Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2015, 09:43 AM   #1

Question CAT Scale Question

Hello Everyone, When I picked up my new Trailer I went straight to the CAT Scale with my Tow Vehicle and trailer unloaded. I only had time to pull the TV and Trailer with WD system attached onto the scale and I received my TV front and rear axle weight as well as the Trailers axle weight. My question is according to the sticker on my 832 IKBS the dry weight is 7730, but the cat scale said the trailers axle weight was about 6900 lbs. Which one is correct? Or is the dry weight and axle weight two different things? Thanks!
twobytwo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:44 AM   #2
Always Learning

They're 2 different things. The dry weight is the axle weight plus the hitch weight.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:51 AM   #3

Thanks

So I take my CAT scale axle weight minus the dry weight to get the hitch weight correct?
Old 08-31-2015, 09:55 AM   #4

Also would that tongue weight include the electric lift, propane tanks full, and battery? Thank you again for your help.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:07 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobytwo97 View Post
So I take my CAT scale axle weight minus the dry weight to get the hitch weight correct?
Not really. The dry weight is a number that no camper ever comes off of the factory's assembly line as. It's generally a stripped down model with no options. It includes the weight of propane + tanks, but not a battery. Also because with your WDH, you're transferring some of that tongue weight to your front wheels and camper's wheels.

You really need to get all 3 weighings for a trailer trailer:
1- truck + camper w/ WDH
2- truck + camper without WDH engaged (just coupler on ball)
3- truck-only

Only then can you actually get a true measurement for tongue weight and to see if your WDH is properly dialed in. Additionally, you should REDO #1 at the time as #2 and #3 so that you're comparing apples to apples.

See here:
Learn To RV: How to Weigh a Travel Trailer

Once you have weigh slips, you can use this to "run the numbers":
Actual Weights - Travel Trailer/Bumper Pull Weights from CAT Scales - Towing Planner

Quote:
Also would that tongue weight include the electric lift, propane tanks full, and battery? Thank you again for your help.
Yes and no. Some percertage of those things will be added to the tongue weight, but not all.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:14 AM   #6

Thank you very much, that tow planner is what I really needed, I just need to get the unit weighed without the WD hitch engaged and I'll have my numbers. Now onto a new question thread.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:07 PM   #7

Hi ependydad, I did have one more question for after I get my last measurement, what should I look for as far as having the WD properly dialed in? Even weight on all 3 axles? Too much weight on 1 axle? Thanks.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:55 PM   #8

Fill your fuel tank(s) of the tow vehicle. If you fill those tanks before you cross the scale, it take a variation out of the equation. You will not have to measure your tow vehicle again, unless you replace it. Then you weight just the new vehicle.

1 gallon of gas can weight 6.073 and 1 gallon of diesel is 7.15 pounds. A 35 gallon tank can weight 212.6 for gas and 250.3 pounds for diesel.
racenviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:06 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Thank you very much, that tow planner is what I really needed, I just need to get the unit weighed without the WD hitch engaged and I'll have my numbers. Now onto a new question thread.
So, truthfully- you want to do all 3 weightings at one time. It takes any guess work out (was there this/that/other thing in the truck at the same time?).

Quote:
Hi ependydad, I did have one more question for after I get my last measurement, what should I look for as far as having the WD properly dialed in? Even weight on all 3 axles? Too much weight on 1 axle? Thanks.
I'm the wrong person to ask here- I believe you want to return the weight to your front/steer axle that is removed when you hitch up. As long as you get that back to where you started, you're good. But, this is where I refer you to owners manuals for the truck + WDH and/or other folks on the forum. I just know *how* to way and process those numbers.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:25 PM   #10

Two by - when you re-weigh your rig as detailed above, you'll want to adjust the WD hitch so that the TV front axle weight WITH WD bars attached is as close as practical to the front axle weight of the truck alone.

Tags
cat