Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2018, 11:08 AM   #1

Can I put a golf cart on this?

Hey guys, I have an 08 Roo 232 (Toy Hauler version) with the expanded metal rack on the front. Has anybody ever hauled a golf cart on that rack? I know it comes with ramps and you can put a four wheeler on it, but I'm not sure if it's safe enough to put a golf cart on. Mine will fit on it, but last year when I tried it, I had a 1/2 ton F150 and it was too much tongue weight. Now, I have a RAM 2500 4x4, so I'm not worried about tongue weight anymore; I just wanna make sure the trailer frame can handle it. Anybody done this?

I've searched all over the internet for the specs on this trailer, but can't find anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1993.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	324.3 KB
ID:	169537   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4779.jpg
Views:	1388
Size:	477.7 KB
ID:	169538  
holliwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:24 AM   #2

My suggestion:

Weigh your trailer ready to go camping, but without the golf cart. Fill the FW tank, if that's how you travel. Subtract the TT's weight from the GVWR number on the sticker on the left side of the trailer.

Whatever you have left is the limit for the weight of your golf cart. If your golf cart weighs more than this, it's too heavy.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:24 AM   #3

I was able to find this link on used one for sale that listed the spec's. That should give you some information.

https://www.parrisrv.com/product/use...o-232-843479-4
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliwood View Post
Now, I have a RAM 2500 4x4, so I'm not worried about tongue weight anymore

this. is why, rv'rs get bad rap.

you should most definitely still be worried about tongue weight
thamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:12 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

This should be fairly easy to figure out:

1) What is the loaded weigh of the trailer with the golf cart on it compared to the GVWR of the trailer?

2) What is the loaded tongue weight of the trailer + weight of loaded truck compared to your trucks GCWR?

3) What is the loaded weight on each axle (truck and trailer) compared to their respective GAWR?

4) A lot of toy haulers I've seen will provide some kind of 'load weight rating' for the toy hauling part of the rig. If your rig has such posted, what's the weight of the golf cart compared to that?

And lastly, with the golf cart loaded, does it fit? I.e. can the rails be properly replaced, golf cart tied down, is anything sticking beyond the width of the rig, etc...
Old 04-25-2018, 12:17 PM   #6

Can I put golf cart on this

A cricket mini cart might work
The SX-3 weighs only 303 pounds and it can easily fold down to just 28 inches. This RV golf cart model is only 32 inches wide, and it can fit below any RV camper or on a carrier platform.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:57 PM   #7

Sorry to ruffle feathers, but I'm not some moron with a v6 S-10 trying to pull a 35 foot triple axle. I have a class 5 hitch on an HD truck that can handle 2500 lb tongue weight. That's more than enough for anything I own and will take camping with me, so once again, I am not worried about tongue weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thamel View Post
this. is why, rv'rs get bad rap.

you should most definitely still be worried about tongue weight
Old 04-25-2018, 01:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Sorry to ruffle feathers, but I'm not some moron with a v6 S-10 trying to pull a 35 foot triple axle. I have a class 5 hitch on an HD truck that can handle 2500 lb tongue weight. That's more than enough for anything I own and will take camping with me, so once again, I am not worried about tongue weight.
youre not getting why tongue weight is important, regardless of how much you can carry.

i promise you on a 5000 pound trailer if you have a tongue weight of 2300 its gonna tow like ****.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:04 PM   #9

I'll have to check into all of that. I'm still doing all my pre-season prep to get it ready for camping, so I'll run the numbers and check everything out. Regarding weather it'll fit or not; it is a very tight fit and I would have to leave the side rails off with the golf cart on. It only sticks out about 4 inches from the passenger side loaded, which I could get away with. Most of my friends that camp with us that have F250s, 2500s, etc.. usually just load their golf carts into the truck bed, but with short beds, you have to take off the tailgate, and I'd prefer not to have to do that (gotta unhook backup camera), so I'm exploring my options. I'd like to put another hitch on the back of the trailer and just double pull a utility trailer, but I have a tool box bolted to the rear. And, yes you CAN double pull in Texas for those of you that are gasping for air right now wondering why anyone would do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
This should be fairly easy to figure out:

1) What is the loaded weigh of the trailer with the golf cart on it compared to the GVWR of the trailer?

2) What is the loaded tongue weight of the trailer + weight of loaded truck compared to your trucks GCWR?

3) What is the loaded weight on each axle (truck and trailer) compared to their respective GAWR?

4) A lot of toy haulers I've seen will provide some kind of 'load weight rating' for the toy hauling part of the rig. If your rig has such posted, what's the weight of the golf cart compared to that?

And lastly, with the golf cart loaded, does it fit? I.e. can the rails be properly replaced, golf cart tied down, is anything sticking beyond the width of the rig, etc...
Old 04-25-2018, 01:18 PM   #10

I get what you're saying about that. My comment about tongue weight was regarding the fact that I'm not worried about weather my hitch can handle the weight of the trailer with the golf cart loaded. I know it can. I'm trying to figure out (pretty much exactly what you're concerned with) if with the golf cart loaded, will it make the front too heavy. But, I need to know if the rack can even safely hold the golf cart before I load it up and test it out. I have a weight distribution hitch with anti-sway bar on it, so I don't think I'll have that much of an issue with sway. Last season, I was pulling the trailer fully loaded, front rack full (about 5000 lbs total) with 5 people in the truck and the entire bed loaded with coolers, bikes, grills, etc.... in an 05 F150 2wd half ton, and not one single time did I ever have an issue with swaying going down the road, so I SHOULDN'T have that issue with the new truck. Not saying I won't, but hopefully the golf cart won't weight too much. It's about 1000 lbs, and I think my trailer tongue weight is around 700-800 lbs. I can't remember exactly right now, but I'm estimating the tongue weight would be around 1800 lbs loaded. Most of the other stuff we load in the trailer goes in the back to offset the front weight (due to previously pulling with a 1/2 ton). I'm gonna run the numbers and load the cart up and see what it looks like. If it looks concerning, I will find another option.

Quote:
youre not getting why tongue weight is important, regardless of how much you can carry.

i promise you on a 5000 pound trailer if you have a tongue weight of 2300 its gonna tow like ****.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:19 PM   #11

I actually just found that link earlier and was already looking at that trailer, but my rack is way smaller than that one, so that one is way heavier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
I was able to find this link on used one for sale that listed the spec's. That should give you some information.

https://www.parrisrv.com/product/use...o-232-843479-4
Old 04-25-2018, 01:27 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Can my truck tow this is always an emotional subject. Most of the issues come from confusion of terms and marketing fluff. In order to get accurate answers, it is important that the right information is provided and the right questions are asked. I can pretty much guarantee you that your vehicle can not handle 2500lbs tongue weight. Your load capacity may be 2500lbs.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:30 PM   #13

Quote:
I get what you're saying about that. My comment about tongue weight was regarding the fact that I'm not worried about weather my hitch can handle the weight of the trailer with the golf cart loaded. I know it can. I'm trying to figure out (pretty much exactly what you're concerned with) if with the golf cart loaded, will it make the front too heavy. But, I need to know if the rack can even safely hold the golf cart before I load it up and test it out. I have a weight distribution hitch with anti-sway bar on it, so I don't think I'll have that much of an issue with sway. Last season, I was pulling the trailer fully loaded, front rack full (about 5000 lbs total) with 5 people in the truck and the entire bed loaded with coolers, bikes, grills, etc.... in an 05 F150 2wd half ton, and not one single time did I ever have an issue with swaying going down the road, so I SHOULDN'T have that issue with the new truck. Not saying I won't, but hopefully the golf cart won't weight too much. It's about 1000 lbs, and I think my trailer tongue weight is around 700-800 lbs. I can't remember exactly right now, but I'm estimating the tongue weight would be around 1800 lbs loaded. Most of the other stuff we load in the trailer goes in the back to offset the front weight (due to previously pulling with a 1/2 ton). I'm gonna run the numbers and load the cart up and see what it looks like. If it looks concerning, I will find another option.

overloaded tongue isnt gonna give you sway so much as it can actually push the rear of the truck around and cause components to wear prematurely.

can also overload an axle either on the trailer or the truck depending on the ratings and configuration of the trailer axle(s)

have you ever weighed the tongue weight of the trailer without anything loaded?

since pretty much most of the weight of the golf cart is gonna be up front add the golf cart weight to your empty tongue weight and see if your under 20% of the GVWR of the trailer
Old 04-25-2018, 01:45 PM   #14

What is the weight of the golf cart? Also does Texas allow towing doubles if the first trailer is not a 5th wheel, I know most states require the first be a 5th wheel if doubles allowed, just curios.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:56 PM   #15

An electric golf cart will weigh in around 800lbs or less, A gas model about 600 lbs. I don't see them weighing down your trailer that much. You can always try it and check with the bathroom scale trick.
Cherokee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:59 PM   #16

No, I've never weighed the trailer. We just got it last season, and there's no weigh stations close to my area.

Quote:
overloaded tongue isnt gonna give you sway so much as it can actually push the rear of the truck around and cause components to wear prematurely.

can also overload an axle either on the trailer or the truck depending on the ratings and configuration of the trailer axle(s)

have you ever weighed the tongue weight of the trailer without anything loaded?

since pretty much most of the weight of the golf cart is gonna be up front add the golf cart weight to your empty tongue weight and see if your under 20% of the GVWR of the trailer
Old 04-25-2018, 02:00 PM   #17

I would estimate my cart is about 900-1000 lbs (electric). Texas does allow double pulling. Not sure about if the first trailer has to be gooseneck though. I know a ton of people here pull both bumper pulls though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
What is the weight of the golf cart? Also does Texas allow towing doubles if the first trailer is not a 5th wheel, I know most states require the first be a 5th wheel if doubles allowed, just curios.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:10 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have a 6 seater 48V (8x 6v) and it's around 1000lbs. That said, you are probably around 800 or so anyway. Looking at most trailers in the range of yours, they have around 1100lbs of CCC (from dry weight) You can eliminate about 150lbs from that, right off the bat. Adding in anything you may have loaded into your camper, (camping/cooking supplies, chairs, food, clothes, etc) you are very close to going over. Personally my thought is that an electric cart is too heavy. You may get by with a gas cart though.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:15 PM   #19
Always Learning

Quote:
No, I've never weighed the trailer. We just got it last season, and there's no weigh stations close to my area.
Doesn't look like anything super close, but searching around Magnolia, TX (on your public profile), it looks like there's a Loves truck stop in Waller
> 30710 Farm to Market 2920, Waller, TX 77484

And a couple of others, but they're pushing 45+ minutes away.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:31 PM   #20
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Doesn't look like anything super close, but searching around Magnolia, TX (on your public profile), it looks like there's a Loves truck stop in Waller
> 30710 Farm to Market 2920, Waller, TX 77484

And a couple of others, but they're pushing 45+ minutes away.
To add to what ependydad said, many landscape sales places or stone/rock/coal sales places have weigh scales. Our local landscaping place is very accommodating with letting you weigh as long as they are not super busy.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote