Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2019, 12:01 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Chico, CA
Posts: 34
CAT Scale Weights

...Okay, finally got to the CAT Scales. I ran the numbers through a "Actual Weights" site and was a little confused. From what I can tell/understand the rear axle is over weight by 120 lb and tongue weight is 14.4%. Correct?


BTW... Thanks for all the help in getting me this far.



We are loaded up far more than we normally would be as we moving a lot of stuff that normally wouldn't be in the bed of truck.


So it looks like I need to move a 150 lbs or so into the trailer. Am I correct in assuming this? Am I ready to go?



Here is the data:


Truck and TT with WDH engaged:
Steer Axle - 3100
Drive Axle - 3920
Trailer Axles - 5560
GCVWR - 12580


Truck and TT with WDH not engaged:
Steer Axle - 2880
Drive Axle - 4240

Trailer Axles - 5460
GCVWR - 12580


Truck Only:
Steer Axle - 3260
Drive Axle - 2940


The truck is rated:
GAWR Front - 3525
GAWR Rear - 3800
GVWR - 7050
GCWR - 17100
Payload - 1837
Towing Cap. - 11800


Trailer
GVWR - 6499
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck_level_1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	211151  
__________________

__________________
Mike & Janine
2020 Roo 21SS
2018 Ford F150 XLT... Supercab... 3.5 Eco... 4x4... MAX Tow.. 3.55
MikeT5200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:13 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT5200 View Post


So it looks like I need to move a 150 lbs or so into the trailer. Am I correct in assuming this? Am I ready to go?

That's a heavy little camper, wow! Yes if you could shed some of your payload you should be golden.
__________________

SquiggyFreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:14 PM   #3
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,482
I assume this was the site that you ran the numbers through:
Actual Weights - Travel Trailer/Bumper Pull Weights from CAT Scales - Towing Planner

I made that.

So, yes:
The truck is rated:
GAWR Front - 3525 vs. 3100 actual
GAWR Rear - 3800 vs. 3920 actual
GVWR - 7050 vs. 7,020 actual
GCWR - 17100 vs. 12,580 actual
Payload - 1837
Towing Cap. - 11800 vs. 6,380 actual

Trailer
GVWR - 6499 vs. 6,380 actual

So, as you said - you're 120 lbs. over on the RAWR of the truck but under on all of the other ratings.

The only thing that I don't see you list is what are your tires rated at?
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:15 PM   #4
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT5200 View Post
So it looks like I need to move a 150 lbs or so into the trailer. Am I correct in assuming this?
You'll then be close/over on the trailer's GVWR:
  • Trailer GVWR: 6499 vs. 6,380 actual
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:07 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,384
We're jockeying things around for 150#?
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:52 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 659
Go enjoy your trip
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:37 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,188
I look at your pic and it looks like your rear is squatting a little to much. It seems to me you could adjust for the 150 lbs to the front axle.

Your front axle is 160 lbs less with the trailer attached than the truck alone.
__________________
2016 Siverback 33IK
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:44 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Chico, CA
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I assume this was the site that you ran the numbers through:
Actual Weights - Travel Trailer/Bumper Pull Weights from CAT Scales - Towing Planner

I made that.

So, yes:
The truck is rated:
GAWR Front - 3525 vs. 3100 actual
GAWR Rear - 3800 vs. 3920 actual
GVWR - 7050 vs. 7,020 actual
GCWR - 17100 vs. 12,580 actual
Payload - 1837
Towing Cap. - 11800 vs. 6,380 actual

Trailer
GVWR - 6499 vs. 6,380 actual

So, as you said - you're 120 lbs. over on the RAWR of the truck but under on all of the other ratings.

The only thing that I don't see you list is what are your tires rated at?

Yes I did...Nice Program BTW.



I swapped the Castle Rocks (which were LRD's) for Goodyear Endurance (also LRD's). They are 2040 lbs at 65 psi. There's not a big choice in 14"


The truck has the stock Goodyear Wrangler - 275/6518R with 116T rating (2756 lbs at 51 psi).
__________________
Mike & Janine
2020 Roo 21SS
2018 Ford F150 XLT... Supercab... 3.5 Eco... 4x4... MAX Tow.. 3.55
MikeT5200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:55 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Jim34RL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Oswego il
Posts: 1,814
You could change out the Goodyear tires for a set of Michelins tires. The Michelins tires are LT275/65R18/E 123/120R rated tires. The load index for this tire would be 3417LBS each which will provide an improvement over the stock tires that you have on the truck now.

With the Michelin tires on the truck, I would not worry at all about being 120LBS over your rear axle weight. As the tires are the driving force when computing axle load ratings for the manufacture.

The manufacture really does not look at load carrying ability as much as giving the 1/2 ton model trucks a similar ride like a car has.
__________________
Jim W.
2016 34RL CC; 2008 Ram Mega Cab 2500HD, 6.7L, 68RFE 6 speed, 4X4, Smarty S67, TDR 135K+miles
Jim34RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:23 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Chico, CA
Posts: 34
Cat Scale Tickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
You could change out the Goodyear tires for a set of Michelins tires. The Michelins tires are LT275/65R18/E 123/120R rated tires. The load index for this tire would be 3417LBS each which will provide an improvement over the stock tires that you have on the truck now.

