Old 05-18-2016, 03:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
How many peoples/cargo you looking at taking along?

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"
We have a family of 4 and I am assuming we take the typical cargo....clothes, bedding, kitchen necesscities, coolers, bikes, food. Maybe our yellow lab if she ever behaves better :-) I don't think we will often travel with water tank full.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:44 PM   #12

Hemi Durango or Grand Cherokee come to mind

jhoppmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:51 PM   #13
Moderators' Assistant

A crew cab truck will be way more versatile than a SUV and have more towing /payload capacity.
And they have plenty of room for your family, including the dog.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:10 PM   #14
ARLO

F150 ecoboost max tow. A bit much but gives you the capability to upgrade.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:11 PM   #15
ARLO

Super crew max tow
Old 05-18-2016, 05:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding5507 View Post
Newbie here!! We recently purchased a 2016 Solaire 147x (hybrid). We've been out twice and have loved every minute! Currently, we are towing with a 2013 Dodge Caravan but have not taken it more than 20 miles from home. We know we likely need to upgrade our TV. We plan to buy used and would like to go the SUV route.

Dry weight of camper: 3119 lbs. GVWR: 3815 lbs.

Do those of you with lots of experience have any suggestions? TVs to avoid?
Many thanks
You very well may use up that Caravan transmission towing with it. Some time ago, my Caravan trans went out, while towing a 2200 lb trailer. I then bought a 5-speed manual trans Toyota Tacoma and had no problem. Even when I added another 1200 lb. Pushing the load close to the 3500 lb tow cap of my Tacoma. Moral of the story, you are better off towing with a manual trans, if you can find one these days. Otherwise, I would buy a Crew Cab truck or SUV, that can tow 6000 lb, to give yourself a margin for error. You also want a trans cooler & temp gage pulling w/auto trans.

I feel Toyota & Nissan made better medium sized pickups & SUVs, during the past 15 yrs. A 2009-2005 Nissan Pathfinder 4.0L V6 & Auto Trans can tow 6000. So, can the 4.0L V6 Toyota 4Runner SUV. The crew cab pickup truck equivalents of these two would also work for you.

GM makes a real good pickup (Silverado 1500) as well, that can tow about what you need. The GM Tahoe would work, but they are expensive in my view. The 4.8L V8 & 5.3L V8 powered GM engines in a truck or SUV would be a good choice. I would avoid the turbocharged pickups. They are more costly & complex & don't get much better MPG. Maybe 1 mile more per gallon, or something in that range.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
A crew cab truck will be way more versatile than a SUV and have more towing /payload capacity.
And they have plenty of room for your family, including the dog.

Yea- what he said. The kids will want to bring friends. Firewood will add weight. And where to put the bikes? That's why many are leaning towards a pickup for you. Payload you would have to look into as a Honda Pilot has the same payload as my tundra. A ridgeline is about 1550.

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:08 PM   #18

We bought our TV when we were towing 4k pounds. It was way overkill, but WAY NICE! We made a 6k mile trip through the Rockies and were able to drive almost like it wasn't there.

I agree with the recommendation of shopping for more trailer than you currently have. You don't have to go crazy to a dually, but don't buy so close to the minimum that one upgrade of trailer sends you off truck shopping again. Not only will you be a little future proofed, but you will have an extremely relaxed experience with what you currently have.

We have since upsized and now tow 7k pounds. We didn't have to change trucks, and that has saved us many thousands of dollars. I can't recommend a CC truck enough over an SUV. A better towing platform, more space for stuff and more comfortable for passengers. I'm used to ours, and when I ride in a buddies Tahoe, I feel cramped...especially in the rear seats.

tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:07 PM   #19

So many responses...thanks!!!

We did some looking tonight. I definitely get why so many are recommending a CC truck. But, we have many reasons for still wanting an SUV - beyond towing. We also hope to avoid a car payment so we hope to find a pretty even trade - not super easy to find a CC truck, in our price range, with low miles.

BUT, we did find a 2005 Chevy Tahoe 1500 Z71 (one owner, only 75K miles). 5.3L, v8, tow package with transmission cooler, and GVWR of 6800lbs. We have a WDH and sway bar, and will add the electronic break controller. I am relatively new but have read a lot and this seems to have the features many recommend given the size of our camper. Aside from giving up some cargo space, are we way off base here?

We don't intend to trade our Solaire in for many years. Because the Tahoe is priced right for us (similar to our trade in) we won't be out any additional money when it's time to trade it in than we would have been with our van.

Matt & Amanda
Indiana

2016 Solaire 147X
Spalding5507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:27 AM   #20
I go RV'ing not Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding5507 View Post
So many responses...thanks!!!

We did some looking tonight. I definitely get why so many are recommending a CC truck. But, we have many reasons for still wanting an SUV - beyond towing. We also hope to avoid a car payment so we hope to find a pretty even trade - not super easy to find a CC truck, in our price range, with low miles.

BUT, we did find a 2005 Chevy Tahoe 1500 Z71 (one owner, only 75K miles). 5.3L, v8, tow package with transmission cooler, and GVWR of 6800lbs. We have a WDH and sway bar, and will add the electronic break controller. I am relatively new but have read a lot and this seems to have the features many recommend given the size of our camper. Aside from giving up some cargo space, are we way off base here?

We don't intend to trade our Solaire in for many years. Because the Tahoe is priced right for us (similar to our trade in) we won't be out any additional money when it's time to trade it in than we would have been with our van.
I would say you are good to go, and seeing as it's a GM you are really good to go!

1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote