Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2016, 05:48 AM   #61
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Waiting, or trying to come up with something witty.....?👍🏻

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
A little from column A and a little from column B.. LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:07 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
A little from columb A and a little from columb B.. LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Awesome....

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 03-15-2016, 08:49 AM   #63

Sorry, didn't feel like reading thru all posts. My take on this:
I think this sort of statement is speaking about stability, and not so much acceleration.

People who say they "can't feel it back there" have probably had some experience with a poorly matched tow vehicle, or an improper setup, to the point that there was a lot of sway or instability. They were constantly aware of the load behind them, and it made for a stressful towing experience, versus a relaxed time going on vacation.

Conversely, a properly matched tow vehicle, with a properly setup WDH and other equipment, will cause the 2 vehicles to run more as a unit. For sure, when taking off from a stoplight, you will feel the difference with or without the trailer. But I think the point is that it's not stressful. And indeed, once you are up to speed, and cruising on the expressway to your destination, a good setup will allow you to have a normal conversation with the family, and you might actually forget it's back there.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
It appears as though our individual bias is skewing our perception of events. I think we can agree that, if someone truly "can't tell it's back there", they need their license revoked.

Edit: I will add that, the only time anyone in person ever made this statement was a 1/2 ton Dodge with a 5.7 Hemi. He was towing a 5W that would have already overloaded his truck, with a utility trailer behind that. Told me he had made lot's of runs even into the mountains and "couldn't tell it was back there". I just grinned and nodded.
Are you picking on my 5.7 Hemi? And for those that don't know, NO IT WASN'T ME! LOL!

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:35 AM   #65
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Are you picking on my 5.7 Hemi? And for those that don't know, NO IT WASN'T ME! LOL!

Jim
Attached Images

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:50 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
That is what it says on the side. Should I look under the hood? It sucks gas like one!

Jim
Old 03-15-2016, 10:04 AM   #67
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
That is what it says on the side. Should I look under the hood? It sucks gas like one!

Jim

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:52 PM   #68

Well. I towed a Roo 23SS 2500 miles and I can say I felt like it was not there. I have a new ram 1500 with the 5.7. It has all the needed stuff to tow safely. I used to tow our kiwi 23B with a Chevy 1500 and I knew it was back there. O I did add the equalizer four point sway hitch. I quest the only difference was doing 70 to 75 miles per hour and only getting 9 miles per gallon.
Bluemax542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:46 AM   #69

When I went from a tag trailer to my first gooseneck, that was a massive change with the "can't feel it back there"scenario. With all big tags, you would always get a little in and out when you past a semi or they flew by you, ect.

With my 32ft foot race trailer, once moving, you really can't tell its there because it is not 13ft high and loaded, it's only 10k. My fiver, you can tell its there but it is comfortable.

I always laugh when I hear that comment from these 1/2 ton or gasser guys. I've driven a gasser towing the same trailer as mine and you can barely speak in the cab as the motor is hunting for a gear and revving to 5k trying to get up the slightest include on the highway..... Lol
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:53 AM   #70

Lol. That's true! With my Reese Goosebox, the ride is so damn smooth with that air suspension over the old standard pin box setup. No clunking over bumps and separations in the roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsthetwoofus View Post
Reading all this post on my Droid Turbo, towing and don't know it's there sounds like something I would have said on an earlier post. To clarify...
If you are towing a 5th wheel with a hitch setting in the truck bed hooked to a 5er with steel on steel hook-up, you certainly know your pulling something. IF your pulling the same 5er with a Hensley BD3 hitch with air bag and shocks as part of the hitch you will not feel that 5th wheel going over the same tracks that just pounded you in your truck as you rolled over them, also although you know your pulling something you will not feel all beat to hell at the end of the day like you will fell with a steel on steel hook-up that alot of people toe with.
So guess what I'm getting at is a Hensley BD3 hitch is well worth the money spent.
You can even leave your coffee pot on the counter and it'll stay. Seriously...
Old 03-17-2016, 09:27 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGTO View Post
When I went from a tag trailer to my first gooseneck, that was a massive change with the "can't feel it back there"scenario. With all big tags, you would always get a little in and out when you past a semi or they flew by you, ect.

With my 32ft foot race trailer, once moving, you really can't tell its there because it is not 13ft high and loaded, it's only 10k. My fiver, you can tell its there but it is comfortable.

I always laugh when I hear that comment from these 1/2 ton or gasser guys. I've driven a gasser towing the same trailer as mine and you can barely speak in the cab as the motor is hunting for a gear and revving to 5k trying to get up the slightest include on the highway..... Lol
Exactly. That was my point.
"Once moving..."
Even with a great-handling rig, you know it's back there every time you have to start from a stand-still. Compared to when not towing, you will know it's back there.
Ask a semi-truck driver. When they aren't hauling a load, they're skipping gears. When they have a load, they know it's back there. That's not anything against their rig. It's just reality.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:38 PM   #72

If your setup is dialed in, you can easily forget it's back there until you look on the mirror and see 35 feet following you. I have a Ram 1500 with 8 SPD, 3.92 rear, and 10,050 lbs limit. Pulling a 35 foot TT about 7000 lbs. With the rear and 8 SPD, the acceleration is impressive. With my air bags and Equalizer hitch, there is no sway, lugging, or any hint of a loose front end. My wife drives it without a hint of nervousness.

I've driven trucks with a loose front end because the tow setup was wrong. It was frightening. And the sway was even worse. Tail wagging the dog feeling.

It's a whole combination of equipment to have the right setup. Some people get an expensive truck and TT, but skimp on the hitch. In that case, a HD 3/4 ton will tow worse than a 1/2 ton.
Major Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:50 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Malfunction View Post
If your setup is dialed in, you can easily forget it's back there until you look on the mirror and see 35 feet following you. I have a Ram 1500 with 8 SPD, 3.92 rear, and 10,050 lbs limit. Pulling a 35 foot TT about 7000 lbs. With the rear and 8 SPD, the acceleration is impressive. With my air bags and Equalizer hitch, there is no sway, lugging, or any hint of a loose front end. My wife drives it without a hint of nervousness.

I've driven trucks with a loose front end because the tow setup was wrong. It was frightening. And the sway was even worse. Tail wagging the dog feeling.

It's a whole combination of equipment to have the right setup. Some people get an expensive truck and TT, but skimp on the hitch. In that case, a HD 3/4 ton will tow worse than a 1/2 ton.

I agree the correct hitch is key I had nearly the same combo as you before upgrading my truck. I never got to the point that I felt so comfortable that I could have had the same statement as you. 3/4 truck does not need airbags and only squats about 1.5" with 900# on the ball. My 1500 ram would put the hitch in the ground without the hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:09 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Malfunction View Post

How right you are. Before I got a 5er my first TT scared the heck out of me! That is, till I put a weight distribution hitch and sway bar on it. What a difference that made!

I gave it to a guy that needed it when I got my first 5er. No need for it now. Will always have a 5er, unless I go to a MH. Even a cheap one like Harbor Freight sells makes a huge difference. Trust me, I know. That is what I had.

Jim
Old 03-19-2016, 10:34 AM   #75

We just drove up last night to camp. My buddy in his excursion was swaying like a bitch. This is a new TT. HE went from a 28ft to a 35ft. Wasn't ready for that... We hit the scales and weighed her and adjusted that and tightened the anti sway and reduced it a lot. He will throw on a 2nd anti sway for the highway tows. I'm just chilling towing the fiver totally relaxed. By the time he got to the destination he needed a neck massage from the stress!! Lol.