With the Michelin tires on the truck, I would not worry at all about being 120LBS over your rear axle weight. As the tires are the driving force when computing axle load ratings for the manufacture.

The manufacture really does not look at load carrying ability as much as giving the 1/2 ton model trucks a similar ride like a car has.

I agree.... I was looking at the exact same tire for the truck. I just wish that it was in the budget right now. The stock tires are rated for 2715 lbs each so 5512 lbs far exceeds the 3800 GAWR.


Plus having the truck and trailer loaded this much is really only a 1 time trip (2600 miles).
__________________
Mike & Janine
2020 Roo 21SS
2018 Ford F150 XLT... Supercab... 3.5 Eco... 4x4... MAX Tow.. 3.55
MikeT5200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:01 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Chico, CA
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
We're jockeying things around for 150#?

...I was think the same thing. However, I would like to stay under all the max weight ratings.



This is a 1 time trip (2600 miles) to be this heavy. I think I'll drain a little more fresh water out and move some weight back to the trailer.



Of course, once I use about 20 gallons of gas I'll be under the GAWR.
__________________
Mike & Janine
2020 Roo 21SS
2018 Ford F150 XLT... Supercab... 3.5 Eco... 4x4... MAX Tow.. 3.55
MikeT5200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:31 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,188
I still think your rear end is sagging. It seems you could adjust the WDH to move that 150 lbs to the front axle. Your front axle weight is 160 lbs less with the trailer connected than truck alone. Just a suggestion...
__________________
2016 Siverback 33IK
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:35 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,384
I wouldn't sweat 150#.

I would agree to bump the WDH one more link though.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:01 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Chico, CA
Posts: 34
Scale Weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I still think your rear end is sagging. It seems you could adjust the WDH to move that 150 lbs to the front axle. Your front axle weight is 160 lbs less with the trailer connected than truck alone. Just a suggestion...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
I wouldn't sweat 150#.

I would agree to bump the WDH one more link though.

..."One more link"..... Would that be like adding another washer? Won't that also lift the nose of the trailer up?


I have an Equalizer 4Pt.
Thanks
__________________
Mike & Janine
2020 Roo 21SS
2018 Ford F150 XLT... Supercab... 3.5 Eco... 4x4... MAX Tow.. 3.55
MikeT5200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:13 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 81
Yes, you need to add a washer or 2.

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/manua...on-adjustments
__________________
2019 Forester 3011 DS
2015 Jayflight 28BHBE (sold)
2015 Ram 2500 Megacab 4x4 6.4 L Hemi 4.10 gearing

"Is this a game show?"
sugarray40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:13 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT5200 View Post
..."One more link"..... Would that be like adding another washer? Won't that also lift the nose of the trailer up?


I have an Equalizer 4Pt.
Thanks
Mine are chains....

Yes, it would lift the nose of the trailer, too. Looked like it could use it, but a tape measure would confirm it.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:20 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 66
Hasn't been said yet, I don't think, but you could just loose the camper shell. That has to weigh at least 120 lbs.
Other wise, it looks like you're setup pretty good. My truck / setup looks very similar, just a longer rig.
__________________
Me, the wife, & 2 daughters (9 & 4yrs old)
2019 Palomino Puma QBSS
2015 Silverado LTZ / Z71 w/ many upgrades
GXPWeasel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:51 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Dayton Ohio
Posts: 1,090
Truck should be higher in the back than the front . Yours is not. Springs appear overloaded. Numbers indicate that.

The tongue of the trailer is low.

Need spring help in the back. Sumitro or air bags. I have Timberins. SP

Then you have to adjust hitch heigh. Then adjust bars. Seem good now.

Or do nothing and be happy. If you do not tow much likely you will be ok.

The rear sag damages the drive in 20,000 miles. Causes goofy handling. Poor braking. Blinding other drivers at night is easy to avoid. Do not drive at night.

Half ton trucks do not tow so well when payload is exceeded. I suspect fixing the sag will fix you.

Check the truck tires out. Likely the truck has passenger not lt tires. Not a good thing.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:04 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Chico, CA
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
Mine are chains....

Yes, it would lift the nose of the trailer, too. Looked like it could use it, but a tape measure would confirm it.

I did that. The nose of the trailer is 1/8" lower than the back. Perfect.... I thought.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GXPWeasel1 View Post
Hasn't been said yet, I don't think, but you could just loose the camper shell. That has to weigh at least 120 lbs.
Other wise, it looks like you're setup pretty good. My truck / setup looks very similar, just a longer rig.

The topper is actually 205 lbs (I believe). We carry some expensive bikes in there (2 mountain and 2 road bikes) plus some cycling gear. It keeps them out of the weather and "some what" safe.
__________________
Mike & Janine
2020 Roo 21SS
2018 Ford F150 XLT... Supercab... 3.5 Eco... 4x4... MAX Tow.. 3.55
MikeT5200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:11 AM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT5200 View Post
I did that. The nose of the trailer is 1/8" lower than the back. Perfect.... I thought.
Needs based on beginning measurements, not compared. Use the hitch manual, took me a couple tries to get mine right when I had a 2011 F150 CC with ecoboost.
__________________

__________________
2019 Forester 3011 DS
2015 Jayflight 28BHBE (sold)
2015 Ram 2500 Megacab 4x4 6.4 L Hemi 4.10 gearing

"Is this a game show?"
sugarray40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cat, weight

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 AM.


×