too....... LOL!

Already done! Both of the high dollar TT hitches (Hensley and PP3) will let you pretty much do 90 degree turns.

I too have heard from a bunch of people who said not to waste money or weight on a slider, all basically said same thing, keep a few steps ahead of the rig so that you don't paint yourself into a corner that only a slider can get you out of. I am thinking as long as you don't daydream into a dead end street because your GPS told you to go that way you should be okay... LOL
Driving a 35' TT makes you very aware of where you are going as well, and you certainly can not do a 90 degree turn with them either. (unless you have one of the high dollar hitches)

Tags
hitch