Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2014, 05:51 AM   #1

Can I buy this ?? Flagstaff 831FLSS

Ok I know I am asking a question that has probably been asked before, but I am totally confused; We have been going back and forth on 2 different trailers to purchase a 83FLSS and a 27RLWS, our goal is to spend 4 months a year in Florida at one RV park. I have a 2013 GMC Sierra 5.3 L extended cab 2 wheel drive p/u with the heavy duty trailering package. The trailer towing guide says I can pull up to 9700 pounds. The trailer we want has a dry weight of 6985 lbs. I know there is some formula to figure all this out, but I get even more confused with that. The trailer dealer says I will have no problem ( they want to sell a trailer) What in real world of pulling is the answer? We have another 24 hours left on our deposit to make this final decision? We will only pull this trailer twice a year from Michigan to Florida and back. Buying a new truck is not an option at this point in our retirement right now. If I cannot pull this we could save a about 800 pounds by moving to the smaller 27RLWS which has a awesome floor plan but is a bit smaller for 4 month extended camping. What a dilemma I am not sleeping trying to figure this out. Also the dealer did recommend that I get the equalizer 4 point hitch.
smkunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:15 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

What is the GVWR of the 83FLSS?

Multiply that times 0.125 and that is the tongue weight you should target as worst case on the truck.

Make sure with the family and gear you plan to carry in the bed of the truck (spare gas, bikes, leveling wood, etc) and with a full tank of gas weigh the truck alone at the local CAT scale.

Add that weight, plus 75 pounds for the WD hitch and the number you got from the worst case above.

Subtract from the GVWR of the truck (found on the door pillar) and if the result is positive, you should be fine. Negative, you need to put the truck on a diet.

Also make sure the truck's frame hitch (and the WD hitch you select) is rated for the number you got for the camper's tongue weight above and GVWR as well.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

In most cases, it comes down to payload. Look at your door sticker on your truck for the available payload. (It might say something like "total weight of passengers and cargo not to exceed"). From that, subtract the weight of the passengers (I.e. You, wife, pets, etc...). Whatever you have left is what you can handle for tongue weight.

For tongue weight, take a look at the dry tongue weight of the camper first and see if you're already over. If not, then yes, you can tow it. The amount you have left will dictate how much gear you can bring.

Note that the weight of the equalizer, propane and batteries will be the first the chew through that so if possible, see if the dealer can weigh the tongue with those on to give a better number than just the dry.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:20 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

OK, I found (calculated) the GVWR of your camper:

The GVWR is 8550 pounds.

The tongue weight you need to worry about is 1070 pounds.

Can your truck's receiver hitch handle a tongue weight of 1100 pounds?

Can your truck carry your family, truck gear, hitch, and an 1100 pound tongue weight?

If the answer to both is yes and the tow rating on YOUR truck is correct for your engine/rear end ratio/equipment (9700) you should be fine.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:29 AM   #5

If these are the correct 2:
Flagstaff Classic Super Lite Travel Trailer by Forest River
&
Flagstaff Super Lite Travel Trailer by Forest River

does this match your truck:
  • Engine: Vortec 5.3L V8
  • Transmission: MYC
  • Axle Ratio: 3.42
  • Max Trailer Weight kg (lb)
  • Ball Hitch: 4400 (9700) (required equipment: K5L)
  • Fifth Wheel: 4264 (9400) (required equipment: K5L)
  • GCWR Kg (lb): 7258 (15000)

As no GVW is provided for the trailer on the website I would get them from the Yellow sticker on the trailers in question - note the unloaded weight + cargo capacity may give you the same number unless line changes were made that alter the web numbers vs. the production line numbers.

Use the steps provided by Herk for your heaviest scenario

Old 06-17-2014, 06:29 AM   #6
Canadian Member

Smkunder, there are 2 ways to look at this..... by the numbers and by the seat of your pants.

If you want to know by the numbers you can be objective. I would focus on the payload numbers since that is always the weakest point for towing with a half ton.

I agree with Herk. Take the GVWR of the trailer and assume 12-13% for the tongue weight. Do not use brochure dry weights.

