Old 03-13-2016, 09:32 AM   #1
Can't tell it's back there..... REALLY?

Maybe this is just a mild Sunday morning rant but.......

I have towed two TTs with my 3/4 ton RAM and it outweighs both of them. I have used a properly tuned Equalizer hitch on both and yet...

I can sure feel it back there. No sway, mind you, but there is a huge difference between my trucks performance when I am towing and when I am not.

Just back from a coupla months in Florida. I've probably got 30K towing miles in the last three years and yet.... I always know "it's" back there.

Had a neighbor at one of the SPs down there with a shiny new RAM 1/2 ton diesel crew cab 4x4. He was towing a TT slightly larger than mine. Very proud of his new rig and one of the first things he told me was how he could hardly tell anything was back there. WHAT??

More than once, I have had others say to me that with my truck/TT combo, I probably can't tell "it's back there". Well, I have to admit I just agree with them and let it go, but I always can tell "it's back there"

So ... what am I doing wrong?? Oh well, what got this going is a new post on here RE someone's new TV.

Have a great day.

2015 Flagstaff Super V 26VFKSS Emerald
2013 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 CTD
Sold... 2013 Shadow Cruiser 260BH
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:46 AM   #2
It is back there for sure. But, with a capable (all the weights are good) TV, and a good properly set up hitch, towing is comfortable. But, you sure see a lot of setups that must be white knuckle towing. Not for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tom & Renée
Durham, NC

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2012 Ford F-250, 4x4, 6.7 Liter Diesel
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:57 AM   #3
(Dry Huunday)
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
It is back there for sure. But, with a capable (all the weights are good) TV, and a good properly set up hitch, towing is comfortable. But, you sure see a lot of setups that must be white knuckle towing. Not for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
X2 on comfortable.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:59 AM   #4
I tend to say that with my F350 when towing my boat because with the Yukon (one of my other trucks) towing the boat and approaching a hill it is foot on the floor, but with the F350 6.0 diesel you barley notice it. With that said I do't believe there is any truck that performs the same with a trailer on back.
Retired Navy
Jake my sidekick (yellow Lab)
2006 F350 6.0
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:10 AM   #5
I pulled a 16' boat with my old 3/4 ton and I really only knew it was there when taking off from a stop, other than that I would forget it was there. Even braking didn't affect the truck. When I pulled my old 25' boat, I knew it was there but I had this feeling, don't really know how to describe it, that the truck just felt better towing it around. Now with the WJ, I definitely know it is back there. I am comfortable towing it but the truck has to work harder in all aspects and I can feel it.
2016 Windjammer 3006WK
2010 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Diesel, Front Hitch, Air Lift 5000 Rear Air Bags.
Equalizer E4 1.4k/14k WD Hitch.
Furrion FOS48TA Observation Camera
Garmin RV-760 GPS
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:13 AM   #6
I think anyone stating they don't feel "it" back there are succumbing to a bit of hyperbole.
--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears;
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:17 AM   #7
Who Dares, Wins
When I towed with my 1/2 to I knew it was there. Now with the HD I could say it is NOT back there... I know it is there and I see the change in performance but the truck pulls it without a hiccup. I do have a fairly light trailer though. I also out power cars up hills now with the cruise set at 65.

I will agree though, I roll my eyes when someone says they have a Ranger that pulls' a triple axle toy hauler without even knowing it is there.. To me they are making excuses to save face at their white knuckle driving. Kind of like when they say, "My (insert whatever) pulls the trailer GREAT!! No, problems.... I just need to go real slow and cannot get up a hill at more than 40mph..." What??!!!

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #8
Both the lite and 250 are close to each other weight wise.

I know it's back there all the time, it's like a smallish parachute.

10.1 or less when towing, I know at the pump what's been behind me.....
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:23 AM   #9
If you have ever 'Deadheaded' a semi tractor any distance you appreciate getting back under a trailer. That said, when you are hooked up to your TT with the right hitch and TV sized to the load then yes you should know it's there. A properly setup unit should feel and handle right in most all conditions. To say you don't know it's there is saying you are trying to ignore what's going on behind you.
2016 RAM 1500 - 2016 Keystone Laredo 265SRK
The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:35 AM   #10
Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I don't think anybody really doesn't know it's back there. I believe the phrase is nothing more than a figure of speech meaning that they feel their vehicle combination drives/tows well. At least I hope so! The LAST thing I want is to be on the road anywhere near someone who is towing and "Doesn't know it's back there".

'04 GMC Sierra 2500HD, CCSB, D/A, MaxBrake, B&W Companion, Retrax Pro, AR Power Steps
2013 Rockwood 8289WS w/Diamond pkg
1969 Camaro RS/SS Convertible
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote