Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2018, 02:51 PM   #21

I found that with srw truck my weak link was the tires. Iooked into upgrading from E to G rated tires but figured it wasn't worth the hassle. A good portion of the weight you add goesim the front of your 5er (batteries, propane, fresh water, storage.....).
Jeffgut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:44 PM   #22

Didn't notice in your description, but a good transmission cooler will help with the gasser and any hill work that your travels may encounter.
card16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:39 PM   #23

X2. First trip with our old 5er we toasted the trans in our 97 F250 diesel. Cause, mountians and a poor excuse for a factory trans cooler. No trans temp gauge didn't help either.
Jeffgut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:55 PM   #24
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
The hitch weights you are using are the marketing ( unloaded) numbers, Your hitch weight will be approx 20% of the max gross trailer weight. Between pin weight and frontal area, I suspect you need more truck.
And... you have to fill the thing with your junk, stuff like food, bed linen, clothes, fishing kit, mountain bikes, fly sheet, outdoor carpet (for the entrance), BBQ and LPG, refilling the house LPG tanks, add the extra battery or 3, etc.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
And... you have to fill the thing with your junk, stuff like food, bed linen, clothes, fishing kit, mountain bikes, fly sheet, outdoor carpet (for the entrance), BBQ and LPG, refilling the house LPG tanks, add the extra battery or 3, etc.
Sounds very doable~ but not for me. I will never pull any 5er over 11,000 with a 250/2500 or a gasser. Been there, done that and learned it is not the way I will go again.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:54 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIDE OUT View Post
This will be our first fifth wheel.We're looking at (first choice) cedar creek 33IK GVWR 14,067, hitch weight 2,067, length 36'11".Or the 29IK GVWR 13,985,hitch weight 1,985 length 33'11". My truck is a 2017 F250 FX4 6.2 gas engine, 16,000 lbs.tow cap. 8' bed, 430 gears, camper/snowplow pkg. payload 3,195. Just me and the wife and I am leaning towards the Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch.what do you think? yeah or nay? Also, do you think I'll need airbags? With the camper pkg, I have an additional spring in the back and a sway bar. Thanks, all info, and opinions will be helpful.
I think the numbers work for you, but most would tell you that for anything over 8000 you would be better off with a diesel instead of a gasser. The gasser will pull it, but on hills you will be going VERY slow. The engine will be screaming because the transmission will downshift to get the RPMs up where the gasser will develop the torque necessary to pull up the grade.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:44 AM   #27

You have just over 1100 pounds before you go over payload (that was my payload on my Tundra ) and 1927 ish in towing capacity as you load storing items that go in kitchen/ bedroom ect you will distribute some of the weight not all the weight will be pin weight I know the weight of items add up quickly but for weekends you should be plenty fine Again my Tundra handled the Rockies just fine passing lots of diesels but your on vacation what’s the rush. Also wait and see how much you sag before buying airbags or consider timbren/sumo or aircel I used the first two on the 1/2 tons was nice for the Tundra needed on eco boost have the aircel on the 350 sag was just barely noticeable but made it look like brights were always on. Again wait and see
Old 03-14-2018, 12:08 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
I think the numbers work for you, but most would tell you that for anything over 8000 you would be better off with a diesel instead of a gasser. The gasser will pull it, but on hills you will be going VERY slow. The engine will be screaming because the transmission will downshift to get the RPMs up where the gasser will develop the torque necessary to pull up the grade.
As long as you let the gasser do what it was designed to do then you will not be going VERY slow up hills. Let it REV, don't be skerrd! I pull over 12k loaded with a gasser and can maintain cruising speed up a hill. But you can't wait until halfway up a hill to realize that you need to get on the throttle because then you will be playing catch up and that ain't no fun. Be proactive. Sometimes you get stuck behind semi's and that ain't no fun either, but that's just life on the road.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:23 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIDE OUT View Post
This will be our first fifth wheel.We're looking at (first choice) cedar creek 33IK GVWR 14,067, hitch weight 2,067, length 36'11".Or the 29IK GVWR 13,985,hitch weight 1,985 length 33'11". My truck is a 2017 F250 FX4 6.2 gas engine, 16,000 lbs.tow cap. 8' bed, 430 gears, camper/snowplow pkg. payload 3,195. Just me and the wife and I am leaning towards the Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch.what do you think? yeah or nay? Also, do you think I'll need airbags? With the camper pkg, I have an additional spring in the back and a sway bar. Thanks, all info, and opinions will be helpful.
I have learned asking a question like this is like talking politics and religion you will always have a different answer. I was in a feed store one day when the topic came up about horse feed one guy said pelleted feed was best and the other guy said grain feed was best WOW I thought their was going to be a fist fight
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:04 PM   #30
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
I have learned asking a question like this is like talking politics and religion you will always have a different answer. I was in a feed store one day when the topic came up about horse feed one guy said pelleted feed was best and the other guy said grain feed was best WOW I thought their was going to be a fist fight
That's part of the fun with forums. In the end, someone will be right. Your jib is selecting who.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:47 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn V View Post
As long as you let the gasser do what it was designed to do then you will not be going VERY slow up hills. Let it REV, don't be skerrd! I pull over 12k loaded with a gasser and can maintain cruising speed up a hill. But you can't wait until halfway up a hill to realize that you need to get on the throttle because then you will be playing catch up and that ain't no fun. Be proactive. Sometimes you get stuck behind semi's and that ain't no fun either, but that's just life on the road.
We used to have a gasser, an 06 F250 with the 5.4 Triton engine. We pulled a 28' 5er for 8 years with it. It did the job, just could not pass many gas stations at 7 MPG towing.

We even pulled our current 35' 12000+ 5er and it did the job too. But, crossing the Mississippi River bridge on I-10 into Baton Rouge I was down to 35 MPH at the top with the engine screaming.

Our newest truck, an 08 Silverado with the Duramax/Allison combo is still doing 62 MPH (cruise setting) at the top. It has dropped a gear but has not slowed down.

We just find the diesel a much more relaxing vehicle to pull with. We also have a 39 gallon Aux tank in this truck (I don't think you can do that with gasoline) giving us 65 total gallons so we can easily go 600 miles at 10.5 MPG without needing fuel. As I said, much more relaxing trips.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:12 PM   #32

We pulled our trailer with a 2005 Chevy 2500 6.0 for a few years. I got tired of worrying about the lack of power heading up the mountains in AZ. So we bought a 2016 duramax 2500. Love love love this truck. I set the cruise control. Turn on the exhaust break. And just wait for our turn off.
The 2005 pulls our trout boat.
The only problem I have had is the wife wants to drive the new truck. But she doesn’t feel comfortable towing the trailer. So she has to drive the old truck. And all the kids want to ride with her.
Nice and quite ride for me. no stress.
Mslaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck