Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2017, 02:39 PM   #1

Can I use a motorcycle carrier?

My hitch is 7500 pound hitch. Sticker states 500 lbs tongue weight or 750 lbs distributed.

Manual says no more than 10% of hitch for tongue weight (which would be 750lbs)

Motorcycle is 486 lbs wet + 30-50lbs hitch carrier.

What do I go off of??? Is it over weight or not?

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2017, 03:07 PM   #2

The 500 Lb rating is what you go by, so you are going to be over. A carrier that has a 500-600 lb. rating is probably going to weigh 70-90 Lbs.

I carry my street bike only locally. It is 469 wet, carrier is 80 Lbs. My hitch is also rated for 500 tongue. I drain most of the gas to lessen the weight while on the carrier.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:07 PM   #3

I wouldn't worry about it. A trailer with 500# on the hitch is going to go way above 500# during hard braking so that is built in. Weight hanging on the hitch will stay static except maybe on big bumps. I would keep the rating of the carrier itself well over 500# as it's probably the limiting factor more so than the hitch. I also would stabilize it with a ratchet strap or two so there is no side to side wiggle. That constant wiggle of a common bike carrier in a hitch is what makes the whole RV bumper fail, like bending a paper clip back and forth.
I would also worry about getting that heavy of a bike on and off the carrier a few feet off the ground. That is the scary part to me.
What kind of bike?
I have a 75 Honda CB550 I would love to take on trips. I had a SUV and thought about the carrier but now I have a long bed Ram. Still just getting it in that bed 3' high scares the crap out of me. Bottom out on the break over of the tailgate and it's going to fall from 3' up.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:15 PM   #4

m/cyl carrier

i want to bring my beemer on our trips but it seems the only
solution will be a toyhauler. I'm not opposed just want to keep
my money with the camper price plus a new/used truck.
2015 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Pkg
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
tmfaulksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
What kind of bike?
It's just a little Honda NC700x commuter bike. I was really hoping not to sell it for something lighter... I had really high hopes reading the user manual which stated 10% of capacity, until i saw the sticker on the hitch itself. =/
Old 02-23-2017, 03:57 PM   #6

Use a heavy duty anti rattle device to stop all movement of the carrier in the receiver. Secure the bike so that it doesn't move at all. If you stop all the movement so that you have no jarring, you'll be fine. It's extremely rare for anyone to use a WDH on a flatbed, cattle trailer, cargo trailer, etc. And, if you live in a rural area, you see these all the time- and if they have much of a load on them, they are almost guaranteed to be over 500lbs tongue weight.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:38 PM   #7

I tow a jeep that I use an anti rattle bracket for. Was planning on using it for bike as well.
Thanks!
Old 02-23-2017, 05:22 PM   #8

Are you talking about the hitch on the trailer or tow vehicle? If it's the vehicle it's pretty easy to replace the hitch with a more robust one.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:55 AM   #9

Hitch on the RV. I would only take 1 vehicle. Either tow my jeep, or my motorcycle on a rack. not both.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:47 PM   #10

There is another way to go. Friend of mine had a hydraulic mount added for his Harley. Was welded itself to the RV frame so the hitch was out of the picture.

Worked well since he could put the bike on, raise the carrier, then still hook up his Toad for trips.

That being said I don't think it was an inexpensive option.

I can find out who the manufacturer was if interested.

Still have to make sure the extra weight on the frame would be ok. He has a big diesel pusher so more strength all the way around.
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:56 PM   #11
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Find a good Welding shop

Back when I had a TT that didn't have a rear hitch receiver I looked into buying one from Camping World and having them mount it. They said it needed to welded to the frame and that they don't do that so they said for me to take it to a local welder in Denton, TX that does any welding they need.

Long story longer, I called the guy for an appointment and he told me to not buy CW's hitch but just bring my TT to him and he would custom fabricate both the hitch and any supports needed for the TT. He did a bunch of stuff. Reinforced my bumper, made a hitch receive that he welded to a steel crossbrace that was welded to the TT frame rails, etc. When I looked under it was neat, clean and had support metal in all the critical points. He charged me $300 (2013 it was).

While I was leaving he said he was waiting on a guy to bring his Motorhome by because he was going to fabricate a ramp and rack so the guy could haul his Harley with him. He said he does those kinds of things all the time and that not just CW sent him customer but so did several other RV places in the area.