If you want to go with what "feels" OK, then we can't really offer anything more than an opinion as what feels OK to you is subjective and depends on your experience towing a 30'+ trailer.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:39 AM   #7

Ok I verified that the hitch can pull 1100 pounds tongue with weight dist. hitch My truck says it has a GCWR of 15000 pounds. So using the formula worst case scenario would put me over by about 70 pounds if I did the math right. Also is it safe to assume that to get that trailer to the max weight would take about 1585 pounds fully loaded. I think I would be hard pressed to add that much weight as I will not be traveling with water on board just our clothes dishes etc. Am I just wishing here or is this something that can be done safely twice a year.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Smkunder, there are 2 ways to look at this..... by the numbers and by the seat of your pants.

If you want to know by the numbers you can be objective. I would focus on the payload numbers since that is always the weakest point for towing with a half ton.

I agree with Herk. Take the GVWR of the trailer and assume 12-13% for the tongue weight. Do not use brochure dry weights.

If you want to go with what "feels" OK, then we can't really offer anything more than an opinion as what feels OK to you is subjective and depends on your experience towing a 30'+ trailer.
I guess a opinion would be greatly appreciated at this point as I got the dealer to give a day or too to give me my deposit back if it would not work.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:49 AM   #9

other than suggesting a few (dozen) local camping trips before your long haul to get use to the trailer and towing etc. I am guessing both trailers will be within safe specs if you keep an eye on the weight when packing
Old 06-17-2014, 07:01 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz View Post
Inote the unloaded weight + cargo capacity may give you the same number unless line changes were made that alter the web numbers vs. the production line numbers.

That was how I "calculated" the GVWR.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz View Post
If these are the correct 2:
Flagstaff Classic Super Lite Travel Trailer by Forest River
&
Flagstaff Super Lite Travel Trailer by Forest River

does this match your truck:
  • Engine: Vortec 5.3L V8
  • Transmission: MYC
  • Axle Ratio: 3.42
  • Max Trailer Weight kg (lb)
  • Ball Hitch: 4400 (9700) (required equipment: K5L)
  • Fifth Wheel: 4264 (9400) (required equipment: K5L)
  • GCWR Kg (lb): 7258 (15000)

As no GVW is provided for the trailer on the website I would get them from the Yellow sticker on the trailers in question - note the unloaded weight + cargo capacity may give you the same number unless line changes were made that alter the web numbers vs. the production line numbers.

The above quote is exactly the two trailers and my truck. I am so close to meeting specs, but I want to be safe also. Thanks for all the help. I guess I have to figure out if I want to be that close to the edge. This is really difficult as the heavier trailer is the one that would best meet our needs for extended camping, but the lighter trailer gives me about a 600 pounds margin of error if I were to max everything out.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:06 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkunder View Post
Also is it safe to assume that to get that trailer to the max weight would take about 1585 pounds fully loaded. I think I would be hard pressed to add that much weight as I will not be traveling with water on board just our clothes dishes etc. Am I just wishing here or is this something that can be done safely twice a year.
LOL - NEVER safe to assume anything.

My camper has an "available payload" of 1900 pounds and I am forever worried about what to take and what to leave behind (and we also don't carry more than a few toilet flushes worth of water in the tank).

Once you start modifying the camper (and you will!) those "available pounds" will start rapidly unrolling.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:14 AM   #13

My wife probably will not be happy with me but the math indicated with the heavier trailer that I am too close to that ragged edge.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:21 AM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
My wife probably will not be happy with me but the math indicated with the heavier trailer that I am too close to that ragged edge.
OK, personal advice (free and worth every penny you paid).

Buy the camper you need and if it turns out you don't have enough truck; get the right truck. You will most likely keep the camper through several tow vehicles in any case.

If you make a compromise on the camper, and she is not happy, you will need to replace BOTH (hopefully not the DW).

Happy Wife; Happy Life.

Truer words were never spoken.
(just wish I could take credit)
Old 06-17-2014, 07:35 AM   #15

Lou, you speak some great words, when I just mentioned to the wife that I am thinking of canceling this trailer it was like I dropped a bomb in the room. Just wondering if there are ways to lighten the load, maybe 20 pound propane instead of thirty, empty tanks water and propane. The jump form a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 is a huge amount of money for us at this time so we probably would have to make at least one trip to Florida with our existing rig, I don't not mind go slower, because I have time, I just do not want to be unsafe or damage my vehicle. Nor do I want it to be a white knuckle experience.

Steve
Old 06-17-2014, 07:42 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Fyi.
People "say" they pack "light" but in reality average "user" added items to a camper is #1000 +

You may say that silly but I challenge anybody that thinks that to weigh everything that goes in your camp "and truck"

Tools
Leveling boards / chocks
Extension cords
Chairs
Pet food
Bedding / pillows
Clothes
Shoes / boots
Toiletries/ hair dryers /curling irons / hair spray etc etc
Cleaning supplies
Bath Towels / rags
Dishes/plates/cups/silverware / pots / pans / griddles / coffee maker / toaster / dish rags / towels
Bug repellents / sun screen
Food /milk /steaks /pop water beer
Coolers/ ice / liquor
Firewood extra tv ' s / dvd's / Cd's
Stabilizer pads
Wh full of water
Bag boards
Portable grill
Bikes
Passengers
Dogs / cats
Books
Portable radios
Hammock
Portable fans
Games / puzzles
Cooking tri pod
Axe
Generator
Lanterns / lantern gas
Flash lights
Water hose
Sewer hose
WDH hitch and sway items

See what I mean?

Now as herk mentioned "modifications"

Jack stabilizers
Remote power awning
Add on battery / cables
Battery tenders
Remote water filter
Water regulator
Surge guard portable or hardwired
Satellite and receiver
Max air vent covers
Awning hold down poles
Awning lights led or otherwise
Slide out toppers
Step support
Towel dryer

I think the point is made lol!

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:00 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Fyi.
People "say" they pack "light" but in reality average "user" added items to a camper is #1000 +

You may say that silly but I challenge anybody that thinks that to weigh everything that goes in your camp "and truck"

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
The point being though, he does have that option. Especially in his use case, being 4 months seasonal at one location, he can always opt to purchase cheap throwaway replacements vs bringing it with him. Leaving things like bikes, firewood, BBQs, etc behind is a heck of a lot easier than asking the wife to lose weight so you're not overloaded.

As long as he's not over (or close) as per the sticker weights + and estimate for hitch, propane, and batteries, the rest is just cargo which can or cannot come with him.

I know people who do 3 month stretches in FL in a condo. They fed-ex a bunch of stuff down before they go. This let's them put the convertible in the cargo trailer vs bringing everything the wife wants and leaving the convertible behind. Same kind of principles can be applied here.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:03 AM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
The point being though, he does have that option. Especially in his use case, being 4 months seasonal at one location, he can always opt to purchase cheap throwaway replacements vs bringing it with him. Leaving things like bikes, firewood, BBQs, etc behind is a heck of a lot easier than asking the wife to lose weight so you're not overloaded.

As long as he's not over (or close) as per the sticker weights + and estimate for hitch, propane, and batteries, the rest is just cargo which can or cannot come with him.

I know people who do 3 month stretches in FL in a condo. They fed-ex a bunch of stuff down before they go. This let's them put the convertible in the cargo trailer vs bringing everything the wife wants and leaving the convertible behind. Same kind of principles can be applied here.
Correct!

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Old 06-17-2014, 08:05 AM   #19
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post

Fyi.

Tools
Leveling boards / chocks
Extension cords
Chairs
Pet food
Bedding / pillows
Clothes
Shoes / boots
Toiletries/ hair dryers /curling irons / hair spray etc etc
Cleaning supplies
Bath Towels / rags
Dishes/plates/cups/silverware / pots / pans / griddles / coffee maker / toaster / dish rags / towels
Bug repellents / sun screen
Food /milk /steaks /pop water beer
Coolers/ ice / liquor
Firewood extra tv ' s / dvd's / Cd's
Stabilizer pads
Wh full of water
Bag boards
Portable grill
Bikes
Passengers
Dogs / cats
Books
Portable radios
Hammock
Portable fans
Games / puzzles
Cooking tri pod
Axe
Generator
Lanterns / lantern gas
Flash lights
Water hose
Sewer hose
WDH hitch and sway items

See what I mean?

Now as herk mentioned "modifications"

Jack stabilizers
Remote power awning
Add on battery / cables
Battery tenders
Remote water filter
Water regulator
Surge guard portable or hardwired
Satellite and receiver
Max air vent covers
Awning hold down poles
Awning lights led or otherwise
Slide out toppers
Step support
Towel dryer

I think the point is made lol!

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
This hurt my head just reading this list! LOL
Yep, 1000lbs plus is way easy to get too so OP just figure that number in to be safe than sorry

Old 06-17-2014, 08:08 AM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
This hurt my head just reading this list! LOL
Yep, 1000lbs plus is way easy to get too so OP just figure that number in to be safe than sorry
Almost had an Aneurysm writing it!

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"

Tags
flagstaff