Old 10-06-2015, 04:41 PM   #31
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Ah the classic tv fear mongering...

It's almost as bad as wanting to stream movies on campground wifi!

Old 10-06-2015, 04:46 PM   #32

Towing

Interesting . I think I am the guy pulling the 30 ft trailer you may be talking about. I pulled a 30 ft trailer from western Co to Branson Mo and back with a 2015 F 150 thu windy Ks. No problem the total wt .is 1500 under max gvcw , The Ecobost is the smaller 2.7 and I can tell you it pulled the passes in Co at 60 to 65 mph. I have had 40 ft motor homes that moved around on the road more tha this setup.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn brownlee View Post
Every one comparing big rigs to pick ups, Apple and oranges, a 30 foot camper is a big wind billboard with no weight to space ratios, I made a point and every 1/2 ton pick up truck owner took it personal, drive through the open plains of this country with a cross wind of 50 miles an hour with a 35' foot trailer and a 1/2 ton truck and you think that's safe, you've not done it, so you don't know. You misunderstood my point.
Lynn, this is not an appropriate point. Anyone driving any type of rig in the open plains with a cross wind of 50 mph is not very smart and will most likely find themselves in the ditch. If the winds are above 20 mph, I just relax where I'm at unless it's a tailwind. I'm retired and not in any hurry to get anywhere.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:05 PM   #34

Quote:
Every one comparing big rigs to pick ups, Apple and oranges, a 30 foot camper is a big wind billboard with no weight to space ratios, I made a point and every 1/2 ton pick up truck owner took it personal, drive through the open plains of this country with a cross wind of 50 miles an hour with a 35' foot trailer and a 1/2 ton truck and you think that's safe, you've not done it, so you don't know. You misunderstood my point.
I did not take it personal.

I also am VERY familiar with winds out west (We lived in NM for 15+ years)

And...I am here to tell you thatyou would be CRAZY to pull ANYTHING with 50MPH Crosswinds!

Too many times I have seen 40' MHs, 5ers being towed by 1T PUs and even semitrucks over the side of the road because they did not have the good sense to park it in high winds.

It's one thing to have the occasional 20-30 MPH crosswinds, but those afternoon spring winds in the Southwest that can top out at 65MPH are NOT to be trifeled with!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:07 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioFireFighter View Post
Not to get into it; but no, I don't think "every 1/2 ton pick up truck owner" took it personally...

There are plenty of people that do pull more then they should with their TV; no argument. The OP's scenario is certainly on the top end of what the truck is rated for; but that doesn't automatically make it unsafe, either.

The TT and TV are both comparable to my setup, and as someone with both their CDL, and experience driving emergency vehicles, I'm very aware of weights and vehicle dynamics. It's a lot for the truck, no question; but that doesn't make it "too much".

I'm fairly new around here - but there seems to be a strong vein of people that think towing any trailer with anything less then a 1t diesel dually are a menace; and in just about every thread about either new trucks, or how much trailer can I pull with what I have, that sentiment pops up fairly quickly...

Some people are more conservative then others, some people are in the position of being able to have a dedicated TV, not have to dual purpose a daily driver during the week, and a tow vehicle on weekends - but to make broad, and IMO, inaccurate statements like "Anyone towing more then 5500# behind a 1/2t is unsafe" does no one any favours.
x2
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:08 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioFireFighter View Post
Not to get into it; but no, I don't think "every 1/2 ton pick up truck owner" took it personally...

There are plenty of people that do pull more then they should with their TV; no argument. The OP's scenario is certainly on the top end of what the truck is rated for; but that doesn't automatically make it unsafe, either.

The TT and TV are both comparable to my setup, and as someone with both their CDL, and experience driving emergency vehicles, I'm very aware of weights and vehicle dynamics. It's a lot for the truck, no question; but that doesn't make it "too much".

I'm fairly new around here - but there seems to be a strong vein of people that think towing any trailer with anything less then a 1t diesel dually are a menace; and in just about every thread about either new trucks, or how much trailer can I pull with what I have, that sentiment pops up fairly quickly...

Some people are more conservative then others, some people are in the position of being able to have a dedicated TV, not have to dual purpose a daily driver during the week, and a tow vehicle on weekends - but to make broad, and IMO, inaccurate statements like "Anyone towing more then 5500# behind a 1/2t is unsafe" does no one any favours.
X2. There needs to be a like button.

2012 Dodge Ram 1500 crew cab 4x4 5.7L
2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2015, 05:30 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I would say no, not really. The ford people lie to sell trucks. Any thing over 25' should uses 3/4. A good cross wind will put a 5,500 lbs truck in a ditch or on its side. Truck should weight at least 75% of the weight of the camper

In reading that post and pulling my 28.5' trailer with a 1/2 ton truck during high wind warnings, here are my thoughts:

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:33 PM   #38

Safe is a relative term, please I mean no disrespect, I made the classic mistake that most people who love to go camping, I started out in a pop up, was happy with it for years, then moved up to a 25' with a big slide,thought it was the perfect camper, but wife wanted more room for more stuff, after I had bought a new 1/2 ton, well then we went bigger on the camper, moved up to a 38', loved my truck, all the truck specifications, said yes that truck can handle 10,500 lbs. Well that maybe true, but you then load up for a trip across the country, about 6,000 miles, drive across the scales, load up my grandkids and stuff and find out I weigh 16,680 lbs loaded. Truck says do not exceed 16,000.

So I'm running on two lanes with big rigs going the other way, and the wind coming off the the trucks puts my camper side ways. Then I'm coming across south Dakota and the camper is trying to go side ways. All the kids are screaming. Find out at the truck stop that they get 30 to 50 mile cross winds regularly in the open plains. Well - so much for weather watching, now, my truck pulled the camper great, it stopped the camper great, but it was like living on the edge on several occasions. Really not safe and until this experience I would defend my rig to any body who said other wise.
So I did a little research, what I learned is this simple truth,
just because you can,
doesn't mean you should.
If you want a big long camper or a big camping rig. Get a big truck, any manufacture your loyal to. Those specifications do not tell the whole story. Now I'm a firm believer in to each his own. Drive what you like - get the perfect camper, Be safe, happy camping and God bless each and every one. Keep your insults to yourself, i meant no one any harm.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:50 PM   #39
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Just cause you have a big truck and big trailer does not mean your go to go in 50 mph cross winds. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:51 PM   #40

This is true , hope you never do. Peace out