If you live near Denton, TX, PM me and I'll look for the shop's name. If not, suggest you find a good weld shop in your area and have them take a look at your need.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:44 PM   #12

Interesting... Would you happen to know if fabrication like that messes with your warranty at all? I would def be interested in it. I do know a good welder down the street, but not sure if he's done anything like what you describe.

I'm in San Diego, but I plan to travel a lot soon (hence the RV). Texas could easily be on that list.

Let me know!

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2017, 06:24 PM   #13

It would help if we knew what model RV is being used.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:57 PM   #14

Helkas ...I carry two scooters wieghing about 600 lbs on the back of my Georgetown and have some thoughts.

1. My original rig had a 500lb max tongue weight.
I had the local welding guy cut off the hitch and replace it with a class 4 hitch which would handle 1000bls.

2. That is what the HITCH will support and that does NOT mean the RV will support it. I called Ford on their F53 chassis and they indicated it would work fine with mine but they would advise against using it on any model that had welded extensions on the Ford Chassis. Interestingly...without prompting my welder checked for the same thing before starting work.

3. Even if the Chassis will hold the extra weight...you still have to stay withing coach weight carrying capacity AND rear axle carrying capacity...and it is worse, the further from the rear wheels the cycle rack will be. Think of a lever and fulcrum with someone 700 lbs jumping on the far end of the lever. There are formulas for figuring out how much ACTIVE force will result from a given load....a given distance from the rear axle.

We've taken two cross country trips with the scoots now and witout a problem.
BUT it would be dangerous if one of the above parameters were not able to be met.
If your rig works with it ...great. Suggest joehauler.com if you need a specialty rack fabricated. He is in the LA area and has lots of experience fabricated such racks AND a unique locking down system that allows no movement of the loaded rack.
If your rig does NOT work with it...consider a swivelwheel which will work without a hassle. The ultimate single wheel trailer system.

2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:41 PM   #15
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helkas View Post
Interesting... Would you happen to know if fabrication like that messes with your warranty at all? I would def be interested in it. I do know a good welder down the street, but not sure if he's done anything like what you describe.

I'm in San Diego, but I plan to travel a lot soon (hence the RV). Texas could easily be on that list.

Let me know!

Thanks!
It will void your warranty. Folks that do this stuff usually wait until after their usual 1-year warranty expires. I see other replies (Camaraderie) since mine that offer you good advice and a potential welder in your area.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:20 PM   #16

The "swivel wheel trailer" looks nice. Older thread about it here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ler-25801.html
Old 02-25-2017, 12:18 AM   #17

As to the fabrication and loading of a new hitch, and load voiding the warranty.... I spoke to an engineer at Ford who indicated that they could not give approval for something that heavy at the back of the frame...it alone would not void the warranty unless IT caused problems like a bent frame or separations from the coach/tanks etc. ....Of course if the coach was loaded beyond the rated capacity or rear axle capacity...then all bets would be off as far as warranty goes.
I would strongly suggest talking with someone at the VEHICLE factory before you commit to anything. Forest River can't help on this stuff.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helkas View Post
It's just a little Honda NC700x commuter bike. I was really hoping not to sell it for something lighter... I had really high hopes reading the user manual which stated 10% of capacity, until i saw the sticker on the hitch itself. =/
That parallel twin 700 motor is the best in the business IMO. My buddy bought a bike just like that a few years back when they first came out. Immediately sold me his old 700 Saber as the new bike is sooo much better. My son bought the Saber and I have the 550 now as I like the classic style. Now I'll probably sell it and get a Yamaha TW200 or hopefully a pair of them so we both can go trail riding. I don't ride the 550 much because it is just perfect and only has under 3500 original miles on it. Too nice a bike for me.

Not to advise anyone to go over a weight limit, but it would seem to me if you took some of the weight off the carrier and transferred it up to say the roof rack or something similar with a rachet strap, you could easily take 50 pounds off that carrier. Plus it would help stabilize it. I also have a trail 55 and a little rack designed for a 1" receiver I use on the back of my Subaru Forester and strap it down this way.

PS, for long distance travel with a bigger motorcycle, I added a single track to my waverunner trailer and it works great for a lot less then any of these other contraptions. I bet you can find a nice used single jetski trailer for under $500 just about anywhere. Nice low load height as well.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Helkas ...consider a swivelwheel which will work without a hassle. The ultimate single wheel trailer system.

The swivelwheel might be the ticket. I have a 1986 Goldwing Aspencade 750lbs dry just waiting to go someplace and a 35' Georgetown willing to take it.

Any experiences good/bad or indifferent would be appreciated.

Thanks.
wurlitzer28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorcycle