Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2019, 11:07 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT5200 View Post
I did that. The nose of the trailer is 1/8" lower than the back. Perfect.... I thought.
Good enough for the girls I go with (as my college roommate used to say).
I'd run it without hesitation.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
Good enough for the girls I go with (as my college roommate used to say).
I'd run it without hesitation.
Concur. It seems you're pretty close. Measure your front & rear wheel well top with the TT connected on the ball WITHOUT the WDH spring bars attached. Wouldn't hurt to measure the front & rear of the TT, too. Then install the WDH spring bars and measure again. Then you can tell how effective your WDH settings are. Current Ford guidance is to return the front height HALFWAY between unloaded disconnected and loaded connected with spring bars. IMHO, the closer you return the tow vehicle to level, the better. 1/2 ton trucks are designed to be tail high when unloaded. Unless radically angled front high from the load, I'm not sweating the headlight concern. Otherwise, truck makers would have headlight auto level systems installed for differences between unloaded and fully loaded states.
Boomerweps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:48 PM   #23

j.C. !!!!! a ROO on a 150. GO CAMPING AND HAVE FUN !!!!
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
Concur. It seems you're pretty close. Measure your front & rear wheel well top with the TT connected on the ball WITHOUT the WDH spring bars attached. Wouldn't hurt to measure the front & rear of the TT, too. Then install the WDH spring bars and measure again. Then you can tell how effective your WDH settings are. Current Ford guidance is to return the front height HALFWAY between unloaded disconnected and loaded connected with spring bars. IMHO, the closer you return the tow vehicle to level, the better. 1/2 ton trucks are designed to be tail high when unloaded. Unless radically angled front high from the load, I'm not sweating the headlight concern. Otherwise, truck makers would have headlight auto level systems installed for differences between unloaded and fully loaded states.
Wheel well measurements are not needed, the OP already has actual cat scale numbers. An adjustment to his hitch, as others have mentioned, is all that is needed to move some weight off the rear axle and distribute it to the front of the truck and back to the trailer axles.
2004 Suburban 2500 8.1 liter, 4.10, tow rating 12,000, GCWR 19,000, Doorjamb payload: 2108
2003 Suburban 1500 Z71, 5.3/3.73, airbags, LT tires, Big Brake Upgrade, Prodigy P2
Shamrockthecasbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:53 PM   #25

I first thougt that more would go to trailer axle, but only about 1/3th here. Mayby it is because this is a tandem axle trailer.
So to lower the rear axle by 120 lbs, thightening the hich , about 80 lbs goes to front and 40 lbs to trailer. I think for a single axle trailer, front/ trailer will be about 50/ 50.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, weight